IQ Test

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: IQ Test

Post by jacob »

Right. 15 is the modern standard for the standard deviation and I adjust my [expressed] test scores to that. It's annoying that adjusting an IQ score always requires some detective work to figure out what its sd is, but it's either 15 (modern), 16 (Binet), or 24 ("classic").

They could do away with all this ambiguity by just expressing the score as a percentile.

Infamous

Post by Infamous »

132 and I had a few drinks

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Infamous wrote:132 and I had a few drinks
I scored 70 and was sober.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Papers of Indenture wrote:I'd imagine the substantial majority of people here would fall into the 120+ category on a professionally administered IQ test.
I doubt it. 115 would seem more reasonable. I would get more than 120 but that's because I have had access to the answer manual :D

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

:lol: I guessed on 20% and got 130. Gee, that felt good know why?

I scored 98 as a kid in a public school screening. I recall spending most of my time trying to figure out how I'd slip the pencil past the proctor without returning it. Mom was really mad because my siblings tested at the top of the scale.

They look unbelievably stupid now after a fifty year real time experiment. The funny part is when they compare our relative success they bring up my old IQ result in bewilderment. I just let them try to explain the puzzle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

As an ex-Mensa member (did not pay to renew membership after 1st yr, but can be reinstated anytime by parting with $), IQ tests and academic, puzzle solving intelligence is overrated in terms of impact on most people's life.

Unless one is going to be John Nash or Einstein, high IQ is not needed for a successful life. And even then they were pretty miserable socially. Meeting some Mensa folks further confirmed this.
Just don't be stupid - that's good enough.

In ERE too, once beyond basic SWR, immunity against SHTF comes from how many people are willing to say take you in versus the size of your prepper stash.

With 7.2 billion humans, applied intelligence is more about meaningful connections between humans than between our own neurons.

Currently staying on 100 acres of off-grid solar property with its own water supply, root cellar, food storage, ammo and guns - great in peace time. In a SHTF scenario, this place would be so run over.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Go through the test CMonkey posted again, and punch in random guesses. Try it a few times.
I wager you'll always come out above average and that you'll see that quick advert for growing your already 'above average' potential.

Lake Wobegon IQ testing...

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Eh, scored 104 on one posted in first post :oops:, bit ashamed to be average in such group. Explains a lot :lol:. Guessed on 10, took paper notes during doing this on PC, I was also a bit distracted (toilet, sending SMS).

BTW, does in real test can you take notes or cross off answers you don't like? I've once done proxy IQ test and it was live version type (no possibilty to fiddle with pen and paper, no possibility to go back etc.)

Taking a look on this famous occupation list by IQ.

Walwen

Post by Walwen »

I always feel like these IQ tests are too math-heavy. Perhaps it's a personal bias, but when I think of intelligent people, I think of people who are able to understand communication and communicate well in return. That they understand and are understandable. That and reasoning skills. Not really mental math or finding patterns.
However I know a large issue with non-math-y IQ tests are cultural differences. Someone might bomb a comprehension test, not because they're stupid, but because it's about something they have no concept of.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Now the Queendom Classical IQ test!

https://www.queendom.com/tests/access_p ... gTest=3108

I think I got 145 on it a few years ago. I liked that it was free, and sub-divided different parts of intelligence.

--------

High IQ is good, but I think ability to tolerate high-stress and high-IQ tasks for tens of hours for years is a better indicator for success. That and not blowing all your money...

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

TopHatFox wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:54 pm
good, but I think ability to tolerate high-stress and high-IQ tasks for tens of hours for years is a better indicator for success. That and not blowing all your money...
I believe that energy levels are also extremely important. Who cares if your as sharp as the other guy, if he can keep going 2-3 times longer than you. I've seen that - some people really are beasts.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Take the Queendom ;D

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

An article about why high IQ can make one less happy.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

guitarplayer wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:32 am
An article about why high IQ can make one less happy.
Also see https://www.quora.com/What-do-people-wi ... srid=hVuud and https://earlyretirementextreme.com/demo ... y-gap.html

ETA: I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the MHC (see https://learning-theories.com/model-hie ... exity.html --- it's discussed extensively in Hanzi Freinacht's Nordic books). While IQ tends to correlate with where people end up on the MHC, it is not a given that high IQ => high MHC. Conversely, high MHC => high IQ. Methinks that the Hollingworth gap discussed above is not a gap in IQ as much as a gap in MHC. For example, if two people are both at MHC9.5, it doesn't matter for their ability to communicate and form perspectives that one thinks 50-100% faster than the other. Conversely, if one is MHC9 and the other is MHC12, the MHC9 guy will be unable to comprehend or simply misunderstand much of what the MHC12 person is trying to communicate because the MHC9 is simply blind to the added dimensions of complexity---they're not seen as such. Conversely, the MHC12 guy will find the interests of the MHC9 guy rather uninspiring. I believe this is closer to the problem Viljanen is describing in the quora link.
Viljanen wrote: Of course I can do small talk. Of course I can do customer service. Of course I can talk with people on the left half-plane of the Gaussian curve. Of course I can communicate with them and use language they understand. But that is not the point. The point is meaningful interaction. Those things are meaningless interaction. Or how many of you readers really take small talk seriously?

white belt

Post by white belt »

TopHatFox wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:54 pm
Now the Queendom Classical IQ test!

https://www.queendom.com/tests/access_p ... gTest=3108
I just took that one and scored a 127. It seems a bit high to me compared to another IQ test I took a few years ago as part of a psychological evaluation. I think I scored somewhere in the 115-120 range for that one.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

That Quora text is quite brutal! My takeaway is the links.

Ego

Post by Ego »

jacob wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:18 am
Conversely, if one is MHC9 and the other is MHC12, the MHC9 guy will be unable to comprehend or simply misunderstand much of what the MHC12 person is trying to communicate because the MHC9 is simply blind to the added dimensions of complexity---they're not seen as such. Conversely, the MHC12 guy will find the interests of the MHC9 guy rather uninspiring. I believe this is closer to the problem Viljanen is describing in the quora link.

Viljanen also said:
Things could be tolerable, but when the communication range gap is large enough, the reaction of the less endowed is usually hostile. They perceive the more intelligent as threat and act accordingly.

To put it bluntly: it is not the dumbest who get bullied in the school. It is always the brightest who get bullied.
and
It is a public secret almost all top intelligent people are extremely lonely. And it is not about lacking in EQ, social skills or social graces, but the thrice goddamned communications range. It is also this reason why I am a heavy drinker. When plastered, I become dumber and my communication range moves toward left. Things normies like suddenly begin to make sense. I find it far more easier to socialize with normies drunk than sober.
I am no genius so grain of salt here, but it strikes me that bullies are cowards who go for low risk targets. Wouldn't a genius realize this and align with others to make themselves higher risk? The process of aligning with others may involve learning how to talk about professional wrestling. The genius may resent having to engage in nonmeaningful interactions about professional wrestling in same way that the protectors may resent having to engage in nonmeaningful interactions to protect the genius from the bully. Aligning interests usually involves negotiating. Give and take.

If the genius cannot figure out a way to bridge the communication range gap to make friends and allies then maybe they are not a genius? If they are unable to span the gap and connect with others to assuage their own loneliness without drinking themselves into a stupor, then maybe the problem isn't really with intelligence at all? Maybe the methods of measuring genius fails to incorporate pragmatism in the measurement?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Ego wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:51 am
I am no genius so grain of salt here, but it strikes me that bullies are cowards who go for low risk targets. Wouldn't a genius realize this and align with others to make themselves higher risk? The process of aligning with others may involve learning how to talk about professional wrestling. The genius may resent having to engage in nonmeaningful interactions about professional wrestling in same way that the protectors may resent having to engage in nonmeaningful interactions to protect the genius from the bully. Aligning interests usually involves negotiating. Give and take.
Smart as they are that's still expecting a lot from a child who is just learning [for the first time] how mean some humans can be. Intelligence is not a magic bullet that provides instantaneous answers. As such, the precocious kid is going to learn the hard way that some people are mean bastards to those who are different from themselves. This is something that people who are normal don't have to deal with. They just fit right in. Naturally, this process, especially if unrecognized [by teachers or parents] can lead to some "returned resentment".
Ego wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:51 am
If the genius cannot figure out a way to bridge the communication range gap to make friends and allies, then maybe they are not a genius? If they are unable to span the gap and connect with others to assuage their own loneliness without drinking themselves into a stupor, then maybe the problem isn't really with intelligence at all? Maybe the methods of measuring genius fails to incorporate pragmatism in the measurement?
That is not really the problem though. Consider how one-sided and widespread the presumption that "if you're so smart, it's all on you to figure out [how to make the connection]". It basically puts the entire burden on the high-IQ person. There's never any demand for those of average intelligence to "smarten up" or put in some effort on their own to meet the intelligent person half-way. Indeed, such expectations tend to cause resentment.

It's not about the the inability to make some level of connection. It's possible to make a reciprocated emotional connection with a pet dog or a random human. It's possible to perform small talk, pay a bill, discuss professional matters, or talk with the doctor about the importance of walking 10000 steps per day. It's possible to pragmatically solve for whatever is deemed a successful lifetime achievement by society in short order.

The main issue for highly intelligent people is that they rarely have an intellectual connection with someone who just "gets it" without them having to "dumb it down", "explain all the references", or continuously supply "scaffolding" in order to communicate what they're interested in. The reason they're lonely is that most of their interactions with other humans reduce to that. As a consequence, while they can "see" others, they are rarely if ever "seen" by others. This asymmetry is the cause of the loneliness. They're thinking about quantum field theory or whatever, but all their dog will ever understand is "sit" and "fetch"; most humans being somewhere in between.

chenda

Post by chenda »

I believe the military won't take anyone with an IQ of less than 80. Which excludes about 20% of the population.

How could we increase the average IQ of the species ? And would this be a desirable goal ?