What would you do if you had $3,000,000?

Move along, nothing to see here!
Sclass

Re: What would you do if you had $3,000,000

Post by Sclass »

I was trying to think out loud here without really thinking this through.

If you have a positive outcome your desires may have changed in the meantime. Especially if it’s a long journey.

Sadly the best way I can describe how I feel is the last ten seconds of the Robert Redford film Downhill Racer. The ending is strange. But it has gained meaning in my life long after I saw the movie. It’s an abrupt ending to a single minded pursuit resulting in momentary confusion. The combination of Redford and the cinematography really brings it home.

ertyu

Re: What would you do if you had $3,000,000?

Post by ertyu »

in retrospect, probably what i would do is go somewhere i can get therapy.

tsch

Post by tsch »

ertyu wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:31 am
in retrospect, probably what i would do is go somewhere i can get therapy.
That seems very wise.

I'd take 10% of the $3,000,000 to buy and develop a property in a small town or edge of a city, within a long-walk distance to the Pacific Ocean, with the idea of having it be a permaculture demonstration site to share with the community and try to build more momentum with that. And help fund a makerspace/tool library within walking distance.

Then I think firewall the rest of it away for some set period of time (a year? two?) and get back into therapy. See how things develop.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Man $3m...would quit my 9-5 job in an instant. This is far more money then I am planning for. 3% SWR would be $90k a year or $7.5k a month. My Lord. I would not have to have my withdrawal match inflation either - the margin of safety would be ridiculous for us. Even a 50%+ drop in the market and we're still good. I would have half in stock/REITs, a Vanguard total world fund, and maybe a bit in a commodity like silver just to diversify a bit more. I don't think I would even bother with active investing at this point; just re-balance occasionally.

I can't answer this question outside of just how I would manage the funds. The question I feel now is that $3m is beyond just us surviving - surely at this net-worth we can start contributing to society in ways we may find meaningful. Or not could just go the pleasure for life route in the short-term....likely a mix of both. Don't know how to go in detail on these because its not something I ever think deeply about - if a bunch of money just fell in my lap.

One thing I know for sure is I would not go blowing funds. Just not in my personality type; my Spouse would not either but she would be lobbying to live in a nice place with a nice house with things that look nice for visitors. I think its better to always be stealth wealth - continue to live in a blue-collar neighborhood and wear jeans and forget to cut my grass occasionally.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

This question makes me appreciate the timeless wisdom of Office Space. :)

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Lot of wisdom in that clip.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

That clip was beautiful. Thanks Tyler for sharing.