A Luddite Asks: Should I Be Worried About the iCloud?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Mister Imperceptible

A Luddite Asks: Should I Be Worried About the iCloud?

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

I have resisted using the iCloud for privacy concerns. I have no doubt there are ways for those with sufficient means or knowledge to access the data on my phone, but hell, I don’t want to make it easier for them.

My iPhone battery is 4 years old and requires replacement. Apple recommends I perform a data backup before battery replacement. Am I best off using iTunes or are my fears unfounded?

prognastat

Re: A Luddite Asks: Should I Be Worried About the iCloud?

Post by prognastat »

I'm not too worried about storing/transferring my data through the cloud, but that of course depends on the level of privacy you think your currently have and how private your data being stored is.

Though in the end there really isn't any harm in backing up to iTunes rather than through the internet so really just do what you prefer yourself.

C40

Post by C40 »

Android is WAY better in this regard.

For things like pictures and music (and maybe others, idk) you can just plug an Android phone into a computer and move the files off like from an external drive. Apple intentionally makes it hard as fuck, automatically does a bunch of cloud stuff, and soon tells you about how you're near your data limit and you better start paying, and prompts me like 15 times a day on my computer to enter an icloud password and I've never figured out how to get that prompt to stop coming up. :-/

Mister Imperceptible

C40 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:53 pm
prompts me like 15 times a day on my computer to enter an icloud password and I've never figured out how to get that prompt to stop coming up. :-/
+1

chenda

Post by chenda »

C40 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:53 pm
Android is WAY better in this regard.
+100. I fooking hated iCloud in the end, so unintuitive to use. Android it's all backed up in one place on Google, so easy and organised.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

what is on the phone that needs backup?

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

The best way to keep a secret is never to share it. Storing data in any cloud infrastructure is equivalent to sharing a secret. Store your sensitive stuff locally on a non-internet accessible system with a super strong password. Unplug it when not in use. I prefer a storage device with a mirroring configuration to avoid data loss; encrypt the data.

niemand

Post by niemand »

If you’re concerned about privacy I’d be wary of Android and anything else owned by Google/Alphabet.
Google’s profit model is to sell your information to advertisers. I try to limit my exposure to them.

Also consider that ultimately all cloud services’ security can be compromised, and your data could be out there after a breach.

Like Brute I can’t think of much backup-worthy stuff on my phone, except maybe a few photos. For computer stuff, different story. I do all my personal computer stuff on my work laptop and don’t own any other PC device.
Therefore I’m using the free - but amped up to 18 GB - version of DropBox. As an additional step I use 256-bit AES encryption on every folder I consider sensitive.
It’s not perfect but it’s probably enough :geek:

Mister Imperceptible

BRUTE wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:15 pm
i could tell you but then i would have to kill you

jk, mostly hawt pix maybe

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

well, why doesn't Mister Imperceptible just copy those files to his computer manually? backup done.

Mister Imperceptible

yes yes, I know this is to be done.....I need to get a new computer....my concerns about the iCloud as an interim solution were validated