Disaster averted?

Move along, nothing to see here!
7Wannabe5

Disaster averted?

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

What do we think about helioculture? Too good to be true? Likelihood of unintended consequences?

IlliniDave

Re: Disaster averted?

Post by IlliniDave »

I had to Google it because I'd never heard the term.

The main think I can think of as far as downsides is what if this "modified" organism escapes containment and finds one or more niches in which to thrive in the environment as a plague? Unfortunately, I expect a "spill" would be highly likely.

They claim an area the size of the Texas panhandle (about the same as the surface area of Lake Michigan) would cover US transportation fuel needs. That's a lot of real estate and water to occupy.

Is the process carbon dioxide neutral? Seems like it would be.

Maybe it's not the answer, but it could be a step along the way.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

I've seen a lot of teasers about this and remember thinking "That sounds a lot like a Tree!".
The devil, my dear, is in the details.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

This seems to be another favorite on free energy and perpetual motion machine sites...

But, nice idea.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

I think it's a pretty nifty way of making fuel, but much of their content seems skewed towards the positive. It would be nice if they addressed any concerns (like @ID brought up) such as what would happen if the bacteria did get into the wild. It would also be nice to have a metric such as EROEI for their fuel. There is also the issue of still needing fossil fuel (the best ethanol blend is only 85% I think) as part of the final product. In one of their videos they did mention they have specific strains of bacteria for gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, but I doubt you could take the product and pour it into your tank. It still needs oil, even if its a small amount.

Their videos.

It seems that Audi has partnered with them so there probably is something to it.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

cmonkey said: It seems that Audi has partnered with them so there probably is something to it.
Exxon also invested hundreds of millions of dollars into LS-9 Inc. which uses a somewhat similar process also involving patented lifeforms, but requiring sugars. Apparently the brain behind both of these companies is George McDonald Church, co-author of "Programming Cells by Multiplex Genome Engineering and Accelerated Evolution" 2009.
tommytebco said: I've seen a lot of teasers about this and remember thinking "That sounds a lot like a Tree!".
Yeah, I had the same thought. Joule claims that it will be able to produce 5000 barrels/otherwise non-arable acre. What is the energy production of an acre of modern-methods managed timber if directly converted through burn?

@IlliniDave: Issues related to containment seem like they might be pretty huge. It seems like an organism that can convert sunlight and non-potable water directly into fuel could lead to some sort of previously unimaginable endgame catastrophe along the lines of Pacific Ocean On Fire!

I should note that I was sinking into a nihilistic depression recently, but then I went on hiking/swimming vacation and picked up a copy of "An Optimist's Tour of the Future" for $1 at a thrift store by the beach, and now I am back to my usual state of happy. This book is written for an intended audience that does not even understand basics of DNA, but it contains a lot of interesting links.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Nihilism should be liberating, not depressing.

Fuel is far from the highest value for managed timber, though it's a bi-product. I do know of people who figured out a way to run a motor vehicle by burning wood smoke in the previously gasoline powered motor though. I'm not that motivated.

I love the idea of something like helioculture, but share your fears of unintended consequences. But I'm even concerned about GMOs for environmental reasons. And even more for the fact that plants are so pan sexually promiscuous. My life will suck more when ("if" is wishful thinking on my part) the Roundup-ready gene gets into poison oak.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@enigmaT120: Yeah, it might be that the Nihilism arises in the realm of my depression, like a red helium balloon tied to my tail and lifting me up out of what ever rut of dogma I have dug my way into like an enthusiastic terrier once again not anticipating consequences.

The GMOs freak me out too. On my recent road trip to the west side of the state, my companion and I were struck by how many fields were filled with "devil corn."

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

7Wannabe5 wrote:I was sinking into a nihilistic depression recently, but then ... and now I am back to my usual state of happy.
better luck next time