New Escapologist

Move along, nothing to see here!
wringham

Post by wringham »

This is a total plug. What a disgrace. But I know some readers of this forum enjoy the New Escapologist blog, so I'm going to deceive myself into thinking of this post as informative and helpful.
If anyone is interested, we're now able to offer a 10% discount on orders of the complete back catalogue of our printed magazine. (That's six issues - 467 pages in total).
For those who've not heard of us before:
New Escapologist is a magazine for white-collar functionaries with escape on the brain.
Drawing from philosophy, literature and original humour; we discuss practical escape routes from the present-day predicaments of demeaning work, status anxiety and urban lethargy.
Each issue is a compendium of funny and practical essays on the subject of escape. We promote freedom, anarchy and the absurd.

Issue 5 features an article by ERE's Jacob himself. Other issues feature people like Alain de Botton and Leo Babauta.
Now that orders come direct from Lulu.com, the shipping fees to American readers are more reasonable than they used to be when shipped from Britain.
You can also subscribe to our blog RSS for free. Adorable.

palmera

Post by palmera »

I'm a big fan of NE. I love their bohemian-yet-bourgeois-arty-dandy tone and aesthetic. I keep meaning to buy back issues.
Plugs are welcome if they're good ones (like this)!

Mo

Post by Mo »

Lame.
How many other commercials do you see on here?
Anybody want me to start advertising in the forums?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I consider pretty much anything I've written for or anything similar to that to be Kosher. If it could be on my blogroll, it could be here.

wringham

Post by wringham »

Thanks for the kind comment, Palmera. And for the support, Jacob. It's appreciated. Enjoyed your new blog entry!

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

I'm stI'll trying to figure out what's adorable about the rss feed...

anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

@dragoncar: I get the feed and concur that it is adorable, but can't identify exactly what, qualitatively, makes it so. That said, subscriptions are antithesis to the spirit of ERE, right? ;)

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

I don't know how much a subscription costs, but if it keeps you motivated, it may be worth it. That's what I use this site for, though.

Maus

Post by Maus »

I don't know that "adorable" is the word I would choose, but those blokes over there are often using such plummy words to describe this or that. The reason I really like the aesthetics of New Escapologist is the demonstrated attention to typography. The layout and font choices are superb. And the content is quite good as well, drawing from some very thoughtful writers of an unconventual frame of mind.

rcamp

Post by rcamp »

So, ok: point me to a version I can place on my kindle/ereader/iPad/phone. The dead tree version, even if it was free wouldnt make it across my threshold here....
All I could see was how to buy it in print. It's 2012 ya know ?
.. Or do I need to send you a wax sealed letter to make my point ? /irony - sine we're all reading and posting to a electronic forum....

wringham

Post by wringham »

@Maus - thanks for the support. Glowing praise!
@rcamp - The eBook thing is a fair question. We've resisted an eBook version for much the same reason Jacob did. It also goes slightly against some of the ethics we promote in the magazine including a distrust of portable gimcracks.
It's also personal. New Escapologist is a labour of love and doesn't really make money. Print production is my ERE-compatible free hobby but I don't have much interest in eBooks.
I'm probably shooting myself in the foot financially, I know. People keep asking for an eBook version. I'm not totally immune to peer pressure or consumer demand, so you might see New Escapologist on your screeny thing one day.
In the meantime, the companion blog is both digital and free.

pooablo

Post by pooablo »

Just got the last 6 issues of the New Escapologist in the mail this week. The articles are fantastic and I've ploughed through the first 5 issues already. Only one more to go!

Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

A recent post just struck home:

http://newescapologist.co.uk/2012/05/09/350000-quid/
I cringe when I see people take their life's savings and spend it on some labor intensive business idea, like a vineyard (huh?), a restaurant (are you kidding??) or here, a bed and breakfast.
The post concludes with a delightful thought:

"I’d just curb my consumer desires, retire at once, and spend the money slowly on top-notch cakes for the next fifty years."
Fifty years of cakes--bless you Mr. Wringham!

wringham

Post by wringham »

Further to the above, we've finally given in and launched a PDF version of the New Escapologist magazine for all those post-materialist minimalists and shipping-fee haters out there.
All 467 pages of New Escapologist's back-catalogue for £27 ($40) on beautifully typeset PDF: http://newescapologist.co.uk/shop/complete-pdf/
You can buy single issues on PDF from the shop too. They are all a quid cheaper than their print counterparts. http://newescapologist.co.uk/shop/
(Thanks for the nice comments, @Hoplite and @Pooablo.)

wringham

Post by wringham »

Another update on what's available in the land of New Escapologist.
Issue 8 just came out (in both print and PDF). Among other things, it features an interview with Luke Rhinehart, writer of The Dice Man. Probably our best issue to date.
Issue 3 is available on PDF for just £3 (~$4.74) for a limited time only.
And all issues (including Issue 8) are available in a PDF bundle for £37 ($59). All 661 finely typeset pages!
FYI, Jacob's work appears in Issue 5.
As ever, the blog remains frequently updated and free. (Follow by RSS here).

m741

Post by m741 »

I'm interested in the full set of PDFs but they're not $47, they're $59. Too pricey for me.
Also per the link, it's issues 1-7. So both the price and content are inaccurate.

wringham

Post by wringham »

@m741, you are quite correct. I've now fixed both mistakes. Thanks.

m741

Post by m741 »

Wringham and I worked out a deal, so I'm now the proud owner of a complete New Escapologist set. Lots of reading material. Good service.

wringham

Post by wringham »

And it was a pleasure doing business with you, @m741!
If anyone would like to sample a single issue, I point you again at our time-limited offer to buy Issue 3 on PDF for just £3 (~$4.74).