What should I be listening to?

Move along, nothing to see here!
reepicheep

What should I be listening to?

Post by reepicheep »

*Should* is, obviously, not what I really care about.

Mostly I listen to James Taylor on loop. There are reasons for that, but they are irrelevant to this question. I have spotify premium now and I'm wasting the potential there just listening to JT.

Billie Eilish pretty good.

What else?

TopHatFox

Re: What should I be listening to?

Post by TopHatFox »

if you like Billie, try Aurora

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I thought I had replied to this, so sorry if it comes through too often.

U2

Mumford and Sons

Cranberries (it makes me cry that one of them died and I will never hear them live)

Monsters and Men (I'm going Wednesday to see them!)

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Slayer

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Colter Wall and Shakey Graves for folk

Proleter for trip-hop and Jon Wayne for rap

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Bankai wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:54 am
Slayer
<3

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Pearl Jam. I only found them recently but I love hearing Eddie Vetter sing. He has a nice voice, about the same range as mine.

Ego

Post by Ego »

If you like James Taylor the algos would recommend Cat Stevens, Jim Croche, Van Morrison, Carol King, Joan Baez, Simon and Garfunkel,...

Where is Dragline to recommend that guy with a mouth full of gravel?

C40

Post by C40 »

I think this is really not the crowd to ask.

But, here are some.

Given you like James Taylor a lot, here are some more modern musicians you may like
- Bon Iver (listen to his first two albums - the self titled one, and "For Emma, Forever ago". Try this song, and this song)
- Lord Huron (try this song)
- Alexi Murdoch (Try this song)
- Ray LaMontagne (try this song)
- Gregory Alan Isakov (try this song)

As far as older guys, others would know better. But you're missing out on some things in life if you don't listen to:
- Townes Van Zandt (See Pancho and lefty, If I needed you, Close your eyes. Note - his music - more-so most of his other songs - get super dark.. And if you're into Van Zandt, you have to watch this - a short little documentary about his son)
- Bob Dylan
- ? Willie Nelson?
- ?

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

@C40,

I really can't be doing worse in this respect than I am currently. Thank you for the suggestions!

GandK

Post by GandK »

Depends what you're trying to accomplish...?

My writing music is not my jogging music is not my driving music is not my meditation music. And I don't smoke weed, so I don't have veg music.

What part of your life are you trying to lay down a track for?

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

C40 has some really good suggestions! I keep forgetting to add Lord Huron to my Pandora channels.... Townes was a better song writer than singer, but he was a better singer than most song writers.... a great poet.

Loner

Post by Loner »

If James Taylor, maybe Neil Young?

If you give a wider range of artists you like, and what you'd like to "use" the music for (energizing, running, relaxing, crying, dancing, simply appreciating the complexity of rhythms/melodies/tones, etc.), it might be easier to suggest something possibly relevant to you.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

Appreciate all suggestions so far. Listened to Mumford and Sons and Aurora in the car today.

Answers to questions:

1. James Taylor, Beatles, Joni Mitchell, Jack Johnson, Nina Simone, Wardruna, occasionally the soundtrack to "Wicked" or other Broadway shows I've seen

2. Mostly driving. Spend a lot of time driving. Probably about to spend even more time driving due to childcare needs of a resident. I also put music on as background for everything else I do in the RV, which is mostly writing and cooking and weaving/sewing. I don't really jog or exercise to music (because eww, running, and also broke my elbow rock climbing and been recovering from that for more than a year).

3. Answer to unasked question, shifting from consumer to producer. I'm going to take guitar lessons from another resident in the New Year. Mostly I want to play James Taylor. I get all into learning to play the guitar every few years and then forget everything I learn. We'll see if this time it sticks.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Dark Space (Space black métal)
Grauzone (snowy électro pop)
Pisse (krautpunk)
Josquin des prés (early french touch)
Danheim (old Scholl gabber)

GandK

Post by GandK »

reepicheep wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:32 am
Answers to questions:

2. Mostly driving. Spend a lot of time driving. Probably about to spend even more time driving due to childcare needs of a resident. I also put music on as background for everything else I do in the RV, which is mostly writing and cooking and weaving/sewing. I don't really jog or exercise to music (because eww, running, and also broke my elbow rock climbing and been recovering from that for more than a year).
My favorite writing music: Hildegard von Bingen, Visions, Living Fountain That whole album is amazing. I either need music with non-English or non-Spanish lyrics to write to, or no lyrics at all. If my mind starts parsing words, it's over. Too distracting. I'm also likely to be listening to Mendelssohn's songs without words.

When driving I listen to audio books mostly, or old BBC radio plays... I may not be much help there. Unless you like those, too. Get on YouTube and look up a user called Tace Cook for an enormous set of the plays.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Hm. If it's for driving, them perhaps something like Deep Purple. Highway Star is the driving song par excellence. The Allman Brothers also. It's somewhat close to Mumford and Sons, with a country-ish sound.

If your head hurts after too much Deep Purple, maybe some samba or bossa nova. I find it very relaxing. Check out albums like Getz/Gilberto, Jazz Samba and Os Afro-sambas. Jorge Ben also has some great stuff. If you like jazzy stuff, then perhaps some Kenny Burrell.

Maybe Crosby, Stills, Nash also, if you like James Taylor.

Wrt to playing guitar, yeah, it is fun. You stop(ped) playing because of lack of time? If it's painful (I know some people stop playing because the string hurts their finger), get smaller stringers or switch to a classical (or even an unplugged electric) for a while. After a moment, you build calluses and you can't feel it.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Meanwhile, off in another music universe just for a challenge:
Laurie Anderson
Future Sound of London
Caro Emerald
Squirrel Nut Zippers

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

What George said:

Ya those are good.

But Decemberists too. And the Pogues..

Oh shit.

Roy Orbison just came on my Pandora... I cant sing like that. I got nothing. And no I didn't want to fall in love. With anybody. It just happened.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I don't know, but I am worried that a fire might spark out of the AI algorithm running server trying to parse some kind of logical correlation out of Millennial, S&M, and James Taylor. I mean, I wouldn't exactly call the flavor of sex I associate with the music of James Taylor "vanilla", but it would definitely be very mellow and accessory free (well, unless you count the apple you turned into a bong just prior to very slowly unzipping your hip-hugger flare jeans as an accessory.)

So, if you want to conserve a little bit of CO2, I suggest that you at least make a lateral move within same time-frame (road trip from West Coast to NYC) and listen to something more like the Velvet Underground.