Oslo (Norway) meetup?

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
liberty

Oslo (Norway) meetup?

Post by liberty »

Who would like to join a meetup in Oslo?

Jean

Re: Oslo (Norway) meetup?

Post by Jean »

I'll join if it falls within a two free weeks windows for me.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Cool - who else wanna join?

wood

Post by wood »

I'm coming to Oslo during the marathon weekend (Sept 16th) and would love to join.

Jean

Post by Jean »

This time wouldn't work for me.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Okay, other dates you can join, wood? :)

wood

Post by wood »

Suitable dates for me:
- Weekend 16th Sept
- Any one weekend in October or November
- Any day between 22nd and 28th December

liberty

Post by liberty »

Cheers! When you can join in October, Jean? :)

liberty

Post by liberty »

Bumping this. Who's up for a meetup in April or May? Would be nice to meet some other FIRE-people!

benrickert

Post by benrickert »

@liberty I’d like to meet like minded people in Oslo! Where in Oslo do you live?

liberty

Post by liberty »

Hi @benrickert, in the south, but this flat sucks. NOK 6500 everything included was a bit too cheap, even for me. Now looking for a super fun job, that's the only thing that can stop me from retiring this summer :D

benrickert

Post by benrickert »

@liberty nok 6,500 - yes that is cheap living in Oslo. But must allow you to save lots.

Sounds like a great situation to be in though - looking for a job without needing one. Make sure it will be one you appreciate then.

Others on the forum you’ve located in Oslo?

liberty

Post by liberty »

Actually I haven't met others in Oslo from this forum, but talked to a few other FIRE people. Cool that there are other EREers in the city. Do you plan to retire in Oslo?

benrickert

Post by benrickert »

Ok.
Not sure about where to retire yet. Thinking that a small house on a larger plot of land on the outskirts of suburbs not too far from public transport would be a good place. But remaining open until I get closer to savings goal. Now I’m first and foremost working on practicing renessaince skills, bringing down living costs, increasing salary. Main mistake so far has been to lock in a 4% interest rate on mortgage and not be able to pay it down w/o paying a large premium.

Been cautious on saving in stocks for a long while due to high pricing so haven’t gotten much of a return there either. But seems like savings rate is most important in the beginnings so not too much of a worry.

Seems like you are heading abroad for life post salaryman?

liberty

Post by liberty »

4% on mortgage is high. Would you need to sell the house in order to get rid of it?

Yeah, in the winter. Will still stay in Norway in the summer, I think, but in cheaper locations. With my current assets, I will need to spend max 7-8000 NOK per month, which should work fine. I have already tested living abroad for less than that amount, and that works well.

benrickert

Post by benrickert »

I would need to pay the applicable premium for paying it back regardless - the difference between the 4% and the current rate until the end of the lock-in period. So makes more sense to put savings to use in other ways. Eg the stock market.

That is an impressingly low number! Have you written about how that is split on different spending items? Eg food, housing etc?

liberty

Post by liberty »

I spend 60-70% on housing. I rarely use public transport. My hobbies (disc golf, programming, running, hiking, biking, sex) are free or cheap.

benrickert

Post by benrickert »

Yep. Housing is likely to be the major part if spending isn’t higher. How did you hack food? What do you normally eat?

liberty

Post by liberty »

Not really much of hacking on food. I used to eat pre-made dishes, but started cooking 3-4 years ago. Vegetable soup (it's less than NOK 10 per day!), fish burgers, tacos, fried rice with chicken, fish. When I move to the farmland I will get more self sufficient and cut the food costs even more.

benrickert

Post by benrickert »

Your diet sounds normal. No dumpster diving or canned food diet? 😊
I cook all food using mostly unprocessed food. But not very restrictive so could probably reduce food costs if I really wanted. I rather focus on reducing housing, transportation and unnecessary things though.