Canadian Jacob?

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Canadian Jacob?

Post by jacob »

Yes, that's Canadian Dream Free at 45. He's one of the OGs back from when there was less than a handful of FIRE blogs.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I don't think so but he's been regularly blogging since around 2007.

Redo

Post by Redo »

Am I the only one who finds this clickbaity? They are both working, and there's nothing extreme about their early retirement.

Edit: Did a little digging, "How to live on $36,000 a year"......no comment.
http://www.canadian-dream-free-at-45.co ... ar-part-i/

This seems like the typical save 1 million dollars and live off 4% SWR.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Extremeness refers to the age, not the amount. Outside the FIRE world, anything under age 40 is still considered extreme just as anything under 55 is considered early.

Anyway, Tim has been blogging for some 13 years. I'd consider his aims and plans typical for what you'd find on early-retirement.org so more of a traditional path working a solid job and LBYM for a couple of decades until the proverbial million mark. Thus more traditional extreme early retirement than the high incomes and/or lifestyle tactics/experimentation that characterize the "FIRE movement" as it has come to be.

Redo

Post by Redo »

I mean, you don't need 7000 per kid. 36k CAD for a family of 4 is easily doable, but they make it sound like it's some difficult thing. They even have a paid off house. This is why I stay away from these personal finance people, they are usually upper-middle class living in their own bubble. People in the comments really arguing about how their grocery bills are 1000$ a month SMH.