ERE as Chess Discussion

Move along, nothing to see here!
trfie

Re: ERE as Chess Discussion

Post by trfie »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:49 am
I think style of frugality depends somewhat on inherent temperament/personality, but also phase of life. For instance, based on my own experience when I was in that phase, I would highly recommend quick initialization of 1 home-based income source, preferably a Schedule C rather than W2, for a couple with young children. Perhaps, this would be akin to a "Sacrifice of Queen" strategy? I might combine this with owner-occupied rental strategy. I tried to do this, but my ex was too introverted-misanthropic to tolerate shared housing.
A queen sacrifice is a tactic, not a strategy. Strategies are long-term plans. Tactics are short sequences that are done in order to achieve a specific end.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

for me ERE is self defence against "bad" The Man/big guys.

also see this for mental masturbation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKB8fwJY04

Starman

Post by Starman »

Chess is such a wonderful game! Its deepness extends its lessons far beyond the board, allowing meaningful comparisons with life itself. May I be allowed to expose some of those which relates to ERE philosophy.

Genius appears foolish to the profane eyes

The state of the world is not the same for someone who only see the surface of things, and for someone whose eyes can see farther.

In chess, this translates in analysis depth, whose increasing leads to dramatical changes in the evaluation of a move.
In some cases, grandmasters can sacrifice (foolishly?) one major piece, then another one, and then again another one. Such moves are incomprehensible for those unable to see that several moves later, these moves, apparently stupid, and disastrous at short term, can lead to checkmate.

When I started studying grandmaster games, I was sometimes shocked by some moves they made: "Seriously? My grandmother wouldn't have played that!", before being absolutely amazed by the genius they were full of, and which I was unable to see.

Chess is a field where the Wheaton levels, and more broadly the Dunning-Kruger effect, strike hard; it's also a school of humility, which gives a deep sense of the blindness one can have.

Time prevails matter

Chess beginners, with the superficial sight they have, tend to focus on material, as the only tangible thing they can see.

Like ERE fellows, experts chess players have a very different view, and give a higher value to time. In this paradigm, material has no value in itself, but is only seen as a mean to evolve through time, its true value lying in the potentialities it gives.

Grandmasters moves are, in this perspective, aimed towards time, even at the price of material losses if necessary.
Ex: you want to attack with your piece A, which is behind your piece B; you therefore have to move piece B to let piece A pass.
If you settle for moving B, your lose time; and you give your opponent the time to see what you will do next and block it.
A better move can be to move B first, yes, but in B's movement, put B in a position where it threatens the opponent's king.
When it will be your opponent's turn, he shall see what's going next; but he can do nothing about it, being forced to protect his king by (possibly) take B.
Doing that, A didn't lost any tempo by moving B; he choosed to trade matter for the benefit of time.

Like ERE lifes, grandmaster games are oriented in completely different directions than common ones, turning away from matter to consecrate time primacy.

Narrow minds don't see the scope of possibilities

Beginner chess players, as common mortal in life, exert their liberty by choosing among a very restrained set of possibilities.

Most of time, good moves's tragic destiny is to be discarded because they imply a short term loss, because their quality is immaterial (position, time), or because of limiting beliefs ("I can't afford to loose this queen because I would be nothing without her").

As a result, most people exert their liberty in a restricted space, unaware of their blindness. System 1 thinking strikes hard here, as well as all sorts of conditioning.
Fun fact: did you know that in middle age, nonattacking moves were despised because of their cowardice?

ERE is one of these moves, opening whole new fields of possibilities, but only noticeable by those willing to put in sufficient insight.

How-DoesThisSound

Post by How-DoesThisSound »

Is there anything like an ERE chess club? It seems to me that many people here might play chess as well. I'm on Chess.com and would love to play some matches if anyone else is on there! : )