Would you play an ERE computer game? (GREENLIT)

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
TopHatFox

Re: Would you play an ERE computer game?

Post by TopHatFox »

Volunteer for hire!

takapunch

Post by takapunch »

SHOW ME YA GAMES!

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I'd like to try it, too.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Okay, between here and other forums, I have plenty of people. As I said, other people in this thread can still participate if they really want to play the alpha instead of a later version, but it may be tricky to juggle everyone's feedback.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the standard controls aren't well-known everywhere:
Z - select/interact
X - menu/cancel
Shift - run

EDIT JR: Well, it didn't take long to find a serious bug. Don't use the Shrine of Patience for now, or your expenses will be permanently screwed up - I missed a single conditional statement that causes the mortgage variables to do weird things. This shouldn't affect the beginning of the game, since the Shrine isn't unlocked until a ways in. I've fixed the problem and it will be uploaded in a future version.

Still, just to be sure, watch your expenses like a hawk. You should be running a deficit of $600 at the beginning and it should change to a surplus of $250 after the second month, then only change in response to individual actions.
Last edited by Ian on Mon May 05, 2014 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

And Ian, I assume it should be played using the Windows operating system?

Ian

Post by Ian »

Yes, it's Windows-only for now. Sorry if that's a problem.

If you've already downloaded the game, wait and download the new version (same link) in 15 minutes or so. The bug I mentioned in the previous post might still exist in your version.

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo »

did you ever play a game called 'Jones in the Fast Lane'? I remember playing it about 15 years ago, concept was just a general life game where you spent a certain amount of time (turns) doing things such as getting an education, job, invested etc. I'm not sure how popular it was but I was strangely addicted to it.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Okay, a fair number of you have downloaded. Keep doing your thing if it all seems to be working fine, but if you see any bugs that cause permanent problems, send me a PM and I'll release a patched version.
Rickardo wrote:did you ever play a game called 'Jones in the Fast Lane'? I remember playing it about 15 years ago, concept was just a general life game where you spent a certain amount of time (turns) doing things such as getting an education, job, invested etc. I'm not sure how popular it was but I was strangely addicted to it.
I didn't play it originally, but in an earlier thread someone mentioned it and I played around with the flash version for a while. I can see the appeal, and based on the reaction at that time, there was definitely a niche of people who enjoyed it.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Alpha testers, I'm going to try to catch you all here. Please download the game again, or you'll run into a game-freezing bug at the Fortress of Discontent. This version will also fix the Shrine of Patience, a sidequest, and some cosmetic things.

All your save files are still valid! Look for the files named "SaveXX" in your folder, make sure they get into the new folder, and you should be able to pick up where you left off. You do need to see the formerly bugged scene at the Fortress in order to unlock everything in the game.

I didn't expect you guys to get this far so quickly. I should have known people on this forum would wipe out the high interest loan immediately...

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Wait a minute--I don't see my PM! I was the first to volunteer outright, and with RPG Maker experience to boot. Why have you forsaken me!?

...Actually, it's cool. I can wait for a less buggy version (GF and I just discovered Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare anyway). Good luck with the alpha testing!

Ian

Post by Ian »

Sorry, I wasn't sure whether or not all the previous volunteers were for the alpha or the beta, so I decided to ask again. I want at least another wave of betas, just in case the fixes for this set cause new problems, so you should have ample opportunity.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Another volunteer here. Whatever phase you need me in.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

This game is very enjoyable...and witty!

I found a possible issue though: there doesn't seem to be enough Anti-Matter Keys in the Floor of the Arts in the Tower of Self-Improvement to open all of the Anti-Matter Doors (3 extra doors-3 missing keys).

Ian

Post by Ian »

Zalo wrote:This game is very enjoyable...and witty!

I found a possible issue though: there doesn't seem to be enough Anti-Matter Keys in the Floor of the Arts in the Tower of Self-Improvement to open all of the Anti-Matter Doors (3 extra doors-3 missing keys).
Glad you're enjoying it.

The Floor of Arts isn't a bug, just one of the less intuitive puzzles. I'll give you a hint: you've gotten all the Anti-Matter keys that are clearly visible, but are there any parts of the floor you should be able to go to that you can't? That's all I'll say, because once you're expecting the trick this one is extremely obvious.
GandK wrote:Another volunteer here. Whatever phase you need me in.
I appreciate that too. I'm hoping to let the current set finish the entire game before I invite any new testers, just to be sure that none of the improvements I'm introducing break things.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks to all the people giving feedback. I've fixed every single bug that has been sent to me as of the time I'm typing this and I've uploaded a new version. It doesn't fix anything critical, but definitely download it if you haven't played much yet so you don't report bugs that have already been fixed.

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

Where is the kickstarter for this game?

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

After I opened up the Sea of Ambition, I constantly hear the wind sound no matter what location I'm in.

Also, when I landed on the Port of Ambition with my boat, the boat got "stuck" on the wood of the port; I was unable to move the boat out of the port after that.

Ian

Post by Ian »

YoungAndWise wrote:Where is the kickstarter for this game?
Not yet created. I'm actually 90% of the way there, and I'd hoped to start it up this week, but Amazon Payments is being frustrating about approving my identity.
Zalo wrote:After I opened up the Sea of Ambition, I constantly hear the wind sound no matter what location I'm in.

Also, when I landed on the Port of Ambition with my boat, the boat got "stuck" on the wood of the port; I was unable to move the boat out of the port after that.
Are you playing the newest version? I just recently fixed a problem with the wind sound, but if you have the newest version and it still hasn't gone away, then I'm not sure what the problem is.

I see what you mean about the port. It'll be fixed in the next version, but meanwhile all problems with lost or stuck vehicles can be fixed by teleporting back to the castle.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Amazon Payments isn't the greatest system, but their customer service is nowhere near as awful as I've seen reported. After some communication there, my account is approved and so I think I'm close to ready. Check out this preview link and provide comments/criticism:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... n=c8a92e25

I know I'm not great with audio/video, but I did what I could to put together an intro. I'd like to launch my campaign this weekend, so criticism is welcome sooner rather than later.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Alright, everyone, the Kickstarter is LIVE and counting down!
(url: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... icle-quest)

I wish I'd had a little longer to get everyone's feedback on the project pitch, but weekends are good times to launch and I don't want to delay this any further. Feedback is still welcome, and obviously the alpha testers will continue to iron out various bugs. (Alphas: there's a new version of the game at your link, with an assorted collection of improvements and a few necessary fixes in the post-game.)

Any of you who are interested in pledging to this project, it'd be great if you did so sooner rather than later. This stage with less than 30% backed is the stage where most projects fail, so it would be nice to get over that obstacle early. My offer to play the game early and for free is still valid for anyone who has posted in this thread before, though you might want to wait until the alpha testers have polished it up a little more.

I think that's all I have to say for now. It begins...