The extreme cheapskate

Move along, nothing to see here!
Sathera

The extreme cheapskate

Post by Sathera »

There are new episodes of the show, there is this lady that I think is actually pretty decent. Some stuff like the toiletpaper and rationing their kids meals I am not a fan of. But other than that this is one of the less extreme cases on the show. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7CVT1jcqsM

I love the fact that the is starting to farm in her back yard.

Frita

Re: The extreme cheapskate

Post by Frita »

She falls into the level 5 Wheaten level focusing on tips and tricks. Some thoughts:
* Teaching children portion control and to use the right amount are fine in my book. Like you, I bristle a bit at the word choice of “ration.” Perhaps because it implies not having enough or the connotation to war? Many people waste a ton of food, encouraging their children to do the same by heaping too large portions on a plate, including the federal school lunch program. I am a “Take what you want. Eat what you take.” person. Juice is as sugary as soda so if she’s going to give it to her kids, watering it down is smart. (We use a ratio of 1 part juice to 3 parts water because it still tastes like juice, not juice-infused water, but I personally don’t drink it.). Using wads of TP is wasteful and can contribute to plumbing issues. Teaching a baseline amount and how to fold (rather than squish in a ball) as well as using more based on one’s output is just part of parenting or working with young children/students with higher special needs.
* Walking around with a basket and asking neighbors for food they weren’t going to use seemed odd. They seemed like they were finding something to gift her rather than giving her food slated to be trashed. It seems like she could refine this.
* It seems like she uses quite a bit of processed food so kudos on raising animals in the backyard. I am curious how that endeavor is going. Her focus is more on saving money than a web of goals approach (lessons/pets for kids, use of compost food waste, fertilizer, exercise, better utilizing backyard, perhaps a business selling eggs and milk, etc.).