Black Friday/Holiday Deal Thread

Move along, nothing to see here!
jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I know we all avoid holiday overspending, but if you need something this can be a good time to buy it. List any good deals you find.
Tractor Supply Co had some good deals on Carhartt when I looked yesterday.
Magazines (totally unnecessary but they have some good ones for sale--I was able to get 2 years of Outside mag for $8)

http://www.discountmags.com/promos/blac ... livingrich
Lowe's is having a pretty good sale with some DeWalt and Kobolt tool sets. They also have Edsal storage shelves on sale which are good for prepping. I've used the buy online/pick up in store option which would save you a lot of time today.

http://www.lowes.com/Black-Friday-Deals ... o_Shop_All
Amazon has a lightning deal on an xbox 360/kinnect right now for $199 (you have to put it in your cart to see the deal price).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096K ... cwitcou-20
Has anyone see a good deal on a laptop?

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

Sometimes I think its even better to wait till after the holidays.
A lot of times you can get really great deals on stuff people have returned because it wasn't exactly what they wanted...all because the box has been opened.
The big deal this Christmas is the giant TV's....they last about 10 years so probably in six months they will be even cheaper as everyone bought them in December and the manufacturers are desperate to make sales.
Wait till next year....it already takes a pickup or delivery truck to get these giant TV's home...what happens when they reach 100 inch size...take out the front bay window so the crane can get it into the house??? {At least they can't be stolen easily...LOL!}

Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

For those interested, a basic Nook reader is on sale for $59, with accessories half off:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Black-F ... 379003308/
I agree with FrugalZen that waiting till January/February is better; many of the Black Friday deals are designed to unload junk.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Get $125 back for opening an ING direct checking account this weekend, plus some other offers.
https://home.ingdirect.com/blackfriday

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Lexmark S415 Color Inkjet All in One Printer $39.99 w/FS

(amazon has this for $119.99)
http://tinyurl.com/bjhs9qf
------------------
I agree that a lot of things are cheaper after the holidays. I find the best deals on things that aren't considered gift material. I do maintain a list of things I'm considering purchasing so I'll know when I'm getting a great deal. Some things are good deals right now (like the Edsal shelving).

Ego

Post by Ego »

50% off all REI brand outerwear. It is guaranteed for life.
http://www.rei.com/Black-Friday-Deals

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Ack! Run away! Run away!
Sorry, I hate the whole idea of "Black Friday" so much that I have a reflexive urge to shut out anything that mentions it.
To me it represents the collective depravity of our souls. (Or maybe just a waste of time.)
Yes, I know its potentially irrational on an item-by-item basis, but jeez -- I can't imagine camping out or waiting in a long line just to buy shit. Cheap shit is still shit.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'd never go anywhere near a store this weekend, but I'm happy to take advantage of the online deals for things I had already decided to buy.
I was a little shocked yesterday. It's always crazy on Black Friday, but yesterday seemed excessive.

Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

Stahlmann

Re: Black Friday/Holiday Deal Thread

Post by Stahlmann »

Got here by magic query: "black friday site:earlyretirementextreme.com"

I know this mostly holiday for consumers, but I heard some crazy deals and don't want to miss the train. Last years I get to know this occasion too late (mostly in December)... #beingslow

Has anyone bought any durables during Black Friday with crazy price?

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

How about this year BF? :lol:

I'll hijack this topic: has anybody experience with buying on BF low and trying to sell it later? The answer is probably: do this if you know the market :lol: Anyway, this could be nice side gig.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I did Xmas retail arbitrage for a few years. Currently, I don't care enough about money to spend my time dealing in plastic crap, but it was kind of fun in a day at the circus kind of way.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I used to do that kind of thing too, but I don't anymore. I realized I was feeding a beast I wish would starve to death.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I like watching videos of the stampedes and brawls which I heard were found on Osama Bin Laden's desktop which means, I'm not exactly sure but probably something I don't want to think too much about.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I ended up shopping this past weekend. It wasn't crazy at all. I saw some stampedes online but nothing near me and I went to a few places. I can't tell if it's that people aren't as into the black friday thing, are mostly shopping online, or if the economy is worse than advertised. I'd like to think that people have wised up a bit.

I asked the sales person at Best Buy about it. He said there isn't a big 'thing' this year. The hot sellers are TVs and smart things for home (doorbells, cameras, etc). We were one of those that bought a high res TV -- I use it mostly to watch soccer and hockey and I couldn't see the puck anymore with my middle-aged eyes. :lol:

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

jennypenny wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:35 am
-- I use it mostly to watch soccer and hockey and I couldn't see the puck anymore with my middle-aged eyes. :lol:
Remember FoxTrax? I never understood why people hated that so much.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Online sales immediately prior to thanksgiving offered the best prices for my hobby stuff. I am pretty confident they were the lowest of the year.

I ended up with some Kohl's cash and tried to do an in store pick up on Saturday morning. When I got there, after their promised two hour picking window, they were still 70 orders behind. It didn't get filled until about 24 hours later. The store was no busier though. Again here, I had placed my original order that spawned the Kohl's cash a couple days prior to Thanksgiving. The available coupons were as good as their prices get.

I think retailers are in a race to see who can reach your holiday dollars first. Online has reached critical mass and changed the game.

I would never go to a store and wait in a big line for the chance to save a couple hundred bucks. The hourly wage isn't that great and I'd hate the experience. I am happy to follow an email link and get a deal on something I already wanted. I am just laying around enjoying the holiday anyway.

I also think for the most part, lowest possible prices on other things I use, also appear at other times of the year. Maybe I have to buy 6 cans of shaving cream at once, but consumables only go so low.