The "life is too short" argument

Move along, nothing to see here!
GandK

Post by GandK »

Ha! G and I were debating the kind of life we want in retirement the other day, and forayed into the homesteader/nomad debate again... seems like we were having the "life is too short" debate there too. I want to homestead and dig into a community and form deep relationships because I think life is too short to spend it skating from one surface experience and surface relationship to the next. DH wants to hit the road because he thinks life is too short not to experience as much of the planet as possible with his 5 senses before he dies. What to do... :-)

altoid

Post by altoid »

For me, "life is too short" is why I joined ERE. Have heard stories about people who barely enjoyed any retirement before passing. Or even retire at 65, with some health issues, it is hard to do and appreciate what one would have wanted once she/he is still young.
God gives all of us a not same but all fixed amount of time, and what to do with it depends on personal preference..

george

Post by george »

@jenny penny
Sorry to hear you're going through a bad time
All i know is life is about experiences, with family, or on your own. when you are really experiencing your 5 senses and are in touch with your breathing, You are really living. You don't need money for that. And to me the particular activity isn't important so long as we are all in the moment.
I met a woman who had retired and spent her savings on an international trip. It had been her dream during her working life and she was so disappointed by it. She made me really think about what people are really expecting from that bucket list.
Personally I don't understand them. Many of the same experiences can be achieved now, not in the future and in a more achievable way.
I keep quiet about money etc, but people know I live a simple life and I get the cliches, can't take it with you etc. I know people see the choices I make and wonder how I'm able to do it, thats when some of them get it.
I do wonder if that person will come back to you when they've had a chance to consider the topic, I hope so.

ToFI

Post by ToFI »

Many people learn the wrong lesson from other people,s mistake. I dont see a direct correlation between spending money now and avoid early death. The obvious lesson is to avoid early death by sensible actions like avoiding Aids,risky sport,racing car,train,do eat healthy food and exercise.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Lots of excellent comments placed above. I view life in about ten year increments, meaning I prefer to begin in the 40's at birth, and think through the 50's, 60's and so on. I find this gives me a good measure of what life has been, based on my possibilities and resources and of course "requirements" in each decade. We experience in each increment, our wishes and desires, our requirements, our goals, and then we must swim against the trials and tribulations we all face. Life as we live it can harden us against failure, and against those who would attack our values. Cancers and heart attacks as well as other unbeknownst terrors can destroy our lives, while others, our age or younger, can ride on untouched. This makes many people search for fairness in life, of which there is none.

Turning 65 (milestone) and now 67 (hummm) makes you think of one thing: "How much more is there?" and worse---"What will it be like"? This is the elderly citizen ho-hum drill.

Well, some of you who have read my older posts know my old axiom of "LABTYD" or "life's a bitch and then you die". Well that is only an old joke, and just something to say. My latest saying is "Life would be a real bitch if it wasn't so damn much fun!!!!"

Enjoy every minute you have. Yesterday's gone, tomorrow is not promised, today may be the last one you have.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

HSpencer, I agree, this is a great thread. It made me realize that having new experiences slows down the perception of passing time.
University was only four years, but seemed like (an enjoyable) decade. Four years of corporate work barely registers a memory.