Miter v. table saw

Move along, nothing to see here!
karim

Post by karim »

I'm looking to start getting into woodworking (which I've done in the past and I've enjoyed) and doing some home maintenance (replacing boards on a deck).
The different options for saws is dizzying. What's a good type of started saw to do all these things (decking, carpentry). Table saw? Compound miter saw?

FPMLLC

Post by FPMLLC »

Depends on what you plan on doing. They are different animals.
When you say carpentry, are you talking about framing a house? A deck? Or small wood working projects, like making a frame ect?
A table saw is a great tool, you can do miters, dado cuts, tail cuts, and makes it easy. You would have a difficult time cutting large stock on it though ( picture a rafter, joist, stud or a decking board).
A miter saw (compound or not) again is a great tool for miter cuts, framing, trim work, you can cut long stock on it assuming you have the room to let it run off.
Your best bet is probably going to be a 7 3/4 circular saw. Combines with a speed square and armed with different blades you can cut framing material, decking, rip plywood down (can do this with table saw too but need room). This will allow you to basic miter cuts as well as bigger projects.
For an example on a deck/house build I usually use.
Circular saw for studs on scene or a miter saw (chop saw) with a stop so i can make cuts on multiple pieces repetivley with out measuring.
For joists that are usually 2x? or engineered I-beams Ill use the miter saw again for speed, and usually cutting 30 of the same lengh
for decking (a subfloor) I will use full sheets and either a table saw to rip down full sheets or a circular saw with a strait edge clamped.
If you want to build bigger things decks or additions, go with a circular saw, smaller wood projects I'd do with the table saw.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Yeah it really depends on what you want to do. A circular saw is hard to beat for fast rough work like decking but will be practically useless for fine carpentry like cabinetmaking. If you go for power tools I recommend 120 VAC power instead of batteries.

arrrrgon

Post by arrrrgon »

Check out yard sales. Old tools from the 80s seem like they last forever. I've seen circular saws for under 10 dollars many times. Miters range from 30-50. You can get a table saw pretty cheap at a yard sale, but that's the one tool you will probably want to spend a bit more money on. It will be worth it.

ICouldBeTheWalrus

Post by ICouldBeTheWalrus »

As far as commonly available power saws, the obvious first thing to acquire is a decent 7-3/4" (hand-held) circular saw. But it is a fairly dangerous tool, and I wouldn't get one that isn't solidly built or (if used) in good condition.
Table saws can do an awful lot of things, nearly anything short of cutting up sheet goods (plywood, etc.), but they do have a lot of safety issues to be concerned with (kickback and getting your fingers caught in the blade -- hence the use of featherboards, pushing blocks, etc.)
Also in more expensive than a circular saw items, don't forget to consider bandsaws and track saws. A properly set up bandsaw can do almost everything a table saw can except partial-depth cuts (dados, etc) and it avoids all the kickback issues of a table saw or handheld circular saw. Track saws are high quality circular saws that go in a track that allow a lot of the precision work you would do with a table saw.
Some table saws are easily portable and some are not, the non-portable ones are better quality and more expensive. Essentially all the woodworking bandsaws are non-portable as well, though you can mount them on a heavy base with casters. (There is a handheld bandsaw, but that's primarily for things like cutting pipe.)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Generally,
Table saw: ripping (along the boards).

Miter saw: crosscutting (across the boards).
I think you can do much more with a table saw (as mentioned above) than a miter saw (a simple substitute for laziness + the ability to do perfect 45 degree cuts). Of course that depends on whether you need to do a lot of cross cutting (the deck).
PS: I assert I could do the deck with my Disston D8 saw (filed rip, rip teeth crosscut okay, whereas crosscut teeth rip poorly) and a #5 plane.
PPS: You probably can't go wrong with a table saw. I'm a handtool guy and even I occasionally long for a table saw (and a drill press).
PPPS: In case you want to insure your fingers, there are table saws that detect whether flesh touches the blade and stops instantly thus avoiding accidental amputation. They're $500+ extra.

aussierogue

Post by aussierogue »

I am looking for an all purpose circular saw at the moment
Must be light

Must be able to bevel (angular cuts)

Must have a tool that allows stright ripping

Must have two or three blades of different sizes to allow for different applications.
I like the cordless ones as they are light and handy but they have less power.
For smaller jobs i have one of thos oscillating multi tools. Can cut most things like pipe, gyprock, metal and wood. Good handy tool to have.