Tool sharing apps, tool libraries-who is using them?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
plantingourpennies

Tool sharing apps, tool libraries-who is using them?

Post by plantingourpennies »

The idea of a tool sharing app has been rattling around my head for a while-it turns out that it's been tried many times before with little success.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3050775/the ... -killed-it

It looks like these apps are all failed marketplaces-nobody is participating because there isn't enough value vs. other options like simply buying the tool.

I can find examples of successful physical tool libraries that operate as non-profits, but they appear to be mostly in big cities.

https://www.ellenmacarthurfoundation.or ... ic-utility

So is anybody using these apps, or belong to a tool library?

Gilberto de Piento

Re: Tool sharing apps, tool libraries-who is using them?

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Apparently some public libraries lend tools now.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Most projects require a bunch of different tools and so borrowing a set not knowing in advance exactly what you need might be more hassle compared to just owning them.

For slightly bigger/rarer tools, you can just rent them: https://www.homedepot.com/c/power_tools ... ent_rental ... complement that with a base set of tools which you can either build up cheaply via yard sales, etc. or just buy outright from harbor freight et al.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I use the free loan a tool at Autozone for automotive specific tools. These are tools that you’d use once every few years as a diy mechanic. The company did this to prevent people from buying tools and returning them after a project and to encourage people to buy parts at Autozone.

I just borrowed and returned a piston ring compressor and cylinder hone. I’m shocked how the tools are brand new when I get them. I returned them used. I suspect few people use the system.

Not quite a public library system. Berkeley had a tool library the last time I drove by a few years back. I heard the tools are useful but worn from a friend who uses it.

Reminds me I need to rent a big ladder from Home Depot to put a tile back on the roof.

Mikeallison

Post by Mikeallison »

This would be a great idea, but honestly with the price of tools at harbor freight, it just makes more sense to buy, especially if you are a diy type. There are tools that I pick up thinking they are a one time thing, and low and behold I use them all the damn time.
For example I picked up a pair of spring compressors for my little honda a year ago, and have already used them to change the suspension on three different cars.

Also, once you acquire the tools, alongside the ability to use them, you have a valuable skill for barter/community service. Instead of lending the tools, you can lend yourself and really help out.

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

In our farm community, there is unofficial network of friends and neighbors. Some are good contributors and borrowers and some are not. I've made mental notes of who has what and try to be a better contributor by purchasing a few specialty tools. That has given me some balance of the give and take.

When you are many miles from town and frequently need a myriad of tools, this often works well. Unfortunately there's pitfalls. I thought it was common courtesy to return a tool in as good or better condition than you borrow it. That is not always the case? And I thought that others would make effort for balance; contribute as much as they take. That is not the case either. The key has been to ID bad players early enough to limit your losses.

The big positive to this unofficial community system is the inventory that you can do without. Most of the redundancy is wasteful. But the negative is that you have to maintain a certain amount of your share of inventory and constantly evaluate new players.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

I feel these often fail due to the tragedy of the commons. It can work among a small group of friends where everyone knows one another personally, but the larger and less connected the group gets the more you'll get moochers that don't contribute and only use along with people who don't take care of the tools as if they were their own.

The people that put the most in both in effort and tools see their tools wear out faster without getting as much out of it and those that don't provide much get to use as much as they want.

bryan

Post by bryan »

I've used the Berkeley tool library a few times. Amazing concept and I think every suburban city/town should have such a thing.
plantingourpennies wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:04 am
It looks like these apps are all failed marketplaces-nobody is participating because there isn't enough value vs. other options like simply buying the tool.
Mostly a supply/demand mismatch, coordination, and critical mass problem. For instance, plenty of times I've wanted to borrow (or get for free) some small something (or expensive single-use thing), but freecycle/craigslist don't have it listed anywhere locally, right now. Such an app or platform needs to address these issues (common for many similar ideas, e.g. taxi apps, food delivery apps, auctions, home rentals, book share, etc) before it would be useful.
Sclass wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:46 am
I use the free loan a tool at Autozone for automotive specific tools. These are tools that you’d use once every few years as a diy mechanic. The company did this to prevent people from buying tools and returning them after a project and to encourage people to buy parts at Autozone.
So when do we think Amazon will get into the rental business?

@Mikeallison, I would agree (especially if you can take your time and buy tools at garage sales or wait for a free one to pop up on craigslist) if you have a home with a garage to store all the tools. I would love to have a personal workshop, but unfortunately it's not really an option if you are renting something smaller or are more transient/nomadic. While in the van, I'd thought many a time about joining/starting a tool sharing, workshop co-op or TechShop (r.i.p.).

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I really hate lending tools. I’ve had all the bad experiences. No return. Adoption. I mean the borrower started insisting it was his tool and I could not borrow it. Enough of that. Since I own a lot of tools I end up being the victim a lot.

Aww man, I lent my TIG welder out and it took an act of God to get it back. Once the idiot learned how to weld with it he never let it go. It became too valuable.

The most interesting was a guy I worked with. He was a good programmer and a lousy electrical engineer. I personally owned a microprocessor emulator that helped him overcome the latter. He borrowed it and it didn’t come back for two years. Since I didn’t design with that chip anymore I was lackadaisical about demanding it back. It turned out he’d been designing products for his division with this obsolete chip because he possessed the emulator which made his job easier. That is it enhanced his skill dramatically. His boss thought he was a genius. I finally left that job and demanded it back as I was packing up. Oh boy he put up a fight with every excuse to hold on to it. I literally had to pry it out of his paws. He even tried to give me the carrying case with all the cables without the emulator itself inside but I inventoried everything in the box and demanded the critical module.

It turned out his department was under funding constraints and his boss wouldn’t approve the $2000 purchase to acquire one as long as he could borrow mine. Then he designed two years with it till it was obsolete and unavailable from the vendor so he couldn’t design and maintain his legacy based products without it. It was too rare for eBay. He was just stuck. I was literally (in his mind)walking out of the company with his job in my moving box. It was pathetic. Employee mentality.

So I just hate lending tools. If they’re that good they often don’t come back. If the person is really good, they usually can obtain their own.

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

Two quick grain drill stories:

Years ago, I asked a neighbor to borrow his grain drill to plant thirty acres. It was in sad shape but functional. He'd literally duct taped the seed boxes and used cardboard with duct tape on a couple of the bigger holes. I thought it would be nice to fix it properly. Sheet metal is thin and difficult to weld properly, but I did a professional job and painted up all my welds and patches. Not only did he not even notice my significant efforts, but he charged me a lot for the use. I mean that I could have hired a custom planter and had money left over. So I got my own grain drill.

It wasn't long before a neighbor wanted to borrow it. It came back missing an entire drive chain. The borrower dropped the replacement by, but I had to put it back together for the priveledge of loaning it. I have another neighbor wanting to borrow it this fall. We'll see how that goes?