Paying for housecleaning, how much is customary.

Move along, nothing to see here!
IlliniDave

Paying for housecleaning, how much is customary.

Post by IlliniDave »

An acquaintance does some housecleaning on the side to make ends meet, and I decided it would be cool to hire out my spring cleaning this year to avoid the dust allergy blues. Problem is she won't just tell me how much she charges, says stuff like, "Whatever you want to pay me is fine." I've never hired housekeeping services so have no idea what is reasonably/customary.

Anyone have experience on either end (performing or hiring) that you'd share. I don't want to pay too much nor too little. My house isn't messy, but it hasn't had a good cleaning since early fall. My first thought was something per hour, but again, I don't know what's usual.

ertyu

Re: Paying for housecleaning, how much is customary.

Post by ertyu »

that would really depend on area, size of house, messiness, etc. It is really strange that she is not naming a price. is she angling for a favor in return?? though i struggle to imagine what she wishes you to offer

what does she say when you say exactly this --> hey, i have never done that before and i don't know how much is customary or appropriate for a house of this size. i'd much rather you told me what you charge and i'll pay that.

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

I've usually paid around $30/person/hour. We get our house deep cleaned about once a year. Usually takes three cleaners four hours for 1000 sq ft 2 bed/1 bath, so ~$300-400 each time. Similarly, I've been quoted more routine monthly cleaning for $100/month (two people for an hour and a half). Labor is expensive here though, so may not reflect cost where you are. Typically you can find people on Nextdoor talking about rates in your area.

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

I would pay something that is similar to what it would cost if I went through a business. Consequently, find a house cleaning service through yelp (or the yellow pages, etc) and ask them their prices. Then offer that to your acquaintance. You want something that is fair and reasonable and does not take advantage of your relationship.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Personally, I have ended up paying too much with the pay-what-you-want situation and lost a friend. It was to a friend’s son while we were in Ireland for several weeks. He watered our lawn and plants and cut the grass. It was his first job at a 15 year old. He’d been struggling to find a summer job, and Captain Control had let my work friend go. I figured that they needed the money more than us. So I paid him $9/hour and also paid for his travel time as he was biking 15 minutes each way (sometimes twice a day due to a heatwave) and wrote him a reference as well. The university and lawn services pay $7.25 to $8.00/hour but people get more hours. When he got home from being paid, his mom texted a bit miffed at how much it was. I think I embarrassed her. Like I told her, I am all for training kids to work hard and to expect to be treated well by employers.

Around here one can pay between $15 and $30/hour for cleaning. A company will charge more than an individual; however, the company is also bonded and insured. Clarify if you are providing cleaning products. (Personally, I preferred to supply my own.) When I was on bedrest and my kids were little, I had cleaning. It’s important to ballpark how much would get done per session. (One gal I had started off great and slowly did less and less. She also used a massive amount of cleaning products to the point that I wondered if she was taking them home.)

Your acquaintance should have a fee schedule and/or do estimates if she’s running a business. Is she just starting out? If that is too awkward a conversation now, this business relationship may have some other bumps ahead.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I pay $120 cash to an individual for a 1600 sq. ft. 2 story townhouse. She brings the supplies. 3-4h total work. We are flexible on schedules. Typically a monthly cleaning.

I don't really know what a deep clean would be relative to what she does. The house seems pretty clean.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

I used to have a business that failed because of your friend’s reasons: everything was custom, I wouldn’t give a straight price, I didn’t have a formula, I was indispensable and worked 16 hours a day, etc.

So: I endured many feast and famine cycles, and eventually burned out and closed shop.

Many years later I read The E-Myth... D’oh!

Wanna do her a big favor? Show her that book.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Thanks, everyone. The responses give me some good ideas for a starting point.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

$20 monthly for sweeping, cleaning and washing utensils, takes 30 to 45 minutes a day. Started at $10 ~7 years ago.