Found plagiarism in financial article - what should I do?

Move along, nothing to see here!
Lucky C

Found plagiarism in financial article - what should I do?

Post by Lucky C »

I just found a recently published finance article from a prominent investment advice website that was largely plagiarized from another finance blogger's article published about 7 years ago. I stumbled upon this easily when searching a phrase from the article to check where the stat came from, and I'm guessing I could find other cases of plagiarism from other articles if I started digging. I figure this is a widespread problem with many writers feeling they need to come up with articles on a regular basis, but I'm still surprised that I found this plagiarism so easily with one Google search.

The plagiarist's articles get published/linked on other prominent finance sites, so if I were to submit evidence of plagiarism to those sites, that might get him kicked off the other sites. Maybe not. Can't say I care all that much either way.

I imagine there is no "plagiarism tip line" that gives rewards, so I would not be able to legally profit from this info (since I'm not going to attempt any sort of blackmail)?

What would you do in this situation?

Jason

Re: Found plagiarism in financial article - what should I do?

Post by Jason »

Get a life.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Send an email to the original author and let them know. They'll take it from there if they want to.

PS: It could be a case of the same person under different pen names. It could also be a case of the original author having sold their rights, etc.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

They both use their real names and images in media so not the same person. But it also could be that the recent article I saw copy-pastes segments from their older articles, and the suspected plagiarizer might have actually been the victim of plagiarism several years ago.

Anyway yeah if I was the victim I would want to be emailed so that's what I'll do!