Laptop recommedations

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Frugalchicos

Laptop recommedations

Post by Frugalchicos »

Hi All,

My 11" Macbook air from late 2010 just died. It seems it can be the logic board (replacement on ebay for $90-120) or the hard drive (like $90).

I also have a 13" Macbook Pro from 2009 that I am updating the software and thinking in selling it on Ebay for $200-$250.

Anyways, I am thinking in maybe fixing both laptops and buying a new one. I also saw a lot of forums talking about the Macbook Pro from mid 2012 i5 or i7 and update the HD for a 500GB SSD and putting in 16GB of RAM. Everything could cost around $550-$600.

What are your thoughts? Any other laptop you recommend? I don't do crazy stuff, edit videos or gaming.

Thanks,

Frugalchico

bryan

Re: Laptop recommedations

Post by bryan »

What programs do you use? A chromebook (e.g. Chromebook Plus is usually <$300 on craigslist and an excellent computer for basically everything except incompatible apps or those that require heavy processing) could be a solution.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

used Thinkpad. bricks. run forever.

CactusSurfer

Post by CactusSurfer »

Well, how much of a Mac person are you? If you really prefer MacOS, you could do a lot worse than a used 2012 Macbook Pro or a used Macbook Air, as you know. If you don't care one way or the other, though, you're probably better off getting a ~3 year old off-lease corporate laptop. Thinkpads are great as BRUTE said; Dell and HP also make good machines. This is what I have: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP ... 640.0.html Got it three years ago, the thing is darn near indestructible, and it can still run just about everything but modern games.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

If you just want to surf the web on your front porch a Chromebook is a cheap way to do it.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Thank you all!

I just bought a keyboard for the iPad. The only thing I miss so far is excel and being able to manage files in a better way.

I think I will sell the 2009 Macbook and Late 2010 Macbook Air (if it costs more than $150 to fix) on eBay and consider a cheap used Chromebook as you guys recommended.

JBmoney

Post by JBmoney »

I just got a thinkpad and love it. But, that's probably not helpful to you if you're a Mac junkie.

The best bang for your buck would be if you were to build your own. Reddit has a great subreddit r/buildapc. You'll be able to teach yourself, buy parts, and build the computer in a weekend. From what I've seen, you'll get the same power as a storebought computer for about 30-50% less.

But, if you want to stick with Mac.... the Air is very, very solid still. Albeit a bit pricey.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Hi there JBmoney.

Thnaks! I will definitely look at the Reddit option. One of the things that piss me off from Mac is that they really make your machine outdated very quickly, and you are not able to upgrade it since everything is welded to the mother board (unless we are talking about the old Pros. That's why I was interested in the mid 2012)...

And yes, I think I am a bit of a Mac junkie, need a good detox...

Jean

Post by Jean »

I kept m'y thinkpad for 10 years. Then i bougt à 4 year Old one for 350. Should last 6 years.

FrugalPatat

Post by FrugalPatat »

I would look up failure rates of laptops/components before buying one. And for a low-spec pc you could definitely consider second hand or 'refurbished'. On the other hand there would be increased risk of rapid failure due to planned obsolence.

JBmoney wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:40 pm
The best bang for your buck would be if you were to build your own. Reddit has a great subreddit r/buildapc. You'll be able to teach yourself, buy parts, and build the computer in a weekend. From what I've seen, you'll get the same power as a storebought computer for about 30-50% less.
Vendors of assembled computers don't buy their components at the same price as we do. When I looked into it, it wasn't worth it for a low-spec pc.

RFS

Post by RFS »

Here's a great thread from r/SuggestALaptop. It splits the recommendations up by category (general use, gaming, and ultraportables) then sorts by price.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Thank you guys. I finally bought a 13" mid 2012 Macbook Pro i5 2.5ghz (It sold until October 2016) and upgraded it with a new original battery, 16gb of Ram and a 500gb ssd samsung Evo. Everything for $500. I will sell an old 2008 Macbook we had sitting around for $160 or so to cover some costs.

I like the fact that I can change pretty much everything myself and I also learnt a lot in the process. :D

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Akshay_M wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:47 am
GTA 5
On a related note, for a limited time GTA5 is free for downloading on their website.

bryan

Post by bryan »

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/ ... Until-May-
For a limited time, get the Grand Theft Auto V: Premium Edition for free on the Epic Games store. From now until 11AM ET on May 21st the game will be available for free and will remain yours to keep after that.
Will try later.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

One has to signup and 'checkout' at price 0.00
Entering card details is not required but the download file is 94GB.
I'm unsure if one checks out now could he download after 21st.

bryan

Post by bryan »

Now this week Civilization 6 is free to get to keep: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p ... on-vi/home

Back to topic: I'll be in the market for a new PC later this year too. Not sure if I want to build a sffpc or get an AMD-brained (in the current gen of processors, AMD just destroys Intel on almost every metric) laptop (without a discrete graphics card, maybe). If Apple had released their Apple-brained laptop this year (eta probably next year) I would be tempted to get that, despite not being into the Apple garden.

My main consideration is fit for van life while still performant and capable to run certain programs. Underwhelmed by power draw on most computers these days (hence the interest in an Apple-chipped laptop).

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

WAT. civ 6 free?????

wow! thanks for the link.

i quit playing the game on 4 because it got a bit silly. i still think 2 was the best hahahaha.

but free? i’ll give it a shot, provided it runs on mac (not sure, looking at that page).