Simple Meals Cooked in One Pot

Move along, nothing to see here!
tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

Hi everyone,
can you give me any simple recipes to cook in a regular, large pot on my stove?
So far, I have a vegetarian chili that I've done about 4 times. It is good and simple.
Can you give me any other ideas?
Mostly, I'm looking for healthy meals that are simple and can be done in one pot on the stove. Hopefully I can make a big batch and refrigerate or freeze and eat over the course of a week.
I'm open to ideas.....thanks.
I don't mind vegetarian meals, or some with chicken/fish.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Stir fry is nice and easy. You'll need a frying pan of course, or a wok. But you can just through in the meat, then the noodles then the vegetables and it's all done in less than ten minutes. And you can throw in all sorts of spices

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Allrecipes.com advanced search: type=soup, prep<=30min, sorted by rating
Advanced search is really useful, you can add things you have, exclude things you don't (or don't want to eat), veg, low-carb check boxes, etc.

frugaladventurer

Post by frugaladventurer »

here's one I used to make in my student days - potato soup. Very hearty and filling, and cheap!
Saute chopped onion in butter, add water,a bay leaf, salt, black pepper and peeled, quartered Idaho potatoes. Bring to a boil, let simmer until potatoes are soft. Slowly add some powdered milk to the water and mash up the potatoes (leave some bite-sized chunks).
Serve in a bowl with some sharp cheddar cheese and a hunk of some good bread.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Here's one thing I've been making a lot. I do it in a wok, but I don't see why you couldn't in a pot.
1 onion

2 potatoes

4-6 eggs

2 cloves garlic

Thyme

Tony Chacheres

Cumin

Turmeric

Hot sauce

Pepper flakes

Oil
Heat up the oil, saute the onions. While that's happening, dice up the potatoes and garlic. I like fairly large chunks. Once the onions are clear, throw everything else except the eggs in and cover. After a while the potatoes will be done (when they can be pierced easily with a fork), dump the eggs in. Once the eggs are in it's just a matter of stirring until they set. Easily reheated also.

chenda

Post by chenda »

This is another one I use a lot:
Add some oil to the pot or wok, put in small pieces of broccoli and cauliflower, let them cook a bit then add small circles of leak and small pieces of bacon. Sautee it and let it all steam for a while then add some cream cheese and herbs and its ready to go.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Colcannon is one of my cheap, go-to meals. I usually throw a bit of bacon in the bottom of the pan, but it's not necessary. I've never tried freezing it because we always eat it all. Everyone I know who makes it makes it differently.
Boil 1/2 bag potatoes (cubed) for 10 minutes

Add a head of chopped cabbage to the water, boil another 10 minutes

drain cabbage and potatoes, set aside

in the same pot, I add a little bacon, butter, and a chopped onion

cook until the onions are soft

add 1 cup milk, salt, pepper

bring to boil quickly, and then turn off the stove right away

add potatoes and cabbage and smash together
You can make it healthier by adding low fat sour cream instead of milk and eliminating the bacon. I've also added 1/2 can of whole peeled tomatoes when I didn't have any bacon. You can save the water from boiling the potatoes, add some back to the final product, and puree into colcannon soup.
(edited: I cut the recipe in half, but didn't cut every ingredient)

Maus

Post by Maus »

Tortellini in Brodo. Saute 1 lg. shallot and 2 or 3 cloves of garlic in a bit of olive oil. You can add a half pound of ground mild sausage,if you'd like. I also like to add a tsp. of red pepper flakes for some spice. When the shallots and garlic are translucent but not carmelized (no more than 5 minutes), add 2 qts. of chicken broth. You can use store-bought, but homemade is cheaper, and you control the salt. Simmer for an hour, then bring to a boil. Add a lb. of cheese tortellini. These can be dried or fresh. Trader Joe's has them for $2. At the same time, add 10 ozs. of shredded fresh spinach or kale. In 15 minutes, you'll have a bowl of heaven on earth. Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese (the real stuff, not the powder) to make it even more delicious. Bon appetito!

llorona

Post by llorona »

Carrot Soup
1. Chop up a yellow onion, then slice four carrots.

2. Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil or melt 2 tbsp. butter.

3. Add onion, carrots, and 1 tsp. dill seed. Sautee until vegetables are soft and translucent.

4. Add 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, then bring to a boil.

5. Simmer 35-40 minutes.

6. Puree soup using an immersion/handheld blender or regular blender.

7. Season with salt and pepper.

llorona

Post by llorona »

Uncle Jim's Chicken with Rice and Peas
1. Rinse 6 chicken legs or thighs. Pat dry, then season with salt and pepper.

2. Dice one yellow onion and mince 1-2 cloves garlic.

3. Add a little olive oil to pan. Brown chicken pieces, then remove from pan.

4. Add chopped onion and garlic to the same pan. Sautee over medium-low heat until soft and slightly brown.

5. Add 1 cup uncooked rice and stir.

6. Add chicken pieces back into pan, along with one bay leaf.

7. Add 2 1/2 cups chicken broth to the rice and chicken. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes until rice is cooked.

8. Add 2/3 cup frozen peas 3 minutes prior to serving.

9. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

10. Enjoy!

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

@llorona,
this chicken dish sounds easy, filling, and tasty.....Definitely gonna try this one. thanks!