Reep's Bike Adventure of Epicness (BAE) (has ended)

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
reepicheep

Re: Reep's Bike Adventure of Epicness (BAE)

Post by reepicheep »

@Jacob, aaaand fell over again. Yesterday. Hopefully that's sufficient physical pain to not do it again.

@Gilberto de Piento, several people warned me I'd fall at least once. So I was mentally prepared for it. Right wrist is kind of stiff though, even a few days later. I'm worried about it.

@GreenBike, well, it's not been cheaper so far, but the hope is that I can continue to travel this way in the future and the up-front investment will make future trips less expensive. Some pretty incredible photos you have there! The views of the Alps are just stunning.

@mxlr650, that's definitely something to think about. It is difficult for me to find the right size of clothing--much of what I own is men's xxs, because they don't even make women's sizes in a lot of this gear. I looked into full body suits when I was trying to get outfitted initially and didn't find much.

I didn't realize I should be leaning forward when I brake. That's made a big difference into my ability to slow down fast; thanks for pointing that out. Bike does not have a bell, but I'm buying one this afternoon off bookoo, along with a bike computer, for $5/total.

Hubs has been pretty great. It's been a nice change of pace.

@tommytebco, so when I fell again yesterday I actually unclipped because of an intersection. And then when I went to cross the intersection, I didn't want to clip in. But then I couldn't get any purchase on the pedals. And then I accidentally clipped in. And then I keeled over.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to handle the transitions. Especially going a little bit uphill, it's very tough. Do I just get off and walk the bike across the street?

When I fell yesterday I didn't stick a hand out, more out of surprise than any conscious thought not to. I'm uninjured today, except that the right wrist from when I planted it falling a few days ago is really worrying me. It's not in pain, but it feels tight. I appear to have full mobility but again, something feels off about it. Not good. What kills me is I *know* how to fall--did gymnastics for years and a smattering of different martial arts. Oy. Physical instincts letting me down, I see.

Onward!

Did about 40 km yesterday kind of on a whim--a coworker wanted me to babysit next week, but wanted me to come see the house and meet the kid first, so I biked out to where she lived. When I got there it had turned out that their plans had changed and they no longer needed a sitter, but they bought me dinner at a local pizza joint (I caved and ordered gluteny gluteny pizza, mmmm...didn't think it'd be polite to order the more expensive dishes, under the circumstances, and was way too hungry for just a soup and salad). And then I biked home. It was nice--I got to explore a different direction of bike paths from my village, and the ride home was at dusk, which is just a beautiful time of day here.

This later-day riding has made me rethink my clothing a bit. It was chilly! I actually ended up biking home in my fleece and jeans and sneakers (didn't want to deal with the road shoes again after I fell on the way out), and so I think it might be worth it to bring long spandex pants and shirt. I don't know if it's going to be substantially warmer 9ish days from now when I set out, and it's still 32ish degrees some mornings here. It's ok for me to bike in a t-shirt if I'm just going to or from the office and I'll be able to warm up in 20 minutes, but I think if I were biking all day I'd want to avoid freezing my ass off for an hour until it warms up. Most of the locals I see tend to wear long pants and sleeves on the bikes, even when it's warm enough for less clothes.

Pictures In An Album This Time

http://imgur.com/a/27lVA#0

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

reepicheep wrote: I didn't realize I should be leaning forward when I brake.
Uh oh, that's not a general rule! If you lean forward and brake on a high-speed downhill, you'll faceplant. Here you want to hang back over the saddle. Just think about how your braking is changed when you put bodyweight on one wheel or the other and it makes sense. Also in terms of turning, motorcyclists will tilt their body while keeping the bike upright (more or less). Cyclists will do the opposite. Tilt the bike but keep the body upright. Again, this makes sense. A motorcycle weighs more than the rider but the bicycle weighs less. You move the weight of the lighter part.
reepicheep wrote: I have no idea how I'm supposed to handle the transitions. Especially going a little bit uphill, it's very tough. Do I just get off and walk the bike across the street?
If I don't want to clip in, I pedal with my heel or midfoot ... far away from the cleat. With practice, you'll be able to click in immediately. Also downshift in advance before stopping. You could also put blocks on one side of your SPDs, such as this http://www.spoke-store.com/shimano-sm-pd20/
http://www.flowbikestore.com/shimano-sp ... reflectors

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

@Jacob, what do the blocks do? Not really getting it. Can I still clip in with them? Do they just make it easier to use the road bike pedals without clipping in?

My shoe bottom feels so slippery when I'm on the mid-foot, I tend to slide off. And look super awkward.

I'm kind of feeling like I don't know how to use a bike. It's like learning how to ride all over again.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I don't think clipping in is worth the hassle. I use BMX platform pedals with the little poky things that help keep my feet from slipping off.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

The blocks just turn one side of the SPD into a regular block pedal on which you can use regular shoes or cleated shoes if you don't want to clip in. (No clipping on that side.)

Here's the ghetto solution: http://www.instructables.com/id/SPD-to-flat-pedals/

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

Wouldn't the truly ghetto solution be to wear one road bike shoe and one sneaker? The pedals I have are actually workable with sneakers. Not ideal--I wouldn't want to ride to Amsterdam without the proper shoes--but I did ride 17 km with just the sneakers yesterday and it was fine.

The thought occurred to me today that I might do that on a hilly section, and forget about what anyone else thinks.

@EnigmaT120, I do like how I can really get going when I'm clipped in...but it does feel a little bit like being the lead ice-climber.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Here's something you can practice: in a place that is safe from cars and other dangers, mark two parallel lines on the ground with chalk about two or three feet apart (or just imagine two lines). Make the lines about 50 feet long or however much space you have. A grassy park is a good place for this in case you fall over.

Starting at one end, try to take as long as possible to ride to the other without crossing the lines or touching your feet to the ground. If you touch down the clock stops and you have to start over. If you make it to the other end the clock stops. The slower you ride the better.

Practice this with normal shoes and no bags on the bike. The idea is that it will teach you to be able to ride very slowly or come to a complete stop (trackstand) without falling over or touching down.

I didn't think this up, it is a standard fun competition at bike get togethers.
but it does feel a little bit like being the lead ice-climber.
If you can lead climb on ice you can do this!

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

I can't actually lead ice climb. I've never ice climbed in my life. I think the sensation of imminent falling and disaster might be similar, though.

Tested out my stove the other day. It worked just fine. I did manage to get gas absolutely everywhere until I figured out how to get it sealed tight, though. But it's pretty great; I can just fill up the little canister at any gas station for a euro or two; I may not even need to fill it up again during the trip, depending on how much I use it.

Bivvy sack came a couple days ago and I picked it up. I'm going to set it up tonight or tomorrow, probably, and try sleeping outside. I'm considering also bringing a tarp for the bike (I have one for my motorcycle that would be plenty large enough for the road bike and some gear). I think I might be able to rig up the tarp with some cordage or something and put it over the bivvy sack or partially over the bivvy sack. I'm most concerned about the bottom part because it doesn't have a hoop at the bottom and I think the material will partially rest on my legs, causing a potential moisture problem.

GreenBike

Post by GreenBike »

A bivvysack is very hardcore.... But not very comfortable or nice if the rain-Gods are evil for days... Have tried several different small tents, my favo now is a tarptent, american-style. http://www.tarptent.com/gallery.html Nice to sit up, read, make food, enjoy, have a few beers and relax, even if its a storm outside. Only 1 kg more, absolutely worth it.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

Hopefully leaving soon. I'm trying to wrap some things up at work and my bike is in the shop for it's new bike 250 km free onceover...except they didn't get to it today or yesterday. And they don't open until 1030 tomorrow.

So I'm getting on the road a little later than planned. But hopefully with a fully tuned bike.

I ended up buying a tarp after testing out my bivvy with a watering can. It was what I'll call "mostly" water-proof. At the end of the day I'm not sure I've saved much on weight, but if it's not raining and not going to rain I don't know that I'll bother with the tarp, and I think the bivvy will be a good defense against bugs, and very low-profile.

Tarp set up, tied up not very ideally to random stuff in the backyard. I am pretty sure I could get it tighter if I had actual trees to work with.

Inside of the bivvy.

Testing.

Water that runs off the top is fine, but pools at the bottom leak through a little bit. I don't want wet feet.

I have a small collection of food, spices, and tea to get me started. I'm leaving one of the camping pots behind to save weight. I'm not bringing any kind of Tupperware--I'll just eat out of the pot.

I've packed my saddlebags as much as they can be packed.

Turns out I have two free audiobook credits with audible. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to download something before I go.

I'm also looking for podcast suggestions, I'm pretty sure I'll get through what's left of Joshua Sheets in a couple of days.

I'm so excited you guys!

henrik

Post by henrik »

reepicheep wrote:I'm also looking for podcast suggestions, I'm pretty sure I'll get through what's left of Joshua Sheets in a couple of days.
Quite a few suggestions here.

Have a good trip!

Chad

Post by Chad »

What kind of books are you looking for? Fiction? Non-fiction? And, what subjects?

Ego

Post by Ego »

Here's a free book for you from Project Gutenberg. Around the World on a Bicycle.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13749

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

@Chad, leadership, history, international relations, economics, climate science, homesteading, science fiction, classic literature.

I'm looking to broaden my usual sci-fi/fantasy fare.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Ok, here are some I recommend.

International/economics:
Civilization: The West and the Rest - I don't always agree with his economic ideas, but this book captures a lot of valid ideas about why the West became dominant.

Coming Apart: The State of White America 1960-2010 - Lots of great stats and ideas on why there seems to be so much turmoil/fear/uncertainty in white American culture.

The Dispensable Nation: American Foreign Policy in Retreat - I don't always agree with this book, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

Confessions of an Economic Hitman - Great book about how economic policy is used as a weapon on the international stage.

The Post-American World - A good book about the rest of the world catching up to the US. Try to get the 2.0 version.

Fiction
A Clean Kill in Tokyo (also called Rain Fall) - Interesting novel about an assassin who kills by making it look like a natural death. Well written and believable.

The Expanse series of SF books by James Corey - I know you said you wanted to get away from your normal SF/fantasy, but I figured I would include one recommendation in that genre. The first one is Leviathan Wakes.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

I'm still alive.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Did you start yet or are we still testing tarps? No MREs, huh?

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I was always the freak who loved MREs. They are delish.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

I started yesterday. Slept in a house last night by random chance.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

Still alive.