Forum members swapping trash and treasure by flatrate mail

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Forum members swapping trash and treasure by flatrate mail

Post by jacob »

Over the past year, I've given and gotten stuff from several forum members. It's usually stuff that's been sitting unused. I enjoy getting rid of stuff I'm not using but I don't always get around to it because dealing with craigslist flakes or paying eBay fees+shipping for each and every single item sets up barriers both for getting and getting rid of stuff. E.g. if I want 5 different bits and pieces (E.g. ink cartridge, 1/4-20 machine screw, gauze bandage, radish seeds) their total cost may be $4.50 but the shipping is $15, so it's not happening. And if bought new I'd be buying many more than and I needed. And Salvation Army is not interested in my old webcam. And so on.

Long story short, my idea was that it's possible that many here are in a similar situation. We can take advantage of USPS flatrate boxes and exchange trash for treasure. (Shipping internationally is not worth the cost and hassle for me.)

Here's my list. Category 1 is stuff that has some value ($30+) I have that I'd exchange for approximately equal value. Category 2 is extras that I don't bother to count the value of. The wanted category is stuff I'm currently on the lookout for but if it's not on there, I might be interested anyway.

To join the fun either PM me with details or list your own categories.

Category 1)
Samsung Knack U310 flip-phone (I used this with pageplus: $40/year)
Sony ICF-SW7600G short-wave receiver
Snap-on metric sockets (long)
Proxxon mini drill press
Maxpedition octa versipack (black)
Elite rings II + ring strength training dvd (http://ringtraining.com/store/product11.html)
Autoinflating PFD, strobe, knife (sailing/yacht racing gear)
inline hockey skates (good ones), inquire for sizing

Category 2)
110v coffee cup heater (it’ll keep your cup warm)
First aid supplies (serious war-fighting or at least shop-bloody stuff, not band aids :-P )
Most bicycle parts (gear and brake cables, inner tubes, saddles, pedals, cable housing, bar wrap, cogs, freewheels, cassettes, bar plugs, …)
Saw blades (hack saw, circular saw)
Fountain pen set (C40 says it’s not worth anything, but if you always wanted a shiny fountain pen …)
Various woodworking books I have no use for anymore
bubble wrap & bubble wrap envelopes
Wine making equipment (to get you started on brewing)
zip ties
Apple isight webcam (2)
Sirius satellite radio stuff (don’t know if it works)
hunting/fishing magazines
fishing lures (mostly bass and walleye stuff)
accounting books (freshman, sophomore)
environmental science books (grad level)
random yarn
pens
xmas cards and xmas decorations
batteries (mostly AAA)
photosensitive night lights
pine wood shavings (excellent firestarter, crafty gift baskets, bulky!)
forks, knives, plates

Wanted category:
Windup or dynamo flash light.
CB radio mobile antenna (for car) + roosf rack mount
CB radio base antenna with ground plane (for house)
12V DC power supply 5A+ continuous (Astron, Alinco, …). Switching preferred over linear
malice clips or similar
tap and die set
heirloom seeds
WWII style (Winco?) military mess hall steel food tray
multitools
baitcasting reel and rod
slip bobbers
spinervals, runervals or similar (or other elite/competitive level workout DVDs) (ask first)
computer/desktop parts (antec case, psu, motherboard, an entire computer, … not laptop)
… if it’s featured on cooltools I might like it ;-)

jacob
Site Admin

Re: Forum members swapping trash and treasure by flatrate mail

Post by jacob »

Cat 2)
Motorola NVG510 modem (ATT UVerse)
Hal Roth sailing book, Sextant book

Cat W)
Hinges (interior cabinet, piano)
Random stickers (to replicate sshawnn's infamous sticker-toilet)
Hand-axe (e.g. estwing camp axe)
Business card holder

arrrrgon

Post by arrrrgon »

What kind of value are you looking for on the proxxon drill press. I have one of the original cr-48 Chromebooks. It's missing a couple of the rubber feet on the bottom. I used it for a few months, but I just love Windows too much so now it sits unused.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

It's the adjustable micromot and the drill press stand for that. I'd say $80-100 (about 75% of new, couldn't ebay a used price). I'm not interested in laptops though and hardware needs to be new enough to be useful for another 5+ years.

But overall, this will work better if you list what you have in cat 1, 2, and W, and then we can see if there's a match.

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

I have the following books and DVDs up for grabs. Willing to swap multiple for a single title if it's one I want.

Tons of Freud, just ask
Basic Kafka
A Nietzsche Reader
Raise high the roof beam carpenters by JD Salinger
How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie
Selected poems by WH Auden
Foundation series by Isaac Asimov
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Slapstick by Kurt Vonnegut
Breakfast of champions by KV
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
Fight Club by CP
Heart of darkness and other stories by Joseph Conrad
Clockwork orange by Anthony Burgess
Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, & Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
Olympic Weightlifting: a complete guide for athletes and coaches by Greg Everett (this one i can sell for a decent amount but given the fitness interest of ERE, I'll give you folks first crack)

DVDs
Lock stock and two smoking barrels
Dr. Strangelove
Clockwork Orange
Donnie Darko
Red Dwarf seasons I and II
Red Dragon
Futurama season 1
Mulholland Dr.
The Godfather

Wishlist books:
Survival+
Tao te Ching
Yoga Nidra
Anything by Roy Underhill
Permaculture by Mollison
Joy of Cooking 1975 ed.
Sapiens by Harari
Meditations (Hays translation) by Marcus Aurelius
Anything Epictetus or Seneca
Extra copy of ERE (to give as gift to my brother)
Collapse by Jared Diamond
Ecotechnic Future by John Michale Greer
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Kahneman
A Feast for Crows by GRRM
Audels carpenters and builders guide 1-4 (especially 1923 ed.)
Any really interesting cookbooks (meat-centric or ethnic)
Any really interesting books on woodworking or permaculture
Anything else you think might peak my interest based on things I've mentioned.

Not interested in receiving DVDs, just books. I've got a lot for sale on Amazon, but those titles just aren't worth the effort when they're selling used for $0.01 plus shipping. Again, I'm happy to trade multiple titles for a single one on my list since my goal is downsizing my library to the bare minimum.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

@DSKla, do you read e-books?

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

@reepicheep

Yes, but I very much prefer hard copies. In fact I have e-copies of a couple on my wishlist and am looking for hard ones. But if you have a way to exchange an ebook, I would entertain the offer.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

@jacob,

I have plenty of heirloom seeds you could have. I am interested in the pine wood shavings, they make great bedding for chickens. How big is the package, and what value?

For anyone else, I am currently in the market for 2 outdoor rated light fixtures for my chicken coop to replace a couple of flickering/decades old lights. If anyone has a couple, I have a ton of heirloom seed I'm will to trade. Please send a pic of them.
Last edited by cmonkey on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

PM'ed

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Cat 1)
HP48SX

Cat 2)
Omron Blood pressure stuff (cuff, stethoscope, ... non-electronic, old-school)
2-hole punch (works on A4, maybe more...Any Europeans in the US?)

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

I'll add a paperback copy of the US Army Guide to Rigging.

Brand new, friend didn't want it. Plenty of info on rope and chains, knots, slings, block and tackle systems, anchors and guy lines, moving heavy equipment, etc. I'd categorize it as beginner information. If you're experienced at rigging you'll likely find nothing new and probably a few things you disagree with, but it covers all the basics and could make a handy reference for someone wanting to learn. Plenty of illustrations, but no photos.

Pricetag says $6, so I'm just looking for a paperback exchange or something interesting but not too valuable, like a used locking carabiner or magnesium block and striker with a few fires left on it.

Also got A Collector's Guide to United States Combat Shotguns if for some inexplicable reason anyone has a need for it.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

Looking for:

Good camping knife. Must cut ALL the things. Preferably with some kind of sheath.

Available to trade:

I will take a picture of me and your knife in my teeth in all the cool places it's going to go. And send the picture to you. Also I will collect small rocks from those places, write where the rocks came from, and send you the rocks when I have returned from my epic journey/journeys of epicness. Or postcards, if you prefer postcards.

Also I will someday bike to your house, if you want, and return your knife to you.

I don't really have any personal goods worth trading otherwise, unless someone wants a totally epic poster of an At At destroying Manhattan.

Edit: After typing all that out I realized that I have a perfectly good, sharp camping knife buried in my equipment. With a sheath. And everything. And then I went and dug it out.

But if somebody wants to take me up on my offer above I'll still bike around Europe taking Survivorman-style pictures with your knife and collecting rocks. Shipping to me is the same as U.S. shipping rates.

llorona

Post by llorona »

Items available for trade:

1. Morakniv 1.9" wood carving knife (lightly used): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GA ... UTF8&psc=1
2. Wood carving single edge hook knife (new & has not been sharpened)
3. Buffing compound (new): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000D ... UTF8&psc=1
4. Bluecell 12-pack abrasive dry/wet paper (new): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CY3 ... UTF8&psc=1
5. Lasko Electric Oscillating Heater (new, in box). Similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-5309-Electr ... ater+tower
6. Dohm DS White Noise Machine: http://www.amazon.com/Marpac-DOHM-DS-Na ... ds=dohm+ds
7. Fusion Flavored Sea Salt Sampler Set (new, in original packaging): http://www.amazon.com/Limited-Fusion-Sa ... a+salt+set
8. Airr orthotic women's performance insoles, size 8-11 (new but package has been opened): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U5 ... UTF8&psc=1

Pay for shipping and it's yours:
1. MintCraft Security Strike (new): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UV ... UTF8&psc=1
2. Funoc ladies leg warmers, black (new): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M92 ... UTF8&psc=1
3. TAKEN: Peet's Coffee, 16 ounces house blend, whole beans, roasted 12/12/2014 (package unopened)

Wanted:
1. Tactical knives 6" and under
2. Light backpacking stove
3. Lightweight camping pot
4. 12" cast iron skillet
5. Emergency light/flashlight (the kind that plugs into the wall when not in use)
6. Tactical flashlight
7. Garden fabric
8. Organic seeds (bok choy, collard greens, cucumber, peas, broccoli raab, basil, microgreens, spinach)

Will update list as decluttering continues.
Last edited by llorona on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

Category 1:
-grey Targus backpack, fair condition.
-Books: Catcher in the Rye, Deep Survival, The 16% Solution, Investment Biker

Category 2:
-New in box full bedsheets, one navy one beige.
-Ogio Big Dome duffel bag

Category W:
-Rear 7 speed cogset
-Chain
-Wrench for tightening headset

@Illorona I think I have a 2-burner stove you can have, should fit in a medium priority mail box (~$13) if you pay shipping. I'll take coffee in exchange I suppose?

llorona

Post by llorona »

@J_L13: Thanks for the reply! I already have a large 2-burner stove camping stove - right now, what I need is a very small one for my bugout kit, like the kind that hardcore backpackers use.

You can have the coffee anyway! If you have a garden, I'd be happy to send you some seeds, too.

susswein

Post by susswein »

Jacob,

If you still have the fishing lures mentioed in the original post I'd be interested in any spinners (mepps) or rapala type lures.

Steve

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I have the books from Jacob's Investment curriculum minus Economics: Public and Private Choice and Financial Reporting and Statement Analysis.

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/start ... sting.html

All you pay is postage costs (probably $25 or so).

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

This maybe be against swapping idea, but I think I still fight waste.

Can EU folks show up?
I would (mainly) even pay for (higher) inter-country postage if you have any fancy stuff to give away.

Stuff I'm interested:

-books in English mentioned/recommened on ERE wiki/blog (especially: The Complete Tightwadgazette, Good Boatkeeping, something practical on permaculture/"home garden", survival literature, How to live without salary -> mainly stuff with many actionable steps)

-camping gear/survial stuff - I assume that in West Europe dumpster divers can find nice loot :P. If it isn't the case, please ignore this request - to be more precise I'm not looking for the latest models (and/or 300$ knives)... Something from 1995-2000 would suit me. I have these items from my parents generation, but it's too heavy (or I'm too weak :mrgreen: ).

I don't have anything interesting to offer in return. I could send you postcard from my place, but I don't want increase waste :D