Computers of the future?

Move along, nothing to see here!
TheRedHare

Computers of the future?

Post by TheRedHare »

Hi all, so one Youtuber that that follow regularly made this video about a "computer" called the EOMA68. This is a really cool concept and one that I think resonates well with the ERE philosophy. Check it out, and let's discuss.

Product: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

Youtuber opinion on the topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvHUDHqSeuM

steelerfan

Re: Computers of the future?

Post by steelerfan »

TBH it seems like a solution in search of a problem. I love the single board computers and have them all over the place. Generally run them headless and ssh into them. I am not sure how this computer represents an upgrade from whats out there. The Pi 3 is about as fast and has a robust community of support and several distros to run include Windows 10 IOT version. I like the Pi zero W which I can get for $5. I would also suggest you look at the Asus tinkerboard which has better specs - but very little support. $49 and microcenter.

steelerfan

Post by steelerfan »

Also - I generally scrounge all the other stuff I need from the electronic part grave yard.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

steelerfan wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:23 pm
What are you doing with all them?

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

Computer parts are cheap (if you refrain from buying the latest tech). And computers can be built out of other computers that are being junked. I think anyone tech savvy enough to want a 3D printed case/part/board that can accept a universal card will probably be building his own stuff out of recycled parts anyways - I've been doing it for years and stretched the life out my computers way past their end of life stage.

And as far as his NSA hacking comments about using self-made boards/bios - he better think again. If the NSA wants to hack you they will hack you. No one can prevent a focused and persistent attack from a government backed agency. The only 100% full proof means of protecting digital data is not having any data on any digital device whatsoever. And before digital, analog theft was just as bad.

I would have to agree with Steelerfan - this is a solution in search of a problem.