Berkeley Meetup Nov. 27th @ 1pm @ Au Coquelet -- University/Milvia in Berkeley

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

We'll meet at Au Coquelet in downtown Berkeley on Saturday Nov. 27th.
See Instructions how to get there.
A few of you have already met me, but I don't think anyone has met each other. I'll bring a sign to put on the table saying ERE. If I don't show up first, you may want to do the same.
(I'll attempt to wear a gray suit jacket with a lapel pin)

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

looking forward to it! i will bring some three-buck chuck, maybe some t-day leftovers.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

And everybody bring a bottle opener this time :)

Q

Post by Q »

Aww man - I will be out of town for once. Turkey Day in New mexico this year...

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

+1 more.

Q

Post by Q »

Any chance of it moving up or down 1 weekend and not that weekend?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I'm trying to coordinate it with Zev (the honored guest) flying in from NYC. This was the weekend given.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

I'm flexible, though--could do end of Dec.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

+1 more.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Tentative +1 (+.9?)
Zev: It's still only two bucks whenever I go. Well, there's tax...

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

If anyone wants to get started in vermicomposting, I can bring some red wiggler worms.
You need to have your composter set up already, since the worms need to go somewhere when you bring them home. You can buy a $100 unit, or you can make your own for less than 10 bucks out of a bucket or tote. Here are some instructions. Do this in advance and let me know if you want some free worms.

mike

Post by mike »

Self & masalawoman should be able to make it too.
Will bring something to eat (low glycemic load) and some wine (white & red).
And yes, also a cork screw ;-)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

It turns out the park has a NO ALCOHOL policy.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

hm... change of venue, anyone? i haven't been to the Cheese Board in a long time--they don't have a single paleo-friendly item, but if i'm going to have a dose of gluten, that'd be the place to do it. :)
it's not really a great hangout because there aren't many tables (no large ones), but there's Peet's around the corner, where we could sit. i would happily be the one buying a coffee to make our stay legit.
alternatively, there's lots of nice plazas and lawns on the UCB campus to meet at.

mike

Post by mike »

Damned No Alcohol Policy! Ok so no wine then.
Seeing that the weather forecast says rain on Saturday (and assuming they are correct)...should we have a backup location..say the Berkeley Public Library ? (open from 10 am to 6 pm)..just a couple of blocks from the Bart Station on Shattuck Avenue (downtown Berkeley station)
http://www.berkeleypubliclibrary.org/ab ... ations.php
Being a library and all I am assuming though there would be no possibility of bringing food much less wine ;-)
What say?
M

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

A few ideas in case of rain, alternatives to the library idea (a good gathering place, but we wouldn't be able to talk much):
* Au Coquelet on University@Milvia in Berkeley. I know it from student days--you can hang out there for hours with just a coffee purchase.

* Peet's on Fourth St. -- great coffee, not as big of a place

* Starbucks at Oxford/Center -- Starbucks is a cheapskate's paradise; I regularly go there in NYC without purchasing anything. This location is particularly bright and pleasant.
* a wild card: my family's house in San Francisco. Also bright and pleasant, though probably not very convenient for many of you. It's close to the Balboa Park BART station. It would be a nice opportunity for me to set an ERE first--first person to host ERE meet-ups on two coasts. :)

Bakari

Post by Bakari »

I doubt very much that the policy is enforced, especially if its a group of reasonably quiet, well behaved adults, who keep it low profile.

I don't think I have ever even seen a cop at Caesar Chavez.
Are people supposed to RSVP?

Me, +1

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Given the 40-50F temperature and the 70% chance of rain, I think we should move it indoors.
Personally, I'd prefer a place with not too many surrounding people. My spectrum analyzer isn't very good at separating multiple conversations in noisy environments.
I'd estimate we're currently around 10 ppl.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

Okay, chances of rain are up to 80% now. I'm going to take the reins and announce:
We'll meet at 1pm at Au Coquelet. If you take BART to the Downtown Berkeley Station, walk north for a couple blocks to University Ave., then take a left and walk down to Milvia, which is one block west; it's on the southeast corner of University/Milvia. If you're coming via I-80, get off at University Ave. and come up about two miles to Milvia.
There are two rooms at Au Coquelet--the front room is where we'll try to meet, as the back room is restaurant (meal) service only. I'm hoping that because of the holiday, it will be pretty dead.
My Google Voice number is (646) 770-0451 -- feel free to call or text if you need directions or whatever. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

gratonman

Post by gratonman »

Enjoyed meeting everyone in Berkeley yesterday !

Jacob, thanks for organizing.

Zev, thanks for suggesting Au Coquelet for the meetup. Things known from student days come in handy.