Traveling to Mexico City

Move along, nothing to see here!
FRx

Re: Traveling to Mexico City

Post by FRx »

The alternatives for us are to stay here in Orange County, CA which is an expensive place to live and we don't really have anything other than Airbnb options - unless we get something long-term. Or we can both go back to Portland, Oregon since we have a place there.

She's from LA and I'm from Portland and I don't like LA particularly much and she misses her family and the occasional shifts she does at a clinic is located in LA.

Mexico City was an idea based on possibly common interests and I am not familiar enough with the rest of Mexico to choose a different city but open to it if anyone has suggestions.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I suggest looking into Oaxaca or anywhere in the Yucatán Peninsula.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

I've been to Mexico City a couple times and loved it, but wouldn't recommend that as an option during a pandemic. It is one of the largest cities in the world, and would kind of be like going to New York City right now.

I'd second the recommendation for Oaxaca as a good option. Nice sized city with great art and culture, as well as access to nature. San Miguel De Allende is another option along similar lines. Merida has been on my list of cities to visit for a while (in the Yucatan Peninsula). All three of those would likely have great internet connection and lots of cheap housing options due to limited tourism.

If it was up to me, I'd probably select a city near the beach so there are options to get outside with some social distancing. I've heard Playa Del Carmen recommended for digital nomads. I've been to Puerto Escondido (in the province of Oaxaca) and that is a decent sized city that should have good internet. It also has excellent surfing. Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan are decent sized cities with direct airport access to the US that would have good internet. There are some really nice, small beach towns down the coast from Mazatlan/Puerto Vallarta and from Puerto Escondido. The internet might be a bit shaky but I remember meeting a few people working remotely almost a decade ago - so it is probably better now.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

i'd hunker down for free in portlandia while the pandemic lasts and you get your vaccines

what's the big hurry?

Ego

Post by Ego »

FRx wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:26 pm
Mexico City was an idea based on possibly common interests and I am not familiar enough with the rest of Mexico to choose a different city but open to it if anyone has suggestions.
What are the common interests? Most cultural stuff is closed or canceled.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

DF = CDMX

Another vote for Oaxaca. Instead of San Miguel de Allende look into Guanajuato. Very cool town with second largest university in Mexico. SMA has many retirees. Guanajuato has tons of young people.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

¡y momias! :lol:

Western Red Cedar

@RP - I've never been to Guanajuato but will add it to my list. I just realized I've never been to SMA, I meant to type San Cristobal De Las Casas.

I agree with Ego that identifying common interests, timelines, etc. would be helpful for OP.

nomadscientist

Post by nomadscientist »

I have found travelling during covid to be a joy. Not many people around in some places. Those who are around, generally more interesting than the usual. Other places are basically normal, which at least can't be seen as a disadvantage. It's hard to predict what a place will be like until you just show up somewhere. It certainly doesn't reflect statistics about the disease spread in any reliable way. Generally I have found that the pandemic exists less away from areas of USG influence. That's the #1 factor. For instance, the Navajo nation is the most heavily locked down place in the US, because it is directly administered by the Federal Government. Third world countries will likely be much freer than most populated parts of the US, as are immigrant districts of major Western cities (the racial disparity in deaths is because non-whites/east asians generally don't care - that's also makes it our best proxy for how much effect the policies have by the way).

I havent found covid to be viscerally noticeable anywhere. Like, people dead on the streets or services not working for reasons other than forced government shutdown. Even hospitals have been totally normal.

That's all assuming you are willing to accept covid risk personally. Should you be? If you're under 50, statistically it's hard to justify worrying about covid relative to other risks you accept when travelling. Over 50, it starts to depend on the specifics of how you are doing things. I would be wary about getting on a plane.

My policy is to follow all the explicit rules, but read them carefully before deciding something isn't allowed. Most places they're sieves designed to allowed the attentive and connected do what they like while the peons hide in their houses.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

nomadscientist wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:25 pm
For instance, the Navajo nation is the most heavily locked down place in the US, because it is directly administered by the Federal Government.
lolwut. they have their own government.

https://www.navajo-nsn.gov/

huge chunk of my state is theirs.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Western Red Cedar wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:46 pm
San Cristobal De Las Casas
San Cristobal de las casas is a 100% hippie town. If that is your preferred vibe you will love it. If not, it is not that special. And it is COLD. High altitude. And extremely contaminated water. Only place ever where I got sick and came home with a parasite in my GI system. The indigenous villages surrounding san cristobal are very interesting.

FRx

Post by FRx »

We ended up cancelling the trip. Over the past few days everything shut down in Mexico City as others mentioned on here. Apparently cafes and restaurants and rock climbing gyms all shut down.
We're in Orange County, CA for now and it's interesting that places are still open here, so that might be our best place to stay for now.

FRx

Post by FRx »

Update - we are in Mexico City. It's an interesting city and first time for me to be this far south in Mexico. We're off to Oaxaca next as suggested. The goal is to work remotely and maybe do some volunteer clinical work. Neither of us has any connections to work here as medical volunteers but I'm sure we'll find something.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

That's great! Please keep us posted on your adventures.

Western Red Cedar

FRx wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:35 pm
Update - we are in Mexico City. It's an interesting city and first time for me to be this far south in Mexico. We're off to Oaxaca next as suggested. The goal is to work remotely and maybe do some volunteer clinical work.
Glad to hear you made the leap. Looking forward to future updates. I'd love to hear about any cities or locations that are affordable and engaging on your journey. Guatemala is also amazing and highly recommended if you want to continue moving south.

FRx

Post by FRx »

My partner has been to Guatemala and enjoyed it. She said it was quite affordable but I'm not sure she felt like she could integrate into the society as easily. Mexico City was a rather happening city, a bit city feel and the pollution was quite noticeable.
Oaxaca has a smaller town feel but it's our first day here. The food is unbelievably cheap when you dine at the local spots. Food for 4 cost us 200 pesos or 10 dollars.

Western Red Cedar

I came across this article while doing some research yesterday on destinations in Mexico. Posting it here in case others are looking at extended travel or living abroad in Mexico.

https://www.transitionsabroad.com/listi ... -how.shtml

FRx

Post by FRx »

Thank you for the link above. I've only been in Oaxaca now for 2 weeks and just a couple of days in Mexico City. I would say that it's a great place to learn Spanish. It was much tougher for me to learn Spanish in Spain.
We decided to stay here for a few more months and then we'll head back to Spain. Plenty of people working remotely here and very friendly people. Rent is cheap and food is absurdly cheap. I asked the lady at the fruit stand which of her items are local and she pointed to all the other vendors and said you won't find anything that's not local here. I like that, I enjoy the fact that I support local economy.
We haven't had any trouble finding nice places for around $900/month on Airbnb. But an unfurnished place here can be found for around $400/month.