Enneagram

Move along, nothing to see here!
wolf

Enneagram

Post by wolf »

I made an overview about the Enneagram Types and their unhealthy/average/healthy traits.

What's interesting, that they mention "self-sufficiency, financial independence, and having enough resources" at the average level 4 at Enneagram Type 8 "THE CHALLENGER". (level 1 is at their best. In total there are 9 levels)

Another thing I like is the name for Enneagram Type 5 with a wing to Type 4. It is called "The Iconoclast". First I didn't know that name. I googled it and I learned the meaning of it. An Iconoclast is "One who attacks and seeks to overthrow traditional or popular ideas or institutions"*.
If I remember back, when I was reading the ERE-Book, I felt quite like that (in a very positive sense). Thank you Jacob ! ;)

*TheFreeDictionary

If you want to have a look at an Enneagram overview, here is the Google document:
Ennegram Types and Traits

Based on this source:
Enneagram Institute - Type Descriptions

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Enneagram

Post by jacob »

I have yet to understand the wing-system. It's supposed to be the underlying structure of enneagram, similar to how the functional stack underlies MBTI.

FWIW, I score highest on 5 followed by 1. I score lowest on 2. However, 5 with a 1-wing is apparently not a thing...

Clarice

Post by Clarice »

jacob wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:42 pm

FWIW, I score highest on 5 followed by 1. I score lowest on 2. However, 5 with a 1-wing is apparently not a thing...
If you click on the link below and scroll down you will see how similarity between 5 and 1 is "a thing".

http://www.fitzel.ca/enneagram/Type5.html

wolf

Post by wolf »

According to the Enneagram model wings are neighbours. But I do find many similarities between my behaviour and values in other types besides 4 and 6.

@clarice: thanks for further information about type 5. I gotta read it ;)

This is another text about the connection between MBTI and Enneagram regarding Type 5 and INxx. I find the combination of that two personality type models quite useful.

Enneagram Type 5 (5w4 & 5w6): Insights for INTP, INTJ, INFJ & INFP Types

Clarice

Post by Clarice »

I believe that enneagram is the best tool to understanding your level, motivation, self-image, etc, at least, it works this way for me. However, when you go through a very humbling and quite unpleasant realization of your current level and ask yourself, "Where do I go from here?" the best tool to help you in your journey is MBTI. I always imagine a family in a car and ask myself, "How do you make your family functional?" When I feel that I am sliding I ask myself sternly,"Girl, where's your mother?" FWIW, I am type 5 wing 6 INTJ. You know the stack:
Father - introverted intuition;
Mother - extroverted thinking;
10-year-old girl - introverted feeling;
3-year-old girl - extroverted sensing.
The biggest bang for the buck is to develop extroverted thinking. The most frequent danger is to bypass it by perceiving a pattern as unfavorable, feeling bad, and letting a 10-year-old run the show. The biggest limitation is to realize that your mother is forever stuck with a 3-year-old. Oh well...

wolf

Post by wolf »

There are so many personality typing tools/models available, that I wanted to focus on one of them. I chose the Ennegram, in order to have a guide for the next months or so. Currently I'm trying to work my way from FIVE to EIGHT, because that is the path of integration for an FIVE.

The "family in a car" is a great example of using the MBTI type in order to understand. I try to use my personality type (INTJ) as good as possible, using strengths and having solutions for weaknesses. What I don't like about the MBTI, is that it doesn't show possible path for evolution/growth/development into other personality traits, e.g. you start at INTJ 50%, grow to 75%, and with determination to INTJ 90-100%. What comes next? Are there alternatives? I'd like to think, that one can also develop the opposite sides, like from T to F, from I to E. That would be great in my opinion, because then 1) I would understand people better and 2) I had more flexibility/repertoire in my possible behaviours/decisions.

@Clarice: How do you think about possible development paths within the Ennegram or MBTI? Did you try something? How did it work?

CS

Post by CS »

@wolf

You want to be an eight? I am an eight, barely (1 higher than both 5 and 1 which are tied for next highest), and was feeling a wee bit bad about it.

Clarice

Post by Clarice »

@wolf:
I just eyeball the levels of Enneagram and tolerate the pain of admitting the truth. :lol: For concrete steps of improving myself I've used for awhile Personality Hacker. In terms of Enneagram my area of growth is type 8, which for all practical purposes means ENTJ, which for me means developing extroverted thinking and subjugating my 10-year-old introverted feeling to mommy while not allowing her to hijack the show. :idea: