Silicon Valley Meetup - Saturday, Sept. 11th at 2pm

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
Q

Post by Q »

Ok, Jacob asked and here is my response.
8/29/10
I propose Lake Vasona in Los Gatos - has lot's of relatively cheap/free activities, BBQ areas and if anything else, is an amazing park with tons of space and free parking on the outskirts.
I'll provide all drinks (alcoholic and non alcoholic).
I'd love to host again at my place, but we have a guest for the time being.
Plus I like paddle-boats too.
I thought about a park in Fremont, as it is "closer" to many I bet, but, I don't really know those too well at all, and I know Vasona ok.
I have a "back-up" place that would sound funny to some, but if Vasona is a no-go, then I'll put it out there.
EDIT: Pot-luck free for all.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I can make that.

S

Post by S »

I wish I could make this, but I won't be in the bay area (Fremont, actually) until Sept 8th.

Q

Post by Q »

It'd be cool to have you, so we could pepper you with questions about road living and all that fun stuff.
I wouldn't be opposed to a delay, but, the 10th, I have an event, so, 9/17/10 could be an alternative.

S

Post by S »

How about the 11th or 12th? I'll only be in town for a week. It's ok if the scheduling doesn't work out though.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

How about 9/11. I got a race on 9/12.

Q

Post by Q »

Ill have to see what job is scheduled for that day. Saturdays I work till about 1ish...

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Should the date for this be changed? What's the current consensus? Who's coming?

S

Post by S »

I'd like to come, but the 29th won't work for me. The afternoon of the 11th seems available for everyone who's replied?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

9/11 2pm, everyone?

pj

Post by pj »

lake vasona's right up my alley!
either time works for me. it'd be good to meet some of you guys in person.

Q

Post by Q »

Sounds good - what's the count then...7 so far?
I *might* be late depending on work...
And parking there is $5 if I remember, although there is free parking outside on the streets and then you can sort of walk-in. Also, not even sure where we should meet. Heh

mike

Post by mike »

Hi,
Count me in too.
I will be coming from Fairfield so will be a bit of a drive for me. Not familiar with the Lake Vasona area..is there a specific entrance/gate etc. that I should be at 2 p.m. on the 11th?
Also, I am happy to host a future get together etc. at my place. It is very close to the Suisun valley area. Some attractions:
- Bud plant some miles away...get a free tour and 2 free glasses of beer of your choice

- Suisun Valley Wine Cooperative: $5 tastings for up to 30 different wines, can't get that just over the hill in Napa.

- Larry's Produce : awesome veggies and great prices...you will not want to pay grocery store prices again

- Jelly Belly factory : haven't been on the tour but you can imagine how happy you will make your dentist!
Just a thought.
Thanks

Mike.

Q

Post by Q »

I haven't been on the jelly belly tour either - and my dentist would love me more if I went on it I am sure.
I'm not sure either where we should meet exactly. I can probably do some recon work to see what would be best, since gas is at no cost to me.
Been pretty hot in-land up there eh? San Jose has been 100 nearly every day this week...took long enough :)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Yeah, we need some coordinates, a land mark.
I also need to advertise it on the blog pretty soon before interested nonforum readers start making other plans.

mvbma

Post by mvbma »

I can make it.

pj

Post by pj »

There is a boat house on the back side of the park, where they launch the paddle boats from. There are tables, bbq pits and other stuff nearby, and it's accessible from outside the park for free parking. Since it's on the back side it'll be pretty empty, hopefully, so I think we should meet there. What do you say?

Q

Post by Q »

double post, whoops

Q

Post by Q »

That's funny, cuz the boathouse is where I was telling Jacob privately we should meet!
Good thing someone else brought it up

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@pj, Q - Can one of you write up some instructions for "how to get there via various interstates, possible buses or bart; where the free parking is, and how to get to the boat house".
Question: Is it possible to bring a dog?
@all - Based on how it went last time, I'd recommend that if you have specific questions, write them down and try to mark them off as you get them answered. Otherwise the talking will just be in runaway mode and suddenly it'll be six hours later, people will be leaving, and you'll have a bunch of unanswered questions.