Anyone want to come sailing with me this winter?

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
susswein

Anyone want to come sailing with me this winter?

Post by susswein »

From some of the recent posts, it sounds like there are quite a few sailors on here. I'm going to be spending the winter sailing around the sea of Cortez on my 27' sailboat. Right now I don't have anyone committed to join me, so if anyone is interested in coming down for a couple of weeks or more consider this an open invitation.

Oh, and to make this ERE related:

- The boat is 38 years old and cost me a whopping $3000
- I plan to spend most of my time anchored out in uninhabited coves, so no slip fees
- Fish we catch can make up a portion of our diet, and beer at a bar only costs about 80 cents a bottle.
- In past years my cost of living while sailing in Mexico has been significantly less than what I spend at home.
- An overnight bus down to where I'll be sailing will cost you under $100

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Anyone want to come sailing with me this winter?

Post by jacob »

I wish you would have asked in 2011! Maybe 2014 or 2015?
You should reach out to akratic(+1). He might be interested.

susswein

Post by susswein »

HI Jacob,

I'll give you a raincheck for 2014 or 2015, but by then it might be the inside passage instead of Baja, or an overland trip in southern africa or down the panamerican to Ushuaia.

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Heya Susswein,

I just moved aboard my own 25' Roberts.

Its my first yacht, going to use her for the next year polishing up my nav skills (I have worked at sea in the navy)

At the moment she is berthed in Brisbane Australia where I work. I still have 15 years unfortunately, until ERE but would love the idea of sailing of Mexico.

I am playing with the idea of flying over in 12 months to upgrade to a 30 / 40ft boat as it will still work out cheaper than buying a larger boat here.

Anyway, stay active on the forums mate, who knows in the future due to the hemisphere differences I can crew for you in your summer you can travel down and crew for me in out summer.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

I am interested in details of your invitation.
I grew up in the Detroit area and sailed quite a bit as a boy with my father on his 16 foot sloop on Lake St. Clair (a not great lake in the Great Lakes system) and in Sea Scouts on an old wood 36 foot Yawl.

I crewed on 25 to 30 foot boats as a young man.

I have rented a Cal 28 and a 30 foot Fiberglass sloop in Florida for a week each time in salt water.

I am a healthy 73 years old who doesn't drink, but isn't bothered by others who do reasonably partake.

I can play guitar a bit and cook well.

I speak enough Spanish to find the toilet and not starve. Not really conversational. "Por favor, hablas mas dispacio e simple, como a un niño pequeño"

I have to be back by early May to Hike the Appalachian Trail for a month. Other than that, I'm open.

Tommy Tebco

Let me know if you are interested.