does anybody here use a cargo bike?

What skills to learn, what tools to get
Alphaville

Re: does anybody here use a cargo bike?

Post by Alphaville »

macg wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:08 pm
Aren't there different types of e-bikes though? Ones that are more moped-like, with a throttle, and ones that are pedal-assist only, no throttle? I've never used any, to be fair, this is just what I've understood from reading different articles...
yeah, like copenhagen wheel has no throttle runs off bluetooth etc. but the pedal acts as the regulator. the motor is a force multiplier. think scifi exoskeleton.

and price, weight, and tech wise... it's a motor vehicle. needs plugging. without the power, they're heavy unwieldy beasts.

i did consider them for a long while, but decided against getting one. ultimately on minimalist grounds.

an electric cargo bike like @gdp originally mentioned here:
Gilberto de Piento wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:21 am
Cargo bikes, particularly electric ones, are all the rage right now in urban/suburban, middle/upper-middle class yuppie family circles for kid hauling purposes. They also seem to double as mild status symbols, great for Instagram.
costs the same as a used car, which for me (among other things) beats the purpose of having no car.

behold:

https://www.rei.com/product/187355/tern ... ctric-bike
$6199 plus tax!!!

i see that and im like... i'll just get a beautiful vespa :D

(but not today. today i pedal and grunt.)

eta: i also considered kludging my own ebike with a battery and motor, for lower cost, but it's just one thing after another, often with trash components, so i'll just pedal and grunt as long as i can. my current steel bike is 23y.o., not sure how long batteries will last by comparison.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Alphaville wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:34 am
wondering if i could build something similar to the burley with similar folding/lightweight qualities. aesthetics are not important for this particular build.

i need something that can carry sacks of food, cuts of lumber, bags of dirt, that sort of thing, which cannot be loaded on the bicycle proper. this bicycle marketer (not really a manufacturer) originally sold an attachment for "surfboards" (lmao) that i think could be used for planks of wood.
You may have noticed I picked up a DIY trailer along with my new bike recently. It's got nice design as it folds up flat and the wheels easily come off for storage. It has a small lip. The guy who built it said he used to carry large bags of compost, but he would occasionally use a larger tupperware container or boxes with bungee cords.

viewtopic.php?p=239860#p239860

It might be easier/cheaper to score a used trailer for free or at a very low cost. I only live a block away from the grocery store and don't really buy much that needs to be hauled, but I figured it could come in handy if our lifestyle changes in the future.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Western Red Cedar wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:43 am
You may have noticed I picked up a DIY trailer along with my new bike recently. It's got nice design as it folds up flat and the wheels easily come off for storage. It has a small lip. The guy who built it said he used to carry large bags of compost, but he would occasionally use a larger tupperware container or boxes with bungee cords.

viewtopic.php?p=239860#p239860

It might be easier/cheaper to score a used trailer for free or at a very low cost. I only live a block away from the grocery store and don't really buy much that needs to be hauled, but I figured it could come in handy if our lifestyle changes in the future.
yeah, i saw, commented on your thread! is it heavy? did he build from scratch? was it kludged from preexisting?

i do groceries on foot too, to build hiking strength. a couple of miles with a backpack is not bad.

but i want a trailer for heavy duty stuff, like those hay bales.... like the burley flatbed or @7w5's tree carrier or the trailer you got.

but i also would like the thing itself to be fairly lightweight... my wife would like to use it sometimes and she's not a weightlifter.

i've been trawling craigslist recently but no luck yet... i'm sure something will come up eventually. still scratching my head trying to figure out what works.