Has anyone pursued ERE for ....

Move along, nothing to see here!
djc

Post by djc »

religious/spiritual reasons? This was a major push for me but certainly not the only force driving me to ERE in my early 40's. Just curious I guess.
My observations of the GEN XEers is that many are spiritual but not so many are religious in a traditional sense, though a substantial minority would classify themselves as religious.
djc

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Nope. Not spiritual or religious at all.

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

When I was 19-20 I spent a little over six months considering and investigating living a monastic life. It wasn't because I felt a calling or anything though, but all the time for meditation, reflection and study was appealing to me, and still is. But the dogma, rules, and inflexibility of it all was unappealing.
I decided financial independence was a better way to be able to live how I want with the flexibility to adjust how I live as I grow.

djc

Post by djc »

@mikeBOS,
I was surprised when I spent some time on a retreat (during Holy Week several years ago) in an eremitic hermitage that there was actually very little free time. You were in the church for the monastic offices 6 times a day as well as for mass. I think that could be the reason for the high wash out rate for postulants.
I may be wrong but I perceive most advocates of the ERE lifestyle as being allergic to strict time constraints.....
djc

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I think Maus is the one who comes closest. Otherwise, this is actually the first time this has been brought up as far as I know.
I think part of the reason is that, speaking generally, those who make spiritualism (whether in a religious framework or not) a priority/has that as a world view also tend to think of money/any materialism as evil/rely on synchronicity/think the universe will provide.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Religion is not my primary motivator for seeking an ER life. However, I do think that the ERE principles of anti-consumerism and simple living (from the wiki: "Limiting the way one chooses to live in order to focus time and energy towards a deeper inner calling") are highly complementary to a religious mindset.
"And he said to them, 'Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.'" -- Luke 12:15
Part of my "and then what" inner dialogue absolutely includes thinking of ways to utilize an ERE gift of time (a rare gift these days) to help others in both religious and secular ways.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yes, this is important to me. I do believe that waste is sinful and a devotion to consumerism is a form of idol worship that poisons the soul and can't lead to anything good.
I am influenced in this regard by two aunts of mine who are Sisters of Mercy in Belize -- vows of poverty, the whole nine yards. Still going strong in their late 70s.
Wealth itself is neutral, like a hammer or a saw -- its just a tool. Remember its not money that supposed to be the root of all evil, but the love or worship of money to the exclusion of other values.
Many of the ERE principles would be familiar to Jesuit thinking, especially the idea of developing the whole person (all kinds of skills) as one of life's fundamental objectives.

FarmOne

Post by FarmOne »

I concur with DL and Tyler. The right livelihood is very important to personal development. The typical 9-5 grind leaves very little time to improve yourself or help others...