[ERE Skill Share] Bread Baking

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
Clarice

Re: [ERE Skill Share] Bread Baking

Post by Clarice »

We did make a starter yesterday. This morning, it showed some subtle bubbles - proof of life! :) Question: what is the meaningful practical difference between hard wheat and soft wheat? My choice of flour is between American hard wheat with molted barley added or fancy Italian 100% soft wheat. I made a starter from both - 20 hours later they look very similar. Any advice?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ah i’d like to see how it was done when video is up.

as for flours: hard wheat is higher gluten and soft wheat is higher starch afaik.

lemme see... https://sciencing.com/difference-betwee ... 66495.html

yep

most american flours including king arthur bread flour have a bit malted barley to add yeast development (i pmed the prof about that.) it’s not a bad thing actually it helps and people buy it on purpose. eg see: https://modernistpantry.com/products/di ... owder.html

i buy wheat montana all purpose and king arthur bread and all purpose and gold medal etc and they all have it—except for the whole wheat varieties.

hegesippe

Post by hegesippe »

Tonight will be the last session, the actual bread baking !
Maybe we will be able to show you some tasty breads to show off :P
8PM Paris Time

Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I am sorry I only joined for the first session. I tend to overplan all the things I want to do on vacation, and other stuff got in the way and I realized that I just don't have time to add another time sensitive project to my list.

I hope the others had fun, though and would love to see some pictures of finished products :)

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

Yo, I'm trying to get into bread baking, particularly sourdough and whole wheat. I'm also trying to learn how to make whole wheat rolls for veggie burgers. Any tips bread pros? Also, are the videos from this available anywhere? Thanks y'all.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

oops wrong thread sorry guys

--

eta: so did you ever get a final session/video?