My favorite ERE Book quote !!!

Move along, nothing to see here!
jasoninmississippi

Post by jasoninmississippi »

I have just start reading ERE Book, but my favorite Jacob quote: "People run harder and harder but somehow don't seem to get ahead, continuously bleeding money as luxuries become wants, wants becomes habits, and habits become needs, and so they slowly die a financial death by a thousand nibbling ducks." Page 24. When I read this, I felt like Jacob hit me with a 2x4. I think I need a BC !!! Jason

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

Page 5: "Playing the shadow game for five years provides a permanent way out of the cave."
I'm just starting chapter three though so expect more.

OurLifeInc.

Post by OurLifeInc. »

@AlexOliver
That's a great one! It's so powerful when you realize you can use the system to your advantage. So many people feel stuck. Change your perspective and change your life.
While not Jacob's direct quote...it was in his book and I hadn't heard it in awhile.
"Be the change you want to see" Page 8
Applicable to so many things.
I'm in chapter 6...so I have read a lot of great quotes thus far...

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I'll be collecting these for a blog post if there's enough of them. It's funny to me how different people all focus on something different. It's amazing how subjective the application of "great" and "profound" really is.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

p. 213: "What an institutional education [...] does is to facilitate the replacement of your parents with your future boss(es)."

Redsted1

Post by Redsted1 »

p.87: "using the company gym for free requires working for the company. In fact, companies often attempt to strengthen their employees' dependence on the company by providing "benefits" like health care, retirement plans, and other perks which can be thought of as golden handcuffs."
That quote sent chills up my spine. I have had things like this dangled in front of me by friends, family, and acquaintances countless times..."This job has GREAT benefits you should apply for it" or "What are the benefits for job x you are applying for?" I think the best part is knowing how slighted and pissed off 95%+ of the current workforce would be if they read that quote from the book...! :D

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

"Considering that the median home is priced above $150,000, a mortgage rate of 5% will cost the homeowner $9,663 each year, which is more than the entire budget described in this chapter." (pg 134, Chapter 6: A Renaissance Lifestyle)
So simply said.

fiby41

Re: My favorite ERE Book quote !!!

Post by fiby41 »

Not from the ERE book, but related:

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." ~Albert Camus.

Edit, Don't know where else/what other thread to put this quote in than this.
Last edited by fiby41 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fish

Post by Fish »

It's really hard to choose a single favorite quote, but this line has had the most effect on my thinking and my actions:
Since adopting specific actions will lead to specific outcomes, all effects can be considered goals, whether you actually want to achieve them or not.

The book has been out for nearly 7 years and these are the most popular quotes as tracked by the Kindle highlights feature. I found these many of these ideas to be particularly novel and insightful when reading ERE for the first time.
The design presented in the rest of the book rests on three pillars.
  • First, reduce waste and increase efficiency. It's possible to live with the same benefits as the rest of society for one quarter of what the average consumer spends. Many of these expenses are eliminated by only owning what is actually used, and maintaining what is bought. [...]
  • Second, having significantly reduced expenses, invest the difference in businesses. [...]
  • Third, find something meaningful to do instead of work. If your work is really meaningful to you, you can keep working, knowing that you are living a less wasteful existence and that you have the financial security to leave your job at any time. [...]
Wage slaves are free to change their job, but they're not free to quit their job. Wage slaves are free to choose other products as long as they can afford it, but they're not capable of creating alternatives to buying products, because they're too busy working.
The main purpose of the Renaissance man is to solve a problem as a human rather than as a part of the "work-spend" system.
Combined with self-confidence, agency is the attitude that any problem can be fixed, given enough resources in the form of time, effort, and determination. This attitude rests either on a thorough knowledge of or training in what is to be done, or on the surety that such knowledge or training can be attained. This attitude is often transferable from one field to another, completely unrelated field. Doing something that is considered very difficult at least once in your life is highly recommended.
It's important to understand that doing the right thing (good strategy) is much more important than doing things right (good tactics).
A very common and very good piece of career advice is not to work to earn money but work to learn new skills, gain new connections, and create new opportunities.
Freedom is attained by creating a large gap between production (revenue) and consumption (expenses). This can be done in two ways--earning more or spending less. Nothing new there.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

Fish wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:51 am
It's really hard to choose a single favorite quote, but this line has had the most effect on my thinking and my actions:

Since adopting specific actions will lead to specific outcomes, all effects can be considered goals, whether you actually want to achieve them or not.
There's that aforementioned 2x4 (across the brain). It hurts.