Something From Nothing Log

What skills to learn, what tools to get
Ego

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by Ego » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Jacob, I will be unable to look at the piles of dirty old jeans in the same way.

The foreign exchange student left this on top of the trash before moving out. It is a fingernail polish dryer.

I finally got around to listing it yesterday. This morning I noticed that a text had come in just after 4am asking about it. The woman said she needed it immediately. I just responded and she was here in ten minutes. $25

We were unable to sell at the swap meet last week so Mrs. Ego's scooter fund is still empty.
Last edited by Ego on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:20 pm

I know, right? I'm hanging onto my old clothes in case the affluent cowboy fashionista community ever develops an interest in vintage urban blogger wear. "On the left leg you see the stain from spilled coffee that came standing up after responding to a particularly enervating post. Also notice the authentic wear patterns below the khaki pant back pockets which comes from spending all day in a particularly slouchy position. The difference between the lack of cuff wear on the left vs the right sleeve demonstrates that this garment was worn by a real knowledge worker spending all day moving a mouse around."

Astra

Post by Astra » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:08 am

@Ego: I'm wondering how one could possibly "immediately need" an fingernail polish dryer :D

This whole thread reminds me of a buisness in Midwestern America that would seek out abandoned villages and towns, drive their truck out to overgrown graveyards to collect antique stone angels, birdbaths and mausoleum columns. The more weathered and crusry with lichen the better. Then they would sell those to fancy garden boutique shops for yuppies to buy them, to add some vintage decor to their squeaky clean suburban gardens with roll-out lawns. I have no idea where I read about that.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:41 am

Interesting. Old cemeteries are also a good place to nip rose cuttings. My permaculture partner is a shameless taker of cuttings from other people's plants. Every fall he drives around and curb scores end-of-season big-box garden store leavings. Sometimes even abandoned fast food restaurants or strip malls might have interesting perennial plantings left in place that might not suffer from division.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Coffee grounds as air freshener? I accidentally spilled some and wiped it up with a towel, the towel is in the bathroom with the rest of the laundry, I walked in and was thinking wow it smells great in here!

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:43 pm

Found a music stand in a pile of junk, sold it for $20 on craigslist. :D

Girlfriend found out about the deal, said "since it is free money now you can take me out to dinner." :?

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:39 am

This whole thread reminds me of a buisness in Midwestern America that would seek out abandoned villages and towns, drive their truck out to overgrown graveyards to collect antique stone angels, birdbaths and mausoleum columns. The more weathered and crusry with lichen the better. Then they would sell those to fancy garden boutique shops for yuppies to buy them, to add some vintage decor to their squeaky clean suburban gardens with roll-out lawns. I have no idea where I read about that.
What I remember is a 60 Minutes or similar show about people doing this and arrests being made. Very illegal most everywhere in the US.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:11 pm

I found an old bike on the curb with some minor issues. I put about an hour of work and some used parts I already had into it and sold it for $50. :mrgreen: