Best method to sharpen a knife?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Sclass

Re: Best method to sharpen a knife?

Post by Sclass »

I was really interested in trying the ceramic knife at Harbor Freight. It was sold right next to the stones. Very inexpensive. Additionally it holds an edge a long time according to reviews. The ones on eBay are even cheaper. Some of them look like tactical folding knives intentionally marketed to people who want to slip through metal detectors.

I have held off because I’m worried I’ll chip the blade. My wife is hard on tools and I’m sure she’ll chip the blade by tossing it in the sink. My big fear is I’ll injest a chip. I accidentally ate a shard of glass as a kid and ended up in the hospital a week...hard to forget.

The ceramics do look intriguing. I’m very tempted to pick one up but we are going to have some serious safety training for its use.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

There are some ugly stories about people who ate bristles from grill brushes.

Consider the risk/reward.

Redbird

Post by Redbird »

I posted this in a different thread. I like this method:

How to Sharpen a Knife | Paul Sellers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bailuQUh2mY

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

Redbird wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:24 pm
I posted this in a different thread. I like this method:

How to Sharpen a Knife | Paul Sellers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bailuQUh2mY
Great video - thanks for linking it. This method makes it easier to hold a consistent angle when sharpening as well as being able to quickly tune up an edge after a cutting session.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

The diamond stones from harbor freight will work using this technique. I like the use of the fine sandpaper for polishing. No sense wasting money on a 1200 stone. I have a lot of 1200 wet dry paper lying around. I think I’ll make one of those sticks.

The scary thing is how close he gets to his index finger. This technique requires 100% attention or you’re eventually going to slip up and have an accident. It’s like cutting up veggies. There’s a way to do it where you rarely get cut then there’s the way to do it where you never get cut.