ERE Investment Curriculum

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
mooretrees

Re: ERE Investment Curriculum

Post by mooretrees » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:40 am

I'm in, and will order the first couple of books today. Just the push I needed to start learning about investing! Thanks J+G!

Bro

Post by Bro » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:06 pm

Is this still going down with a sub-forum being set up?

cheese

Post by cheese » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:18 pm

I actually started reading the first economics textbook a couple weeks ago (7 chapters down so far). Would be happy to discuss/work through some sample problems if/when others join in later this year. The end of each chapter has web-based questions that seem like they would be good exercises using real-world data.

I've been dedicating an hour or two a night during the week and so far I've found the 50-100 pages/week recommendation to be manageable/realistic. I imagine I can sustain this pace for as long as the material remains interesting. I could likely go faster if I was willing to dedicate portions of Saturday/Sunday but my weekends remain sacrosanct. That said, I gotta go!

Fish

Post by Fish » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:38 pm

cheese wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:18 pm
I actually started reading the first economics textbook a couple weeks ago (7 chapters down so far). Would be happy to discuss/work through some sample problems if/when others join in later this year.
You don’t need to wait. Start a “McConnell Chapter X” thread. There are enough of us who have read the book for a lively discussion.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:33 pm

I'm still planning on starting December 1st if people still want to read it together. No need to wait for me to start the discussion though. I think keeping everyone together will be a challenge that can be somewhat mitigated by using subthreads to discuss.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:35 am

Once the subthreads start existing, I'll collate/move them into their own forum thread. For now, you can start them in the Money Questions subforum:
viewforum.php?f=3 Just make the thread titles somewhat descriptive, e.g. "EIC booktitle, chapter" or something like that will work.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:44 pm

O.K., I'm still planning on starting this December 1st. I got the 19th edition of the McConnell econ book, not sure if the version numbers will make a huge difference, my guess is no (but exercises might be different?). Anyone who wants to join is welcome. We are going in the suggested order which @fish highlighted earlier in this thread. I'm not 100% sure how we should do this. The McConnel books divided into 10 parts (let me know if this is different for different editions), of 1-3 chapters each (except part 7). I think we should do a section per week (~3 chapters) and spend two weeks on part 7, which is 7 chapters long. How does everyone feel about that?

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Sounds like a plan. Will start working on it as soon as the book comes in soon.

Quadalupe

Post by Quadalupe » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:35 am

Cool! I have the 15th edition, and I think there are some differences between chapters and maybe some reordering of material. But I'm sure we'll manage.