Is it worth it/possible to add disc brakes to a bike with rim brakes?

What skills to learn, what tools to get
Augustus

Is it worth it/possible to add disc brakes to a bike with rim brakes?

Post by Augustus » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:42 pm

I've had bikes with both, the disc braking seemed way more effective, especially in wet/dirty conditions, but maybe that's just because I had low quality rim brakes? I've been shopping craigslist, and I see that I can get a good quality bike for around $100 with rim brakes. I am wondering if I can upgrade the front brakes to disc brakes easily. Or would the money be better spent fine tuning the rim brakes and getting better rim brakes? Thoughts?

C40

Re: Is it worth it/possible to add disc brakes to a bike with rim brakes?

Post by C40 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:00 pm

no.

For a cheap/old bike, you'd want to adjust or replace the rim brakes. Doing what it takes to change (just the front) brakes to disc would likely cost way more than the $100 for the bike.

Unless you're riding in a place/way that gets the bike really muddy, good rim brakes in good adjustment are nearly as good as discs.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Disc brakes are easier for the user and harder for the mechanic. Rim brakes are the other way around. All brake-systems should be able to lock/skid the wheels. If you can lock the wheels, there's no difference. If you can't, you should adjust/fix your system --- become more mechanic.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:01 am

That is very helpful, thanks!