Post your MB Personality Type

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
User avatar
cmonkey
Posts: 1504
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:56 am

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by cmonkey » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:18 pm

@peanut,
I wouldn't say I 'regularly' engage with people online. Before discovering this forum last year I never associated with any online group and only occasionally posted in forums of differing topics. And no social media.....ever. As henrik stated, everyone has a need for human connection and I think that online discussions are more preferable for introverts simply because the entire conversation happens in your own mind. We are people too. There is something about this forum that just draws me in and I will never understand it.

I'm not sure how I became so introverted it probably is a miracle of some sort that I met the DW and that we get along so well.

enigmaT120
Posts: 929
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:14 pm
Location: Falls City, OR

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by enigmaT120 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:26 pm

I always come up with a schizoid personality type. I must be taking the wrong test.

7Wannabe5
Posts: 2838
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:03 am

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:33 pm

I was trying to figure out what type would best meet the description "smart for a jock" and I happened upon this http://thoughtcatalog.com/heidi-priebe/ ... lity-type/ Cracked me up with its accuracy. Since I am very light on the E in my ENTP, my high school identity was exactly a cross between the description for ENTP and INTP. IOW, I was the girl most likely to get anonymous obscene phone calls from fellow student in AP Chemistry but nobody ever thought that maybe I would like to be invited to play Dungeons and Dragons and I tried to drop out of school and just read my way through the library when I was 15 but I was busted and sent to alternative school for a term with all the burn-out thugs and I tried to seduce my favorite English teacher but I bought myself a Vic 20 with my babysitting money etc. etc.

Anyways, was also able to verify that my recent ex is an EXTJ. All makes sense now. I can not be with the Hall Monitor.

User avatar
GandK
Posts: 1923
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by GandK » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:08 pm

Your personality type: “The Advocate” (INFJ-T)
Strength of individual traits: Introverted: 100%, Intuitive: 83%, Feeling: 87%, Judging: 23%, Turbulent: 54%.
Role: Diplomat
Strategy: Constant Improvement

User avatar
GandK
Posts: 1923
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by GandK » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:15 pm

henrik wrote:@Peanut It is probably a long walk from "preference" to "destiny". I am also heavily introverted, doesn't mean I don't occasionally acknowledge the need for human connection and override that preference to get some.
Ditto. I got 100% introverted. That doesn't mean I don't like to connect with people... I love it, as long as its genuine. It means it wears me out to do it, and I need a lot of people breaks.

User avatar
fiby41
Posts: 711
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:09 am

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by fiby41 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:13 am

Above posted link explains why people get different personality types when they take a re-test
The primary method for testing reliability is to give the test to a person on two occasions. This procedure is known as “test-retest reliability." Typically, the test-retest interval can range from several weeks to more than a year. Because type is said to be a constant characteristic, we would expect that people's personality would not change over time. Several studies, however, show that even when the test-retest interval is short (e.g., 5 weeks), as many as 50 percent of the people will be classified into a different type.

The reliability data of the MBTI bring into question the stability of the test. How is it possible that there can be a change in personality, across a short interval, when such a change should not occur? The reliability data also bring into question whether there are meaningful differences across the preference categories.

jacob
Site Admin
Posts: 9064
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:38 pm
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73
Contact:

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by jacob » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:44 am

And this link also posted above explains why that psychologist has a rather simplistic understanding of the MBTI as well as why there are issues with retestability.

Psychologists are notorious for their factor analysis fetish which is why they like the Big5 instead. Now, it so happens that the five dimensions in the big 5 are approximate linear combinations of .... guess what ... the 4 dimensions in the MBTI --- which is why the psychologist see the "mixed vector" and proceed to complain(*) about correlations(**). In other words, they cover the same dimensional space. The issue psychologists seem to have is that the MBTI isn't statistically clean. However, mathematically speaking, that doesn't mean that it doesn't cover the space.

(*) A mixed vector necessarily have to have correlations with a subset of its components, so this is not a valid complaint.

(**) By the way, factor analysis has the same "problem", because it relies on an outside a priori definition of the factors. Not that I have a problem with a priori assumptions, but it does mean the Big5 isn't more pure or holy than the MBTI. To avoid these assumptions entirely, one has to use principal component analysis. However, with PCA there would be no way to name the dimensions beyond "1", "2", ... and then we wouldn't be able to write psych-papers ;-P

Consequentially this complaint smells a lot like a Not Invented Here-issue.

A tool is only as good as its user. If the MBTI is approached with a factor-analysis mindset and simply throwing data/test-results at the problem, it will predictably fail. Conversely, because Big5 is only a factor analysis model, it's impossible to make any explanatory statements, because a factor-analysis is ultimately just a descriptive analysis of one's a priori factors.

They both have their place and the disagreement is likely mainly because of a [mistaken] belief that they're supposed to serve the same purpose.

GreenBike
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by GreenBike » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:51 am

Beeing INTJ :D , recently discovered through this excellent blog, I vastly prefer having some Beers and watching the Avatar movie, or possibly the Lord of the Rings DVDs, then reading some about the latest discoveries in Cosmology, or possibly trying to understand the development of Religions or the principles of Evolution ....

I'm guessing that the US President candidates and similar people are MB testing very differently, wondering what type they belong to ? Or what about Madonna, Miley Cyrus or Mick Jagger ? Guessing not INTJs !

JasonR
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:00 am

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by JasonR » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:58 am

I got INTJ 9 times out of 10 on the original test (ISTJ one time) and like many others on this new one I got something different (ISTJ - though the S is weak). Also a T because I'm so unstable.

If you leave all the answers neutral you become an ESTJ - A (many presidents were this type)
If you agree 100% with everything you get ENTJ - T
If you disagree 100% with everything you get ESFJ - A
If you answer 100% yes with the odd questions and 100% no with the even questions you also get ENTJ...but an A for effort
If you do the opposite (yes for even and no for odd) you get ESFJ but a this time a T

This makes me confused. You can change 50% of your answers and are still the same person...?

How does the robot handle the mutually exclusive questions that I lied about?
I like being alone (100% no) and I like being with people (100% no).
Should it's head not have exploded?

I think the MUD / gamer personality type is the best so far. Killer/Explorer

Spartan_Warrior
Posts: 1680
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:24 am

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by Spartan_Warrior » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:02 pm

JasonR wrote: How does the robot handle the mutually exclusive questions that I lied about?
I like being alone (100% no) and I like being with people (100% no).
Should it's head not have exploded?
That's not inconsistent, really. The robot probably just assumes you're one really unhappy meatbag. ;)

jacob
Site Admin
Posts: 9064
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:38 pm
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73
Contact:

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by jacob » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:48 pm

JasonR wrote:This makes me confused. You can change 50% of your answers and are still the same person...?
The simplest explanation is that each answer sends you along some vector into 4D space and ultimately it adds the all up to figure out where in MBTI space you live. Then based on previous answers from a calibration population and knowing their MBTI types from elsewhere, it matches you to that population. If it's a clever robot, it uses something more snazzy than mere linear algebra. Don't assume that each question directly tests just one particular dimension.

Bonus question: What does this say about the EJs in the calibration population? ;-)
JasonR wrote:IHow does the robot handle the mutually exclusive questions that I lied about?
Enhanced interrogation, obviously 8-)

1taskaday
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:45 am
Location: England

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by 1taskaday » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:36 pm

7wannabe5 so disappointed for you!

Who would not want to be with the hall monitor? ... all that power and scrutiny...

Write that book,would be so fun to read.

Peanut
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:18 pm

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by Peanut » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:02 pm

@cmonkey: Well, for a 99%! rating I would expect someone who never engages with people online, let alone frequently for a whole year, and someone who would definitely not (want to) be married. I don’t understand how online convo can be understood as taking place entirely in one’s own mind? It’s not like you’re creating the dialogue. More like an email penpal. Maybe you believe in miracles, but I generally don’t. Faulty diagnostics or definitions seem more likely to me.

jacob
Site Admin
Posts: 9064
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:38 pm
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73
Contact:

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by jacob » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:11 pm

@Peanut - As Dragline would say ... "You keep using that word/concept. I do not think it means what you think it means." Online convo provides a much cleaner as well as a delayed signal that allows an introvert to reflect on what is said. Compare this to a transcription of what's said in person (includes visuals) or over a phone (just voice). Such things contains an enormous amounts of noise ... uhhh ehhh.. ermm ... repeat ... shout ... uhhh.. repeat again ... irrelevant ... hahahaha .... irrelevant ... already stated ... repeat previous ... uhhh hahaha! That involves a LOT more noise an requires real time processing. Introverts tend to pay equal attention to the noise but because they go deeper than extroverts, they're wasting tremendous amounts of mental energy on extrovert communication style.---Or even introvert ad lib communications. Introverts tend to pay a lot more attention to quality than quantity and thus their buffer is overwhelmed and they stop processing in an IRL situation.---Or maybe more accurately, introverts require a higher S/N ratio because they don't posses the pre-filter that extroverts have allowing them to ignore all the noise.

Peanut
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:18 pm

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by Peanut » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:17 pm

GandK wrote:
henrik wrote:@Peanut It is probably a long walk from "preference" to "destiny". I am also heavily introverted, doesn't mean I don't occasionally acknowledge the need for human connection and override that preference to get some.
Ditto. I got 100% introverted. That doesn't mean I don't like to connect with people... I love it, as long as its genuine. It means it wears me out to do it, and I need a lot of people breaks.
Yes, that was my basic understanding too--that social interaction drains energy from the introvert. According to that definition my DH is an introvert, even though he becomes the center of any social gathering. But it always seemed weird to me because nobody would describe him as an introvert. Only 'funny,' 'knows how to have fun,' 'irreverent,' etc.

I confess I am biased because my MIL is a big Meyers-Briggs proponent just because she went to OSU in the 60s and learned it in her Psych 101 class. I, like someone else on the thread, thought it had since been largely discredited. If some remapping of it unrelentingly persists, well and good.

User avatar
GandK
Posts: 1923
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by GandK » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:47 pm

Peanut wrote: I confess I am biased because my MIL is a big Meyers-Briggs proponent just because she went to OSU in the 60s and learned it in her Psych 101 class. I, like someone else on the thread, thought it had since been largely discredited. If some remapping of it unrelentingly persists, well and good.
That whole paragraph sounds strange to me. First, what does your MIL use Myers-Briggs for? It's just a way of communicating about people's similarities and differences. It's useful to know someone is an ESFP when you meet him (assuming you know what that means), just like its useful to know he's from Idaho, and a Quaker, and a 75-year-old vegan who rides a bike everywhere. Each of those things changes the way you perceive his words when he speaks and hopefully helps you to understand his point of view a little better.

And second, M-B isn't really fact based, so I'm not sure how it can be either credited or discredited. In the case of this thread it's people indicating, in an unscientific online test, what they tend to prefer. Who's to argue with them? And the test spits out a handful of labels and a synopsis of how people with those labels tend to behave... which we more or less just indicated ourselves through the test. Who's to argue with that, either?

zarathustra
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:15 pm
Location: OR

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by zarathustra » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:55 pm

Your personality type: “The Architect” (INTJ-A)
Strength of individual traits: Introverted: 56%, Intuitive: 27%, Thinking: 37%, Judging: 52%, Assertive: 34%.
Role: Analyst
Strategy: Confident Individualism

according to this test i've become more introverted since the last time i tested; something i think i already knew. :)

can INTJ's be good partners together? i've been seeing and INTP and it's driving me bonkers.

User avatar
bigato
Posts: 1526
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by bigato » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:32 am

I heard from a psychologist, an P herself while I'm an J, that the P/J letters manifest themselves very differently

steveo73
Posts: 1125
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by steveo73 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:46 am

From that test I was an ENTREPRENEUR (ESTP-A). I think that's funny because I have no interest in starting a business. I do like to push things though.

7Wannabe5
Posts: 2838
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:03 am

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:05 am

1taskaday said: 7wannabe5 so disappointed for you!

Who would not want to be with the hall monitor? ... all that power and scrutiny...

Write that book,would be so fun to read.
Well, my lack of J manifested at age 15 is amusing to me but my lack of J manifested at age 49 is still too mortifying. I am (now )pretty good at not going into the donut store if I don't intend to eat a donut but I still haven't quite worked out what to do if the donut possesses motive force. Besides, bit of a cop-out since individuals who are very high-functioning are supposed to be able to get along with any other type. Somewhat in accordance with "All happy families are alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."
jacob said: ]Introverts tend to pay equal attention to the noise but because they go deeper than extroverts, they're wasting tremendous amounts of mental energy on extrovert communication style.
As an ENTP who has been in close relationship quite a few serious introverts (father, closest sister, ex-husband, son) one thing I have noticed is that that introverts who are also thinkers (father,son) do not mind my stream of babble but the introverts who are also feelers (ex-husband, sister) can very quickly become overwhelmed by it. My son is an INTX and he clearly recognized and assigned importance to pattern before he became fully verbal. Once threw a screaming tantrum for an hour before I figured out that he didn't like the fact that I had changed the orientation of the rug in the living room (the stoic exo-skeleton is not evident in infancy but pretty much fully formed by age 6 or so, although at that age it is often difficult to distinguish between a stoic philosophy and oppositional-defiant behavior when somebody informs you that they will not do what you have asked them to do even if you take away all their toys) He told me that he forms entire sentences in his mind before he speaks. I can't even imagine doing that-lol. Could explain why an introvert would have much less difficulty with written communication.

zarathustra
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:15 pm
Location: OR

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by zarathustra » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:06 am

bigato wrote:I heard from a psychologist, an P herself while I'm an J, that the P/J letters manifest themselves very differently
Yeah I think my sentence was misleading. I am seeing an INTP but was wondering if INTJs can be compatible/happy together.

User avatar
bigato
Posts: 1526
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by bigato » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:26 am

http://thoughtcatalog.com/april-lee/201 ... lity-type/

The person each personality type wants

7Wannabe5
Posts: 2838
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:03 am

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:29 am

I think it should be fairly apparent to any member of this forum that INTJs like and respect their own type very much but don't often catch fire as couple. Plenty of wood but not enough spark (high testosterone, low dopamine?)IOW, tend towards being locked dominants. Gotta climb on his lap and loosen his tie type. Speaking from pure theory here, of course....

Peanut
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:18 pm

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by Peanut » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:48 pm

GandK wrote: That whole paragraph sounds strange to me. First, what does your MIL use Myers-Briggs for? It's just a way of communicating about people's similarities and differences. It's useful to know someone is an ESFP when you meet him (assuming you know what that means), just like its useful to know he's from Idaho, and a Quaker, and a 75-year-old vegan who rides a bike everywhere. Each of those things changes the way you perceive his words when he speaks and hopefully helps you to understand his point of view a little better.

And second, M-B isn't really fact based, so I'm not sure how it can be either credited or discredited. In the case of this thread it's people indicating, in an unscientific online test, what they tend to prefer. Who's to argue with them? And the test spits out a handful of labels and a synopsis of how people with those labels tend to behave... which we more or less just indicated ourselves through the test. Who's to argue with that, either?
She uses it to label people (such as her son whom she doesn't actually understand very well) and that is what turns me off. As I indicated before, I have a hard time buying into the notion of essential types based on other things that I've read about human behavior. So to me the test imposes limits on heterogeneity.

The filters you describe with the 75 yr-old midwestern Quaker vegan cyclist are different from the MB designation as they are all facts about him. Though they could be equally limiting to my understanding of him if I largely interpret his words based on my own preconceptions about those facts. Not saying this was your point, as I agree more information is more useful, but just saying this is a general danger when dealing with someone. It's easy to make a dismissive shortcut--'oh I get you, it's because you're from x place that you are acting this way.'

jacob
Site Admin
Posts: 9064
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:38 pm
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73
Contact:

Re: Post your MB Personality Type

Post by jacob » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:13 pm

@Peanut - On the practical level, I've found MBTI really useful because my natural skill in reading/relating to most humans is close to zero---because I'm so different from 90--99% of other people. Indeed, when I was 20, I used to believe that all humans were rational and made their choices in a reasoned and logical manner. Consequentially, I figured that all disagreements or differences in choices would come down differences initial axiomatics (which of course everybody has, right?!) or faulty reasoning (because, of course, we most allow for people making the occasional logical error). IOW, I thought people operated in exactly the same way as I did.

Then I got rather deep in discussion with an ENFP (I later learned the type) who pointed out strange new ideas such as the fact that she often acted on emotions (a factor whose existence I acknowledge and feel but I usually completely disregard or subconsciously postrationalize instead of relying on as a primary means).

Then I discovered MBTI! ... Which kinda destroyed the statistics because my interpersonal understanding has been governed by that ever since ... meaning it could be that I would, eventually over the next 20 years have figured out that other people were really different from me, but who knows. It's my experience that most people regardless of age seem to suffer from the illusion that everybody else internally works like theydo themselves.

So maybe MBTI is more or mostly useful to the personality types who are rare because they can't correctly assume that most people they run into are more or less like them.

Alternatively, it's useful to people who don't have highly developed intuitions about other people.

In any case, I don't see a type as locking in a behavior. Rather I see humans as possessing various heuristic models for understanding the world. For example, an INTJ first and foremost rely on introverted intuition and then use extroverted thinking to elaborate on their model (latticework) understanding of the world. This explains all my "here's yet another way to think about the world"-blog posts. INTJs also have a tertiary introverted feeling which explains why they secretly care about the world. Also why they attract INFP groupies and have a weak spot for authenticity. And the inferior model is extraverted sensation which explains alcohol, extreme sports, etc.

There are other models as well but they are even more poorly developed in most INTJs.

it is the very mature person who manage to develop all the different ways of seeing the world and who can instantly pick whichever optimal one for a given situation. Those are rare. Bohr's comments on understanding quantum mechanics come to mind here.

Personally, I have dimensions of INTJ, INTP, ISTJ, and INFP in more or less that order. But these just describe my internal model preferences. For an INTJ, I think my inferior function is more developed than my tertiary function which means that I'm more into exercise and beer than I am in terms of "discovering my true self".

In conclusion ... if you're supremely good at reading people, there's little use for MBTI. For the rest of us, it's a lot better than nothing/assuming that other people are just like we are.

Post Reply