Just visited the home of a dude w/$300 million net worth.

Move along, nothing to see here!
palmera

Post by palmera »

My friend is a nanny there.
They are re-decorating their mansion.
I'm speechless...as in, $1.5 million dollar television budget speechless.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Did they have a gift-wrapping room? 8-)

Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

Did they have a gift-wrapping room? 8-)
A gift-wrapping room? What a quaint bourgeois idea! Wealthy people don't wrap gifts, they hire Christo to wrap the neighborhood :)

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Nice, $9 million/yr ERE income @3% if it's all invested...

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yeesh, how obnoxious.

C40

Post by C40 »

If you have 300 million, why not?
Well... $1.5 million on TVs is probably ridiculous no matter how much money you have. And if you only have 300 million, it's a very big chunk of that. They must really like watching TV.

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

I agree.
$1.5 million TV budget? How is that even possible? I'm not saying I'd be going without anything with that much money, but that's just ridiculous. I really don't understand how that's possible. Are they coated in gold and diamonds?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Neighbors spent $50K on a tv/av system for their new poolhouse. It only has *one* tv, and they were already complaining that it was too small. I'm sure a large house with several tv/av systems could easily top a million.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

I visited a $10 million house that was decorated 20 years prior. It looked dated and tacky to me, not desirable at all.
The free scenery outside the home was gorgeous. :-)

palmera

Post by palmera »

Jennypenny: wow so it IS possible to spend THAT on TVs. $50k on ONE system for the poolhouse.
The world is crazy, I tell ya.
But you know, props to this richie rich family because they started with nothing and in 1 generation built an empire (or something to that effect).

elai

Post by elai »

Seriously?? The top top top huge TVs top out at around 20k. If I wanted really huge I would just go for a quality 1080p projector. It's the biggest you'll get. At those budgets it's starting to reach theatre setups.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

But how much does it take to set up a bonafide iMax theater?

Their system is probably somewhere between a 13" CRT and that.
When I was looking at houses in Oregon I saw a listing for a mansion (that looked like 10 houses glued together in a somewhat bizarre fashion) which had an INDOOR shooting range.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

So $1.5 million just happens to be the cost of an IMAX installation (the "mini" version that's still huge, not the biggest size)
Maybe that's what they installed, but that's more than a tv budget - tv has nowhere near the resolution for this setup to make sense. I wonder how much it costs to buy IMAX content for viewing!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Haven't you guys ever watched MTV Cribs? I'm telling you, you can spend 1.5 million without the imax setup. It's not that hard if you factor in theater lighting and sound in several rooms, the motorized cabinets to hide the TVs out of sight when not in use, total surround sound, wiring up remotes (like security boxes) all through the house, etc. You can have TVs mounted in the wall (or the ceiling for bedrooms--no kidding) that play other scenes as well.
I'd rather have the imax setup with the dome, but only if I could also put in a planetarium projector.

ICouldBeTheWalrus

Post by ICouldBeTheWalrus »

I have not in fact ever watched MTV Cribs. I suspect I'm not alone on these forums. :)

C40

Post by C40 »

For $1.5 million you could hire a full time Jester for the rest of your life. Or maybe 3 or 4 of them. :-)

MySavingStyle

Post by MySavingStyle »

I'm curious, do you know what did they do to earn their money?

palmera

Post by palmera »

A fulltime Jester...AWESOME idea. Along those lines, I'd love a 4 piece string quartet to play at dinner every evening, just like being in a restaurant B)
@MySavingStyle - software.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

By the way, it's my impression that most empires are built in a generation. By the third generation, only 15% of the businesses still exist (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/1 ... 07291.html)

palmera

Post by palmera »

@dragoncar excellent point, particularly when it comes to family businesses that generate 6 to 8 figure revenues/profits (i.e. smaller businesses). Example, my grandfather built a successful business, which he then turned over to his 3 sons (and not my mom...). The sons, in turn, embezzled and pretty much ran the company into the ground.
The super-duper wealthy *seem* to squabble less, maybe because the pie is so much bigger and they're kept at arms length of the company (if it's public) anyway (think P&G). Though there are some families where things are apparently tense (Hermes, French company that makes $500 scarves).