Made my own soap...$180 a year saved

Move along, nothing to see here!
FPMLLC

Post by FPMLLC »

My wife said that too, if I can make them more aesthetically pleasing (they are all uneven and chunky) we could make little gift baskets for holidays, vs some gift that will cos us lots more and will most likely sit unused in the gifteds possession until they donate it.

palmera

Post by palmera »

I'm over the mesh pouf + liquid soap. i'm back to bar soap (dove/ivory) and using this really scratchy acrylic washcloth i buy at the local korean store - that washcloth could take off a layer of paint!
Hey @DutchGirl, I apologize if I was offending you. By you being on this board, you aren't really applicable to the average western woman to begin with, these sorts of "sweeping generalizations"* don't really apply to you. Plus you're from a completely different continent, I don't know the shopping and beauty regime habits of the Dutch.
*actually, these sweeping generalizations are backed up by facts here in Canada. the retail cosmetics industry in Canada is a $5.3 billion dollar one, and everyday, the average Canadian woman uses 12 beauty product, many containing alarming amounts of toxins including lead and mercury (thanks for the stats, Health Canada/government!). I use 3 to 6:
1. soap (are these even counted in the stats? who knows)

2. toothpaste (are these even counted in the stats? who knows)

3. witch hazel

4. face sunscreen moisturizer

5. almond oil or coconut oil

6. nail polish (can't give that up...)

7. perfume

8. lipgloss

9. mascara

10.eyeliner

11. eyeshadow (for working at the bar, client meetings, special occasions)
hm wow that's a lot and i consider myself a beauty minimalist! walking the streets of downtown, i feel like most women wear/do a lot more. it's a freaking beauty pageant up in this piece.

indigo

Post by indigo »

I would like to get homemade soap as a gift. I also enjoy getting homemade bath bombs... maybe you could figure these out too. I think you can use muffin tins as molds?
I would use homemade bar soap if I received it as a gift but I don't make it or buy it on my own. Our family uses liquid soap from the BodyShop and I buy it when it goes on sale buy one get one free in the large pump. It lasts a long time and does not irritate my skin like most products.
I've think making your own is more than money. You know what is in it and you made something for your family and maybe to share. I've been having the same debate about canning this week. I've decided to do it. I love looking at the finished jars and giving them away and that I know where the ingredients came from. It is not cheaper than buying though.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

@palmera - I don't use much either! I used to wear mascara and eyeliner every single day because I "needed" it but now I only wear it for special occasions and I try to buy products that are not tested on animals.
To be fair though, studies show that women who wear makeup in the workplace are more successful/make more money. Remember all the hullabaloo when Hilary C showed up one day with no makeup on?
I use baking soda for my hair, bar soap for the bod, liquid face soap for my face, and sunscreen on a daily basis and that is it. Making my own soap is intriguing though... I might try it for myself and give extras away for the holidays!

palmera

Post by palmera »

@LS yeah, to be honest, i don't wear mascara and eyeliner everyday. Maybe like, 2 out of 5 work days :P
I've been conditioning with the coconut oil and doing the "no shampoo" thing for a while, but I don't think it's working out. Because my hair is really, really curly, I'm afraid of using baking soda as shampoo, but heck, I'll try anything once. I've also heard that aloe vera juice is a great hair cleanser and while I haven't checked prices yet, I have this impression that aloe is expensive.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

I forgot to say that I use "natural" Tom's deodorant but maybe I will try baking soda + cornstarch someday when it runs out.
@p - I figured being "Unemployed" and all it was the perfect time to try baking soda as shampoo. What I did was take a water bottle from the $ store (has one of those tops you can push in and out and lets the water come out slowly when you squeeze the bottle) and I added 1T of baking soda to the bottle and filled the rest up with tap water. Shake. I read somewhere it works best if you let it sit for a few days, I couldn't tell much difference though. I use it right away. Apply generously to scalp. There will be no lather but scrub as if there was some, really rub it in to your scalp. Rinse. If you still need conditioner, apparently apple cider vinegar does a good job but I have straight kinda oily hair so I have found I do not need the vinegar. Or you could just do vinegar on the tips of your hair. I haven't really noticed a reduction in the oils my scalp produces yet but the hair looks pretty clean with just the baking soda solution but yet I have more body than before (don't have to blow dry! yeah!) so I can just air dry and go. It also holds curl better when I use a curling iron. 1T of Baking soda lasts me about a week.

palmera

Post by palmera »

@LS. I'm trying this out tonight. Will report back with results.
*giggle* and to think, there are suckers out there paying $10 for shampoo ($30+ if you're in my circle). ;P
yeah for unemployment!!! which reminds me...I need to go bump and old thread of mine...

FPMLLC

Post by FPMLLC »

@palmera. i hear that $30 product..my wife has curly hair and buys tons and tons of product. I am caring about nothing but ER and FI as every day goes by...I want out of this rat race and just play in my garage all day tinkering with misc projects!

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Unemployment is when I plan to see how I look with a buzz cut.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

@p - standing by! the amount of baking soda is adjustable so if 1T is too dry, add more H20, or add more baking soda if you feel it didn't really do anything for ya. I forgot to say that I add it first thing in the shower and rinse it off last so it gets a couple min to "sit" in there and do its thang.

EU_US

Post by EU_US »

I like the fact your soap is natural, but in my area I can buy from the so-called doallr stores, 4 bars of soap for $1 or $2 and liquid soap for $1 for large bottle.