What cleaning supplies do you use?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Wyndirit

What cleaning supplies do you use?

Post by Wyndirit »

I'd like to be able to minimise the range of cleaning items we have in the house, and make sure we are getting good value out of what we use.

We had been using a whole range of things but I have run down supplies and now need to shop as haven't a huge amount left of anything.

- I do still have two large bottles of the antibacc dettol spray (the one in the clear bottle we use in the kitchen though, so won't need to change that until out is all used up.

I have read on line that star drops is popular in a spray bottle diluted, so was thinking of getting some of that. Does anybody make their own?

Also does anybody use a cleaning caddy of some description to carry cleaning products around from room to room?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks x

prognastat

Re: What cleaning supplies do you use?

Post by prognastat »

Distilled White Vinegar(disinfects), Baking Soda(helps scrub and remove odours), Rubbing Alcohol(really cheap flavourless, colourless high% alcohol like a cheap Vodka could work too).

EdithKeeler

Re: What cleaning supplies do you use?

Post by EdithKeeler »

Also does anybody use a cleaning caddy of some description to carry cleaning products around from room to room?
I just use a bucket. Double duty so when you need a bucket...

Vinegar kills some germs but not all. It does not kill staph. I tried using vinegar, but then I found out it wasn’t effective against everything. I have dogs, and I want to make sure I’m killing germs they drag in. Plus I don’t like my house smelling like a pickle jar!!

I like bleach (diluted) but it’s not great for the environment.

PineSol is good and the smell reminds me of my mom’s spotlessly clean house growing up. It’s what I still use to mop floors and wipe down counters, etc. It’s a broad disinfectant and is mostly biodegradable, and in addition to killing germs it cuts thru grease, etc. I mostly just use PineSol, bleach in the shower and bathroom (dilute, spray bottle), and dish soap and water.