How to Be a Better Employee

Move along, nothing to see here!
Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Job hopping can cost you 401k match, profit share vesting, extra vacation time, training investment, etc. Not to mention the qualitative value of lasting relationships and long term investment in building something. It's a last resort move, in my experience.
Effective politics can yield pay raises far in excess of 10%. They are key to becoming well compensated while staying at one company.
Also of value - choosing your career, industry and employer well, like you would any other investment. Some industries just pay more, as do some employers.
The extra pay for being the top performer is marginal, typically a few percent, especially as one approaches the top of a salary band. Riding the top of a salary band also increases your risk - either of being cut for getting paid too much, or of being "too valuable" to promote.
Much better to direct the "top performer" energy into a better title, until you are satisfied with the responsibility / compensation balance, as C40 alluded to.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Importantly, I said to cultivate an APPEARANCE of affable incompetence, not to actually be incompetent. I also mentioned working hard (or rather, working smart, on assignments that will most benefit you). To me this is a kind of drunken master technique for throwing management off balance. They know you complete assignments, they know you do some things very well, and you appear to enjoy doing them... but they're always a little leery of dumping something new on you. This is exactly how I want it, personally, but your situation might be different.
I'm sure some jobs reward minimal effort with substantial income increases. I'm also sure (because I've worked in them) that some jobs reward substantial effort with minimal income increases. YMMV.
Also, I disagree that my strategies are passive aggressive. To me it's about efficiency. It is inefficient for me to waste extra time and effort that I strongly suspect will be minimally rewarded.
For the record, I also agree with (I believe) KevinW who stated that in general, out of common human decency, it's a good idea not to throw other coworkers (including your boss) under the bus if it can be avoided. I'm not suggesting being a dick but merely recognizing the value of your own time and life energy. There's a difference between aggression (passive or otherwise) and self-defense (which I believe I'm advocating).
I'm also in the same boat as C40 in terms of being satisfied with where I am and NOT wanting any new assignments/responsibilities. To rise any higher where I am would effectively put me in a managerial type position which I have no interest in. So I may be speaking from a different perspective.

BPA

Post by BPA »

"For the record, I also agree with (I believe) KevinW who stated that in general, out of common human decency, it's a good idea not to throw other coworkers (including your boss) under the bus if it can be avoided. I'm not suggesting being a dick but merely recognizing the value of your own time and life energy. There's a difference between aggression (passive or otherwise) and self-defense (which I believe I'm advocating).
I'm also in the same boat as C40 in terms of being satisfied with where I am and NOT wanting any new assignments/responsibilities. To rise any higher where I am would effectively put me in a managerial type position which I have no interest in. So I may be speaking from a different perspective."
I completely share this perspective. I've worked long enough on collective bargaining to know that, as someone else pointed out, "being flexible" is often synonymous with being screwed over. And to be willing to be screwed over while giving "101%" and being the first one in and last one to leave, makes any employee a fool, in my opinion.
I have never subscribed to the "keep your head down, your mouth shut, and take whatever crappy working conditions you are dealt" as a smart ER move. I want to enjoy as much of my life as possible, even in my working years.
I suppose it depends on your employer, but I exist in a line of work where if people were to follow all of those suggestions, we'd all suffer.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

One of the most important things I learned from my general education in college (subjective, no right/wrong) is that the perception of you (politics?) is far more important than your work.
Sit near the front, feign interest, ask questions... Sad that this is all that is required to be also perceived as a good employee... But in my experience it is.
I actually am a good employee though, and because of my struggles with Imposter Syndrome I have a hard time logically contributing to this thread! ;)
I usually say yes, no matter how ambitious, but I've learned that most people will forget once they put it off on you... I've also learned that it's ok to ignore those who won't benefit your career, should you want to. And that anything important you will always be reminded of.

CelticTiger

Post by CelticTiger »

On a basic level - you put in what you get out

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

On a basic level - you put in what you get out
There's much wisdom in that sentence.

CelticTiger

Post by CelticTiger »

or is it "you get out what you put in"?

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

Yin and Yang or Yang and Yin? ;-) It's more commonly said "you get out what you put in", but I kinda like how you said it the first time. It changes the focus to your part of the deal.

BW

Post by BW »

"I have really been trying to work on this one recently: "Develop an identity outside of work. You are not your job." It has been far more difficult than I would have thought before actually joining the workforce. How do you achieve this when socialization only occurs with coworkers and family?"
Spartan actually answered this with his bullet point right under the one you were talking about. Finding an identity outside of work should be easy, just use your passions or hobbies to create one. If you need an example Jacob has given quite a few of his own - there's hand tool woodworker Jacob or the more extrinsic competitive rollerblade hockey and sailing Jacobs.

BPA

Post by BPA »

I think that sometimes the "you get out what you put in" philosophy works, but in my line of work nepotism, more specifically the kind where if your dad worked there, you are more likely to get a permanent job than if you are just some hard working person not related to those in upper management, is far more important.
I think that anyone who works in a "you get out what you put in" environment is very fortunate...unless they are super lazy (which I plan to be very soon).

fiby41

Re: How to Be a Better Employee

Post by fiby41 »

Reads like a lot of work. For some points no matter how much too much is never enough.

EricaR

Re: How to Be a Better Employee

Post by EricaR »

In my personal experiences, I've understood that everyone is good employee as long as they accept the management decisions.. Do what they say and go home.. I don't know if every workplace is like that..but my place matches what I say..There is a saying "Love what you do..Not where you work" I think it fits for every employee