My 2020 travels per google

Move along, nothing to see here!
Freedom_2018

My 2020 travels per google

Post by Freedom_2018 »

My partner apparently had not turned off tracking on their phone, so got this update from Google on our 2020 travels:

Countries : 8 (5 new) (foreign travel prior to March)
Cities : 149 (125 new)
Places : 483 (457 new)...not sure what Google considers a 'place' but have travelled from Tennessee to California and points in between.

Covid status so far : negative (tested).

Out of 12 months, housesits were for 5 months, hotels for 7 months (have not used AirBnB ever since I can never seem to find places that I want, where I want, in the price range I want).

Really glad that we returned to US before borders closed where we have means (car) and some flexibility. Would have hated to quarantine in an apartment in Spain/Portugal etc that clamped down pretty hard. Not that their Covid numbers are showing the impact - Portugal again went into severe lockdown till mid Feb.

One of the plusses of wearing masks and being diligent about washing/cleaning surfaces plus Vit D, Zinc, B complex multivitamin etc is that haven't had even a sniffle in a year (some expensive pee though🙂)...not sure what it means for long term immunity if the system doesn't get occasional practice.

Hopefully once I get the jab (not in a super hurry...will let others go first for a bit and observe) will hopefully be gone for the better part of a year or two.

Freedom_2018

Re: My 2020 travels per google

Post by Freedom_2018 »

Walking 8-10 miles per day is quite admirable. I don't think I ever did any such thing over a sustained period except for the Camino Frances some years ago and that was only for a month and a half.

I just wanted to put my stats out there because sometimes on browsing the forums, I get a picture of the world that seems to be quite different from my experience. I wonder if that is because presumably most forumites live in urban areas and spend significant time on-line.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Freedom_2018 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
I get a picture of the world that seems to be quite different from my experience. I wonder if that is because presumably most forumites live in urban areas and spend significant time on-line.
Yes! This is one of the reasons we feel the need to alternate between the two.

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

Ego wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:18 pm
Yes! This is one of the reasons we feel the need to alternate between the two.
Have to say that in my unscientific observations and opinion, Covid is as much a disease of the body as of the mind.

It has also exposed to varying degrees how 'human' we truly are (primal fears, anxieties, belligerence, greed, finding safety and approval in the herd, closing ranks) and how much we pretend to have evolved into rational beings (sometimes seems more like rationalizing beings 🙂)

In addition to personal finance, I wish there were more courses in school that helped us understand our own minds/psychology and that of others around us.