Vast Swaths of the Arctic On Fire

Move along, nothing to see here!
bigato

Vast Swaths of the Arctic On Fire

Post by bigato » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:44 pm

“Vast stretches of Earth’s northern latitudes are on fire right now. Hot weather has engulfed a huge portion of the Arctic, from Alaska to Greenland to Siberia. That’s helped create conditions ripe for wildfires, including some truly massive ones burning in remote parts of the region that are being seen by satellites.”

https://earther.gizmodo.com/satellite-i ... 1836500468

theanimal

Re: Vast Swaths of the Arctic On Fire

Post by theanimal » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:50 pm

It was bad for a while. About 2/3 of Alaska was covered in smoke. It started raining though in much of the state over the past two weeks so most of the fires have died down quite a bit. There's only a faint amount of smoke present now in most areas outside the vicinity of the fires. It's been the biggest fire year since 2015, but still only about 1/8th the size of what it was in 2004.

J_

Post by J_ » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:36 am

@ theanimal. Ahh, this week I fly to Alaska, Anchorage and from August 1st I start from Seward sailing along the Alaska and Canadian coast south with a friend. Do the fire has an impact there?

theanimal

Post by theanimal » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:13 am

J - One of the big fires was to the west on the other side of the mountains from Seward. It was very smoky there a couple weeks ago but from what I've heard and seen on cameras there is little to no smoke now. The southeast region of the state has been going through a large drought but it's very rare for there to be fires. You are unlikely to be impacted at all. Have a great trip! That sounds outstanding. That is an incredible area.

J_

Post by J_ » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:11 pm

@ theanimal: thanks for your quick response. You made some photos of Valdez and Prince William Sound in your journal. I look forward to see it in reality.