Any of these laptops good?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
thiopl

Any of these laptops good?

Post by thiopl »

I got a hand me down HP Pavilion 11t-n000 x360 with 4G memory. I ran a test with one of my clients' website which has large pages compared to that of my older laptop Dell D630 with 4G of memory and the Dell had the upper hand of finishing the publishing more than 1.5 min.

Do you think if I add a total of 8G to the HP, that it will speed things up on Xara? With other applications, it has no problem, but with Xara it seems slow.

What hardware Xara takes advantage of for web design.

Nomad

Re: Any of these laptops good?

Post by Nomad »

I would download and run GeekBench on your laptops to get an idea of CPU performance.
More RAM generally helps performance, I generally max out the RAM because I run a lot of concurrent services.
If you use more RAM than you physically have, it will page out memory to disk and things will slow down massively.
If you use Windows, monitor your RAM requirements via Task Manager -> Performance.
The other great upgrade is an SSD drive, that often transforms performance.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Nomad wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:42 pm
The other great upgrade is an SSD drive, that often transforms performance.
Something I've always been wondering, so I'll threadjack and ask this here:

Why is the difference in price between a laptop with a mechanical hard drive, and one with an SSD with the same capacity, several times more than the cost of a SSD alone?

For example, you can find 1TB SSDs for under $100 on Amazon right now; lowest I see is $85.

But a laptop with a 1TB SSD will be $400-500 more than a similar laptop with a 1 TB mechanical drive. Like the cheapest 1TB SSD laptops go for around $7-800, but decent 1TB mechanical drive laptops run $300 or less.

Why is that? Or am I just looking in the wrong places?

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

bigato wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:15 pm
unemployable: because it sells. Most people don't want to deal with that level of changing parts.
I get that, but computers are usually one of the most cutthroat products in the world on price. Could so many people be moving to tablets and chromebooks that SSDs aren't much of a priority among a dwindling number of laptop buyers?

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

unemployable wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:01 pm
Personally, I upgrade laptops myself. It is quite cheap for an SSD.
I suspect manufacturers are just making excessive profits.