Something From Nothing Log

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
C40

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by C40 »

CALIFORNIA!! People [literally] throwing away money

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Some of my favorite things to find in the trash: foam. as in, from sofas etc.

1. easy to clean
2. can cut up in pieces to make seat cushions (that someone needs to sew cushion covers for, but that is a problem for future me
3. can be cut up in small pieces to make backrest pillows for bed
4. can be used to restore the furniture i inherited from the old hoarder guy who owned my apt before me. some of the armchairs are structurally sound but can use sturdier cushions that haven't been flattened out with age

found 3 pcs today and my only regret is they aren't larger.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Sold a couple SONY CRT Trinitron TVs this past weekend. One sold to a friendly guy who was planning a retro game night in celebration of his 40th birthday. Mentioned he was going to play Time Crisis using the light gun. Sold it to him for $40. Serendipitously on my way home from the sale I found another SONY CRT Trinitron TV in the same alleyway. Listed that for the same asking price of $40. Sold it to another retro gamer who couldnt give me the money fast enough. Funny considering the TV was still in my car whwn he was handing me the cash :lol:.

Ego

Post by Ego »

@davtheram12, I have to admit, I would have never guessed that those old TVs have any value. Nice!

Among the bags of clothing from the weekend Mrs. Ego found a small gold gift box. She keeps a selection of trash-picked gift boxes, gift bags, wrapping paper, bows and other clutter (my opinion) in one of the fire sprinkler riser closets. I saw the gold box on her desk this morning and asked about it, thinking maybe one of the tenants had given her a gift. She picked it up, opened it to show me the gold speckled tissue paper and launched into a detailed explanation of how it would be perfect for ....... (I stopped listening) ..... then she screamed, "¡DIOS MIO!"

"What?!"

She assumed it was empty and had not looked beneath the tissue paper. Once open she found a brand new, still sealed in the original package Visa gift card with a $25 balance.

I wanted to add it to my crypto kitty along with the other something-from-nothing funds but she has other plans.

Also, when I came back from my run there was a six pack of some longneck cider stuff. I took it to the basement fridge for future use. I expect the Friday Night Races at the Velodrome will begin again soon. It is bad form to arrive empty handed, even if you don't drink.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

@ego bahaha that "dios mio!" had me chuckling. My mother, aunts and grandmothers all had the same reaction whenever they were surprised. I was surpised myself since i regularly see those CRT TVs thrown out all the time. Theres been a huge resurgence in retro video gaming lately. My assumption is a lot of people (typically ages 15-45) are hoping to experience a particular era of gaming. From what I've read some video games were specifically designed to offer the best gameplay experience with a CRT TV. It seems Sony TVs, sizes 13-29in, are the best when it comes to portabilty and quality.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

When I was in college I tried to collect enough cans while walking across the dorm parking lot to the 7-11 to buy myself a Sunday paper. More than once I found unopened packages of beer.

I have also found random gift cards too.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Nuclear Football #1 complete. I bought a broken pilots flight case yesterday for $3. It had the pieces I needed. #2 will have the metal wheels.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Sold a few more items recently. Sold a Sun Mountain C130 golf bag, to what seemed like a reseller, for $45. Found that on my way home from work driving through an alleyway. That bag was in very good shape so I'm sure he would likely make a decent profit. Sold a like-new long reach stapler, for $5, to a very sweet women. She was excited since it would going to elevate her crafting hobby. I found that one day walking back home from the thrift store. It was in a box stuffed full of craft items, labeled free. I still don't know why I only grabbed the stapler :lol:
Lastly, I sold 23 new packets of GULP saltwater scented bait, for $30, to an avid outdoorsman. I found those a few weeks ago in front of someone's yard. The homeowner was unloading his garage and said I can have my pick at anything I wanted. Yes and thank you!

C40

Post by C40 »

Ego, the retired international spy

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Cue James Bond music

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I preserved some time and energy by NOT picking up a trailer from the curb this week. It was a Schwinn that was missing both a wheel and the bar to pull it but otherwise seemed nice enough. I tried to sell a Burley that was missing pieces last year and eventually had to put it back on the curb for the next person. I've learned my lesson about picking up trailers that are missing parts.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Walked to my car yesterday morning and I found an accordion! It's in rough shape but it still works. One key is partially missing but everything else is there and working. It's a vintage Bomar Italian accordion 41/120 in white. It's yellowed with age but it's a beauty! Im honestly blown away. It's not often I say things aloud when I find discarded items but this one left me surprised. Yelled out "what the F@#$?" as I began to inspect it.
Later that night I pulled it out to play and boy was it fun! First time ever holding an accordion so needless to say I didn't sound good playing it :lol: I just don't know what to do with it. Im sure someone would be willing to buy it but it's a neat toy. Hmm decisions, decisions.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

davtheram12 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:20 am
I just don't know what to do with it.
learn this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2UweAt ... asBorsatti

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

@ ertyu

Great movie and great song! I may be able to pull it off through mimicking but it would be an extremely sharp learning curve. :lol:

Ego

Post by Ego »

I was trying to figure out how to make an exterior leather pocket for the nuclear football using some of the leather I bought for the chair project and stumbled upon this great video of a woman who made an old Rimowa case into her version of a $1100 Rimowa carry on bag.

https://youtu.be/mou13GpMxIw

Her shop is incredible. Made me consider creating a youtube hack channel so I can write off cool tools.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Went to a local thrift store today, attached to a church, at my DWs hometown. Went straight to the video games section and ended up finding 5 sealed and new Xbox 360/PS3 video games. Found the following:
NCAA 14 (XBOX 360)
NCAA 14 (PS3)
NCAA 12 (PS3)
MADDEN 13 (XBOX 360)
MADDEN 25 (XBOX 360)

Paid $2 a piece for them and I will likely get ~$400 once I resell them. If I decide to grade the NCAA games I could get more but that may be a little too much hassle for me. Seemed like someone bought those games new, stored them for years, and eventually donated them because they were 'old' :lol:

Ego

Post by Ego »

Wow! I think you were conservative with your $400 estimate. I just ran the first two through ebay's terapeak which shows sales for the past year and got the following results.....

NCAA 14 (XBOX 360) - 74 Sold - Average Price $232.75 (one sold for $1000)
NCAA 14 (PS3) - 68 sold - Average Price $191.76

I have a friend who asks every seller if they have any video games. Now I know why.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Ego wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:04 pm
Wow! I think you were conservative with your $400 estimate.
NCAA 14 (XBOX 360) - 74 Sold - Average Price $232.75 (one sold for $1000)
NCAA 14 (PS3) - 68 sold - Average Price $191.76
:shock: oh geeze! I'd say so. I just saw a sold listing on OfferUp for NCAA14 (XBOX360) that was graded and sold for $715. I still can't believe it sometimes :|

Ego

Post by Ego »

On our last few trips we traveled with a PacSafe Travelsafe which is a bag with wire mesh inside and a short cable, allowing it to be locked to a fixed item in the room or on an overnight train. They are great but not large enough for a computer.

The Zero Halliburton is lockable and much bigger so I've been thinking about a solution.

Last week a tenant threw out a laptop that had been submerged. I opened it up and removed the security slot.

Cleaned it up with the grinder

I had some money left over in my Mercari account from some clothing I sold that had been left by a tenant. I used it to by a Kensington laptop lock which I installed on the Zero Halliburton using the security slot from the computer along with a washer as backing.

Certainly not bombproof but pretty good security for hostels and Airbnbs.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

On May 1st my DW and I were having a nice breakfast. I decided to go downstairs to throw out the trash and get some fresh air. As soon as i got to the dumpster in the alleyway I was met with a slew of stuff. It looked like the complete contents of someones apartment. As I started looking closer I noticed obvious signs of someone leaving in a hurry. I even found a french press filled with hot coffee.

Suddenly the apartment dwellers came out with more items. After asking them "are you guys throwing out everything" they proceeded handing me any goods I wanted. I got a huge haul of new speciality beer, wine and hard liquor, kitty litter, kitchen tools, and electronics. Spoke to them and found out were abruptly leaving the LA area for Portland, OR. Things have been changing in my area and it seems like many of my neighbors have been affected. Sad state of affairs but I'm happy with the stuff. I should be able to make some good money selling many of the goods :mrgreen: