Why do people still buy cds, dvds?

Move along, nothing to see here!
webberchoked

Post by webberchoked »

so i had to go to the mall and it blows my mind how many people were buying music and movies in the store.
why do people do this? is it because they are super moral and ethical? or is it because theyre too dumb to know that you can download everything and anything online quicker than it takes you to drive to the mall to buy said movie/music.
maybe im a really bad person, but i havent bought any music or movies in over 10 years. to be fair i listen to dj mixes who put their music online for free anyway, but for movies, well yeh i steal the shit out of them but that doesnt necessarily mean i would have bought the movie if i couldnt find it for free. most stuff i enjoy are documentaries which id never have been able to see unless i downloaded them.
i cant help but think how much money the average person blows on buying this stuff

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

I have a niche segment of DVDs I like and prefer having them on DVD...not do say I don't do my best to get them Super Cheap even used.
Same goes for CDs.
I see them as the physical "books" of non-literary entertainment.
I also feel that when you buy information or entertainment and store it in a non-physical manner...like a computer, iPod, or Kindle like flash drive.... you risk losing everything at the short out of a battery. (yes I could lose all the Cds, dvds, books, etc in a physical disaster like a fire or flood)
If you lose it you have to re-purchase it thus spending money twice.
And has anyone forgotten Amazons little shenanigan a couple of years ago when a book sold and uploaded to the Kindle (Animal Farm if I recall) was unceremoniously wiped without notice from everyones device?? I don't want to give someone that ability via a computer connection (hackers anyone??)
Apple does this all the time. As I understand it the iPod is not that intelligent...when you go to the iTunes store and buy a song they have a record of all the songs you have purchased and ALL of them are reloaded on your iPod in the proper alphabetical order (iPod itself is not intelligent enough to do that by itself) and in the process deletes any other music you may have put on the iPod via other shareware programs....
Big Music and Apples way of making you pay for a song multiple times...just cuz you bougth the CD doesn't give you the rite to put it on your iPod...they want you to buy it twice.

m741

Post by m741 »

For music, if you want to stay legal there are plenty of sources online: Internet Archive has a lot of public domain and live shows, Pandora has free stuff,and Amazon has CDs go on sale for $5... which usually works out to 30 cents/track, and it's an non-DRM MP3 file.
For movies, I have Amazon Prime (equivalent selection to Netflix streaming), and then bittorrent. 1-2 action movies a year I'll watch in theater because they're fun on the big screen (no popcorn of course).
There are 10-20 DVDs which I would like to own. You couldn't pay me to keep a CD. I'd just rip it and donate it, the CD itself is pure clutter.

ToFI

Post by ToFI »

You can compare buying CD/DVD to renting CD/DVD but not to download from pirate website. Yes, it's unethical to download CD/DVD that you would have purchased. It's called stealing.If enough people downloading product online without paying then no one will produce these products anymore. It destroy an industry. One example is video game piracy in China, now their single PC game industry is dead because they can't make money. Now all the games are online games. People have to pay.
I think people buying physical CD/DVD as collections.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Yes, I'm that ethical. I'll buy used if I can find it that way, then from the discount rack.
Also, MP3 is not a quality recording.

webberchoked

Post by webberchoked »

well it seems im just a bad person then.
losing e-music and e-movies for me isnt an issue whatsoever because i can simply download that file back within an hour.
on the flipside of illegally downloading this stuff, ive found numerous musicians, moviemakers, actors whose stuff i wouldnt have ever watched if it wasnt free. i guess they need to figure out a way to make me pay for it.

george

Post by george »

In my country they've figured out a way to make you pay for illegally downloading it, instant fines, $25 each time.

webberchoked

Post by webberchoked »

george interesting. tell me more about how it works.

paxprobellum

Post by paxprobellum »

If you don't pay for your books/music/movies/computer programs, then they will either:
a) Charge paying customers more

b) Stop producing their goods

c) Both
If you like it, buy it. The problem with the internet is that folks seriously believe that "steal/pirate it" is a legitimate alternative to buying something. The alternative is not buying it.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

d) Turn everything into advertising for other goods.
Also see
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/gresh ... model.html

webberchoked

Post by webberchoked »

@ pax, i dont believe that to be true. more people are stealing music than ever in its entire history, music is cheaper to buy than it has ever been and there is more variety of music than there has ever been, contradicting all your points.
all my favourite djs have weekly internet radio shows where they give all theirs and their fellow artists music away for free, they happily encourage people to download their music. sure its in mixed form but its basically their album tracks mixed into a radio show.
ive recently bought a kindle because i realised that you can download any book for free.
i actually find it funny when they have the anti-piracy ads, where they say you wouldnt steal this or you wouldnt steal that. well yeah actually i would if i could click a button and have 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of getting caught.

Chad

Post by Chad »

"maybe im a really bad person"
Yes, it appears you are.

tmp

Post by tmp »

It's been years since I bought any CDs or DVDs.
I've ripped my CD/DVD collection and I'm now getting rid of it by: 1. selling 2. giving 3. throwing.
Getting rid of unused stuff is a wonderful journey.

paxprobellum

Post by paxprobellum »

@webberchoked
i dont believe that to be true.
You are simply mistaken. I can't help you.
http://mason.gmu.edu/~sdiehl/chart3.jpg , e.g.

paxprobellum

Post by paxprobellum »

@Jacob
I do think that there are better ways of providing compensation to content creators than simply "$X to enjoy my music/book/game". However, that burden is placed on the creator of the content, not the consumer. If the consumer doesn't like the method of remuneration, then they simply choose to decline to purchase. Stealing isn't "another option" for getting the content.
(Well it is, but it shouldn't be. I don't understand how this is unclear...)

Chris

Post by Chris »

they say you wouldnt steal this or you wouldnt steal that. well yeah actually i would if i could click a button and have 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of getting caught.
Maybe you should steal yourself a new keyboard; it appears your zero key is broken.

S

Post by S »

I honestly don't think I've ever bought a DVD in my life. Movies aren't really my thing though. We had a Netflix subscription for a while, but didn't use it much. I listen to music mostly on Spotify and Pandora for free, though the ads are kind of irritating. The downside is I had almost no music to listen to when I was stuck on satellite internet for 2 months.

webberchoked

Post by webberchoked »

@webberchoked
i dont believe that to be true.
You are simply mistaken. I can't help you.
http://mason.gmu.edu/~sdiehl/chart3.jpg , e.g.
dont see how that proves anything.
can you tell me how they calculate revenue loss?
if i download 1 album or movie 1000x@$30 does that mean they lost $30k? because i download and delete the same movie and files tons of times when i want to rewatch something i havent watched in a while. i certainly wouldnt have bought that movie 10x.
while they might be losing some money its obvious that the industries fudge the numbers, and for people like me who wouldnt be buying any of that stuff anyway they are losing nothing.

clarkai

Post by clarkai »

I don't buy cds or dvds. I also don't pirate stuff. I don't care enough about music or movies to want to spend money or much time on them. When I get the desire to listen to music (maybe twice per year), I use pandora. I watch movies occasionally with my housemates, who have netflix.

ToFI

Post by ToFI »

If you try to stop download stuff illegally and really want their stuffs, you 'll buy them more or less.
I used to download all stuffs online and never paid a cent. In retrospect, because I can download anything I want, the desire of wanting more stuff never satisfied. I kept looking for more stuff to download online. One day I made the change and stop doing it. It's a relief of that never ending desire of having more.

Now I buy software, watch movies in theater few times every 2~3 years. I only buy them because I really want or need them. It's not lot of money to them and doesn't cost me much. If I don't buy anything intangible,it's their loss nonetheless.