Investing, Finance and Economics 2021 Study Group

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
Crusader

Investing, Finance and Economics 2021 Study Group

Post by Crusader »

I would like to start a study group to motivate me to get off my ass and not procrastinate on things I've been wanting to learn for a while now. The reading list can be found here:

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/start ... sting.html

We can start with Investments by Bodie. The book has seven parts, so I am thinking 2 weeks per one part, and we can track the progress, questions and thoughts in this thread. To give people time to get the book (whichever edition, they probably didn't change much), let's aim to finish Part 1 by the end of January.

ertyu

Re: Investing, Finance and Economics 2021 Study Group

Post by ertyu »

I'm in. My preliminary thoughts are, I wonder if this textbook is still relevant. It seems to me things have changed too much. QE/monetary plumbing, fund flows, and options mkt dynamics seem most important to understand now. Looking through the table of contents, I have studied some of these things at various points and I am unsure how much they matter right now. Still, I will put my best effort towards this.

Anyone who would like to participate in the study group but can't get their hands on a copy of the book, dm me, I might be able to help.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis »

This was tried about a year ago, don't think it got much traction. I'm finishing McConnell first, and I don't think I could keep up with the 2 week schedule seeing as it looks like I'll need to teach myself a bunch of math to complete this, but I might pop in here when I get it started.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

I'd like to, but have already started my own syllabus and don't want to derail.

i'll see if i can join you guys for some sections.

i'm currently looking forward to reading up on macroeconomics because i'm specifically interested in both currency and bond markets.

eta:
Cheepnis wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:28 pm
This was tried about a year ago, don't think it got much traction. I'm finishing McConnell first, and I don't think I could keep up with the 2 week schedule seeing as it looks like I'll need to teach myself a bunch of math to complete this, but I might pop in here when I get it started.
ive asked this elsewhere but is that book about micro or macro or both?

for micro you can do something as easy as khan academy, very user friendly and easy to grasp concepts
https://www.khanacademy.org/economics-f ... oeconomics

and i've enjoyed this video course as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vss3nofHpZI

you don't really need to go heavily into math to get the concepts.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis »

I was unclear, I mean't the math in the Bodie book, McConnell math hasn't gone above multiplication and division.

And both. First half is macro, second half is getting into micro.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ah, thanks! i've seen mcconnell's macroeconomics as a standalone... cheaper than the whole enchilada. still pricey everywhere but i'm trawling various libraries in search of free reads.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Alphaville wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:15 pm

ive asked this elsewhere but is that book about micro or macro or both?
it's both, at least the edition jacob recommended for the reading list.
but it's not uncommon for textbook authors to sell a micro only book, a macro only book, and then a thicker micro + macro book.

i didn't join the previous study group because i'm pretty solid on micro/macro theory, or at least the college level textbook version of it. at this point, if i actually get over my laziness i'll probably read moseler.

as for bodie math prerequisites: a calc I / intro to stats should be enough.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ertyu wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:51 pm

as for bodie math prerequisites: a calc I / intro to stats should be enough.
ah, thanks! yah, im not blocked by math, i'm just not interested in "investment" at the moment, as my investments are handled by a pension fund i do not control.

im actually more interested in understanding fundamental aspects of markets for trading proper, and macro is at the core of both currencies and treasuries markets, hence i need a strong review of the subject at the moment. i took a college class ages ago, but had trouble staying awake for it and dropped it. :lol:

macro is also the most mysterious and esoteric of both branches, in my view. i think most of us can agree on micro concepts in an intuitive fashion, whereas macro... is often counterintuitive, and almost a matter of religious faith :mrgreen:

---

eta: since i don't intend to become an economist, maybe i'll just read this:
https://www.amazon.com/Concise-Guide-Ma ... 00IHGQVSE/

Crusader

Post by Crusader »

If people don't want to join in "strictly", but just want to make a comment on this thread here and there about something that comes up, you are more than welcome to! I will be putting my thoughts in this thread as I read the chapters myself, and I encourage others (ertyu and anyone else) to do so as well.