Something From Nothing Log

What skills to learn, what tools to get
SavingWithBabies

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by SavingWithBabies »

@C40 Sorry for jumping on you about Christmas trees. I was stuck in my lizard brain for a while with too much work. I agree logically it's stupid, environmentally it's stupid, etc. What I was trying to explain was the sense of wonder that kids have that is really awesome and encouraging that is great. But there are other ways to do that. Just like there are other ways to keep a tradition going as @bigato points out. I put myself on a forum ban for a week to recuperate :).

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Ego wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:07 pm
She told me that last Christmas her sister-in-law who is not one to dumpster dive admitted that those were the best Christmases ever.
What a great story! I find these instances to be the most interesting aspect about dumpster diving. I've been doing this since I was about 8 years old and it's only been recently that people, who typically wouldn't dumpster dive, appreciate the act. I guess it helps when they get something out of it like a nice freebie :lol:

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

@Ego

Same reason the Fed doesnt want deflation. Once you start selling below a certain price that becomes the new price "floor". Consumers will hold out for deals. Its better to call a few percent a complete loss than drag down the entire inventory.

Car dealerships have been at this model for 20+ years now. MRSP has never gone down. Rather its "deals" and "sales events" to adjust to market demands.

Ego

Post by Ego »

This evening I sold a sleeping bag to a guy heading to Denali, a rope-bag-crash-pad=backpack to a rock climber girl headed to Joshua Tree and a pair of crampons for $50 to a guy who climbs in the Sierras regularly. I paid $22 for everything.

Image Image Image

I predict camping away from it all will be the activity of this Covid summer.

C40

Post by C40 »

SavingWithBabies wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:45 am
@C40 Sorry for jumping on you about Christmas trees..
It's ok. I didn't think that you were jumping on me, just that you were being a bit defensive and maybe not getting my point.

Ego

Post by Ego »

A tenant moved out and told me she no longer wanted the bike she left locked to the bike rack in the back of the property. I cut the u-lock with a grinder and listed it on craigslist on Tuesday. Sold today for $25 to a guy who repairs and resells second-hand bikes on craigslist.