Investing, Finance and Economics 2021 Study Group

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
Qazwer

Re: Investing, Finance and Economics 2021 Study Group

Post by Qazwer »

@crusader at the risk of being contrarian to a lot of people on this website
Have you checked out
https://www.financialwisdomforum.org ?
and their wiki

Bogleheads Canadian - will give you the 80% solution that you may be looking for

white belt

Post by white belt »

@Crusader

Ok I think I understand where you are going with this. I'm not familiar with Canadian tax laws so I can't help you on that front. Any tax consideration question like yours is actually quite difficult to answer because it requires making assumptions and predictions about the future. I'll echo that Bogleheads Canadian is probably a good place to start.

However, I would caution that to me it sounds like you're focused on the tactics of "doing things right", when in fact the overall strategy is much more important: "doing the right things". The strategies vs tactics dynamic is covered in the ERE book, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that any potential gains from optimizing your current situation pale in comparison to the potential losses from not understanding your larger investment strategy and portfolio construction. To give a more specific example, you may save money on taxes and fees in the short term, but that's not going to help you much if your entire portfolio is tanking at the same time because in a low interest rate environment, stocks and bonds are actually highly correlated.

In other words, as Jacob points out in the original curriculum blog post, you might be much better off just doing nothing with your portfolio while you continue to learn rather than making a bunch of decisions now that down the line you may regret.

Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Bogleheads Canadian and https://www.financialwisdomforum.org

This looks great, thanks @Quazwer and @white belt, will check it out (haven't heard of it before).

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

you guys might wanna add mmt to the curriculum

https://60secondinvestor.com/news/the-m ... -on-earth/

WFJ

Post by WFJ »

Below are better and more useful books for beginning (or even experienced) investors. The below two books cover all the topics needed to create an appropriate portfolio for any investor with AUM under $5 million. Academic textbooks will expose one to theories and jargon used in a theoretical setting, but reading below books will create the knowledge most investors need to make wise investment decisions. I'd also suggest buying a TI BAII financial calculator.

Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel (1973 and updated)

Barron's Guide to Making Investment Decisions (1999)

biaggio

Post by biaggio »

I'm reading Investments by Bodie et al., soon halfway through, and so far I can say the book is well written and very accessible. It often sweeps technicalities under the rug but points you to more detailed treatments, and explains the gist very well. I highly recommend it, it's been illuminating for me personally. I now view some popular views, like indexing, in a new light.