Suggestions for more forums

Move along, nothing to see here!
JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

LOL!, no I was thinking more goods... Selling tools, books and so on.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Why not sell into the general economy?

Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

ERE, "Projects and Collaboration" squeezes into "Goals and Plans", no problem.

Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

The off-grid threads under Housing are really touching on what I would consider Energy Questions. Do you think it deserves its own forum / top-level topic? I imagine that some Transportation Questions could also share topically with Energy Questions. On the other hand, perhaps it's better to keep energy matters cross-cutting and mentioned within current forum titles, as-is? I'm vacillating on this, but think that Energy is an important enough topic stand-alone to at least get others opinions on the forum structure in this regard.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Everything derives from energy (including food --- maybe there should be a food forum; it's currently in the DIY section). I'd prefer to keep it cross-cutting.
The abstraction level is done at the "use" level rather than at the "source" level. For ERE I find it useful to consider the "verb"-level rather than the "noun"-level. This separates the "doing"-way of thinking from the "product/owning"-way of thinking.

Maus

Post by Maus »

@jacob

I like the verb vs. noun distinction as an analytical approach. Instead of thinking "I need X (object)," e.g. bread machine; thinking "I want to do X (action)", e.g. bake bread, leads to broader range of solutions, some of which won't require spending money.
As a meditation on simplifying my life, I broke my day into all the activities from rising in the morning to retiring in the evening. Then, I considered the absolute minimum requirements to achieve each of those activities on a sustained basis. It was a clear, direct way to grasp how little we actually need to live an abundant life.

Marius

Post by Marius »

It would be nice to have a forum where we can post about global issues like environment, energy, demography, climate, etc.

Fabian

Post by Fabian »

I really dislike the many forums. It's already very cluttered. And aren't we all looking for simplicity?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Fabian - Once I get some "statistics" I will likely consolidate some of the lesser used forums.
Country, Barter, Work, and Lifestyle are on the elimination list.

Fabian

Post by Fabian »

Good to know, jacob. I run a big forum myself. I did it the other way around: I started with a single forum and added slowly new forums that had already lots of topics. I then sorted the threads into the new forums. That way the forum was always clean and uncluttered.

il-besa

Post by il-besa »

Hi Jacob,

what happened to "simple living" forum?

At the moment I don't see a place where to discuss frugal living and ways to save money....

or am I missing it? :)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@il-besa - Put it under lifestyle? ... I think I'll change it to "lifestyle questions"

il-besa

Post by il-besa »

Thanks Jacob!!

But the description for lifestyle is:

"Your experiences from the early retirement lifestyle"
I'm not retired yet, so I'm thinking about a forum to discuss how to get there rather then the lifestyle after.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

@il-besa @Jacob
I had been confused for pre-retired status as well.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

The unofficial policy is rather to post slightly off topic than to make more forums. The forum descriptions are not meant to be restrictive, but to be suggestive.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I have been reconsidering a "Classifieds" forum as suggested above. Maybe it would fit in under meet-ups?

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

sounds cool! maybe we could get a book swap going.

Josh

Post by Josh »

This is not a request for a new forum, but could we add a link to the ERE home page (blog) at the top of the forum page? This would help me navigate between the two.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Upper right. Been there forever :)

Josh

Post by Josh »

Thanks my mind had the buttons backwards --
I thought "home" should take me to the main ERE site, and I was thinking the "blog" link was the forums. Sorry about that and thanks for clearing it up.