Observations, Complaints, and Descriptors...

Move along, nothing to see here!
Noob

Post by Noob »

So, I recently get back on FB(yes I know, UGGHH). And people are posting away doing their thing. And another forum I'm on too, I'm also fairly active on. Well, people lately have been posting quotes. I like quotes. Well these quotes are becoming more and more frequent in the same hidden message.
That message being; Keeping poor people happy about being poor. People tell me all the time that they don't know how I do it. I can just up and leave at the drop of a hat, quit my job, and move for whatever reason. I have 3 kids, I've missed most of their lives. But they're young. I'm divorced so it's not like I would have seen much of it anyways except on weekends. Anyways... not to debate that, but just to give a brief synopsis. The point here is these messages I see are so damaging to people's psyche. They all say something along the lines of either how people work too much and you should spend time with your kids, or about being happy with what life throws at you.
SCREW THAT! Yes, not everyone can own a business otherwise who would work in our businesses. I just got into a short debate with someone over this recently because they posted some story about a kid that gives his dad money to pay for an hour of his time. Which incidentally is a rip off of a country song's lyrics. But, people are commenting on how they are so glad they get to spend time with their kids. Now don't get me wrong, I miss my kids, but I'm about 6 months or less from ER. My oldest is 12. I may have missed some really good points in their lives, but while the rest of those schlubs are trying to ask for time off to see their kids recitals, I won't have to ask anyone.
It really just frustrates me that people are okay with being okay. They don't strive for anything. Then they want to make comments about my life. It is not personal preference. It is you refusing or accepting to be a slave to another person for my entire life. It takes some really hard decisions sometimes to get that positive momentum going in life, but once you do it is easy. And these quotes people put out there don't realize that subliminally they are being told.... Don't worry, it's okay to be poor. Don't overachieve because it's bad for your family and you won't see your kids as much. People think.. oh no, I don't want that.
Which do you think is better, teaching your kid to ride a bike, or teaching your kid to not expect anything from anyone and to go take it? My kids are seeing through me that I do not and will not ever expect anything from anyone, and that if I want something in life, I take it. As a type A personality I'm somtimes(no, usually) referred to as an A-hole. I'm okay with that because I'm a successful A-hole. I'm not okay with government subsidies for the poor. People are poor because they do it to themselves. I've seen people from other countries come here(to the USA), work hard and make great livings off of doing menial work. While I've seen Americans work hard at several jobs and never seem to make something of themselves. And also the welfare recipients that think everything should be given to them.
I just wish more people would wake up and stop being okay with being ordinary and go make something of their lives. Is anyone else noticing this trend?

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

No, I don't notice any new trends, but I might suggest that you spend more time reading other things that are more to your liking.
Truth is probably that most people are happy enough with being ordinary and there is absolutely nothing you or I are ever going to say or do to change that. Ambition is likely distributed as a power law. (80-20 rules, etc.)
Here's one of my favorite stories about that -- listen to it and ask yourself if you really want to be chasing birds or "sign up for the class": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ClJlRk3DE
As he says, "Isn't that interesting?"
As far as what is better to teach the kids, its better to ignore false choices and DO BOTH or ALL OF THE ABOVE to the best extent possible, which is never ideal but is usually good enough.
Here's another variation on the theme that I find useful in supervising people and choosing who to spend my time with in general: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFtj5eYnsiQ

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

.Your problem is being on social media in the first place, which is often used by people to push their own egos more than anything else. It's not a healthy environment.
As for the bigger issue about people being okay with okay--well, it kind of makes sense for the majority to revert to the norm, isn't it? And if the norm is working 40-50 hours per week, living a lower middle class lifestyle, and expressing oneself poorly through an advertising juggernaut like Facebook...is it really too surprising that a lot of people are wasting their time with that shit?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I could listen to Rohn all day. I keep this one on my phone to listen to when I feel out of step with everyone else http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdaPVoG2qAE
just walk away :)

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

And if you are collecting quotes from FB, sign up for these:
https://www.facebook.com/jimrohndailyquote?ref=stream

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

It's also worth understanding that for 25-30% of the USA population, achieving a "normal" lifestyle, one that is stable and safe, IS a major accomplishment.

Noob

Post by Noob »

It's not about being on Social Media(because I did say I notice it on other forums), it's not about what I personally choose(which incidentally I did declare that I wasn't going to debate here). This is about Sheeple. When people become complacent and decide that it's okay to just ignore what the majority of society is doing for fear of repurcussions.. now we have a problem. You can think ERE all day long, but if society crumbles around you, you're just as bad for ignoring the problem as those that create it.
We have a large percentage of the population in the US that thinks welfare is a career option. THAT is NOT okay! But to ask anyone you get the same answers as most of you gave me. That I should just turn my back and ignore it. This isn't about being on social media. This is about people that have the chance to make something happen sitting idly by while bad things are happening around them.
I tell my friends and family all the time. I won't loan you money, but I'll help you get a job. And usually they just walk away. They don't want to find jobs. They want handouts. People ask all the time why I give money away, but yet i won't lend them money. it's because the people I "give" money to, are doing something for me. I pay people to do odds and ends for me. I can't even begin to say how many people I've given a hand up, not by giving handouts, but giving them a chance.
But then again.. these are the answers I expected on here.

m741

Post by m741 »

I don't know what forum you're on, but I haven't observed any general change in quotes, or any trend in particular recently.
It might be that the forum you frequent is changing. But it's also possible that your state of mind is changing, and you perceive the quotes differently, or notice different quotes than you did before. You didn't ask, but my perception is that you're angry about something, maybe you should take a step back?
I don't think there's anything wrong with being ordinary. It really depends upon what 'ordinary' is. I think an ordinary life in the US is better than a good life in 80% of the world, and 99% of history. And as George TOO said, there's a lot of people who started in a really bad place, or had some bad events in their lives, and getting to ordinary is a great accomplishment. Think of how many people have been abused, or suffered medical emergency, or have mental problems, or were born blind, or had family trauma. Think about how many car accidents and house fires and disasters happen across the US each day. For all the people involved in these, and the people who love them, ordinary is commendable, and extraordinary is incredible.
I think it's great that you want people to do more with their lives. Now think about some charity you could start, or some community meeting you could set up, that would make them move in a healthier direction. Don't just talk about it on the internet! Either, you get some traction, which is wonderful, or you don't, in which case, you could reasonably disengage having tried your best.

Chad

Post by Chad »

To be honest, your rant sounds like a lot of people in the small town where I grew up. I've been hearing it for 40 years, and it's boring.
Should the social nets be trimmed, adjusted, tightened up, etc.? Sure, but your "type A-personality" rant isn't going to help fix it. It's really just going to turn people off. You can be successful and influencial without over capitalizing the A in type A-personality.

jzt83

Post by jzt83 »

It's human nature. All things that have and will happen, have and will happen. We as individuals (and even larger groups) can only exert a tiny fraction influence upon the greater world. I think of the universe as a massive simulator with certain outcomes that are largely beyond our control. I've learned I just have to adapt and maximize the potential of the environment that I am in no matter how great or horrible the various aspects within it are.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Also, there generally an inherent conflict in the two goals of (1) giving one's views their fullest expression and (2)persuading other people to go along with them. As Franklin, who was as type-A as anyone who ever lived, famously observed and advised:
"My list of virtues contain'd at first but twelve; but a Quaker friend having kindly informed me that I was generally thought proud; that my pride show'd itself frequently in conversation; that I was not content with being in the right when discussing any point, but was overbearing, and rather insolent, of which he convinc'd me by mentioning several instances; I determined endeavouring to cure myself, if I could, of this vice or folly among the rest, and I added Humility to my list, giving an extensive meaning to the word.
I cannot boast of much success in acquiring the reality of this virtue, but I had a good deal with regard to the appearance of it. I made it a rule to forbear all direct contradiction to the sentiments of others, and all positive assertion of my own. I even forbid myself, agreeably to the old laws of our Junto, the use of every word or expression in the language that imported a fix'd opinion, such as certainly, undoubtedly, etc., and I adopted, instead of them, I conceive, I apprehend, or I imagine a thing to be so or so; or it so appears to me at present. When another asserted something that I thought an error, I deny'd myself the pleasure of contradicting him abruptly, and of showing immediately some absurdity in his proposition; and in answering I began by observing that in certain cases or circumstances his opinion would be right, but in the present case there appear'd or seem'd to me some difference, etc. I soon found the advantage of this change in my manner; the conversations I engag'd in went on more pleasantly. The modest way in which I propos'd my opinions procur'd them a readier reception and less contradiction; I had less mortification when I was found to be in the wrong, and I more easily prevail'd with others to give up their mistakes and join with me when I happened to be in the right.
And this mode, which I at first put on with some violence to natural inclination, became at length so easy, and so habitual to me, that perhaps for these fifty years past no one has ever heard a dogmatical expression escape me. And to this habit (after my character of integrity) I think it principally owing that I had early so much weight with my fellow-citizens when I proposed new institutions, or alterations in the old, and so much influence in public councils when I became a member; for I was but a bad speaker, never eloquent, subject to much hesitation in my choice of words, hardly correct in language, and yet I generally carried my points."
Franklin, Benjamin (2012-05-16). The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (pp. 79-80). . Kindle Edition.
From one of my daily quote machines this morning: “Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” -Leo Tolstoy